Dags

DS-260 and unknown residency address

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm a military spouse, and we're currently are leaving in England. That's where from we've stared our immigration process and where my visa interview and such will be happening. We will be moving to US in new year - about Feb time. 

One of the sections in DS-260 form is asking about Permanent Address where you aim to live when immigrating to US. However, we still don't know where about in US we will be PCSing too. Also, even when we find out where about, then we will be living on the base for few weeks until we find a house to rent/buy. 

image.png.ddad4eab6960fb044d206af22bed4095.png

What is your experiences whilst filling in the form? Do you just put unknown? Or do you put address of your spouse's parents - his home of record address? I assume that's where the green card would be mailed too?

Any advises would be great! thanks guys! :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dags said:

Or do you put address of your spouse's parents - his home of record address? I assume that's where the green card would

That’s what I would do. Once you get settled, there is a change of address form that immigrants are required to submit when they move.

Edited by Wuozopo

21 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

That’s what I would do. Once you get settled, there is a change of address form that immigrants are required to submit when they move.

Yeah that what i was thinking on doing to be fair. Is that true you can change the address at the port of entry? Would that mean i could give them the base address when entering US? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dags said:

Yeah that what i was thinking on doing to be fair. Is that true you can change the address at the port of entry? Would that mean i could give them the base address when entering US? 

How long would the base address be accurate? You want your greencard and Social Security card to get to you and not be returned to USCIS. 

8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

How long would the base address be accurate? You want your greencard and Social Security card to get to you and not be returned to USCIS. 

It difficult to say, as we don't know how fast we will be able to find a house of base. I mean the PO box we get to have on the base - will be actual all the time, even when we move out of the base. 

Or is it just easier to keep it as my husband's home of record address? 

It's really confusing situation. Has anyone else gone through it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
On 9/11/2020 at 5:11 AM, Dags said:

It difficult to say, as we don't know how fast we will be able to find a house of base. I mean the PO box we get to have on the base - will be actual all the time, even when we move out of the base. 

Or is it just easier to keep it as my husband's home of record address? 

It's really confusing situation. Has anyone else gone through it?

I would suggest to use the address of your spouse’s parents just because it’s easier. Your green card could take a long time to arrive, and it’s better to have a mailing address you know won’t change. Then when you have an address you change it to that one, either at POE or if you still don’t have an address when you move, then once you have one. We went through something similar, and I waited to file the DS 260 until my husband had the new address where we were going to live, but then my green card took a long time to arrive and we were pcsing , so it was super stressful not knowing if it was going to arrive before we left. 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:52 AM, Iscir said:

I would suggest to use the address of your spouse’s parents just because it’s easier. Your green card could take a long time to arrive, and it’s better to have a mailing address you know won’t change. Then when you have an address you change it to that one, either at POE or if you still don’t have an address when you move, then once you have one. We went through something similar, and I waited to file the DS 260 until my husband had the new address where we were going to live, but then my green card took a long time to arrive and we were pcsing , so it was super stressful not knowing if it was going to arrive before we left. 

thanks for sharing your experience!  I think that's what we're going to do, just use his home of record address. Don't they ask why the address is let's say far away from the POE place?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Dags said:

Don't they ask why the address is let's say far away from the POE place?

You can POE anywhere. People might be catching another flight across country or planning a long drive visiting relatives along the way. There is really no reason to question which airport you POE. You could also answer (if they asked) that you nave to use your family address until the Army has sorted out a base address, then you will submit a new address to USCIS.

Edited by Wuozopo

3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You can POE anywhere. People might be catching another flight across country or planning a long drive visiting relatives along the way. 

yeah fair point! thanks for pointing out, that's really helpful

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Read my edit.

I just did. Thanks! 😊 totally make sense. I guess it can’t be so uncommon, there is so many military families around.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dags said:

I just did. Thanks! 😊 totally make sense. I guess it can’t be so uncommon, there is so many military families around.

That really made me laugh 😉😉

Forget about that really fast. Just because something should be common or known of especially with military life doesn't mean it is. Not talking about your topic specific but the everyday life 😊 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.