Dr. Bob

U.S. Embassy in Bangkok Reopening on October 1

81 posts in this topic

Another misc data point: we did the medical exam back in March so had to redo it now. That first exam was extra expensive because some vaccinations were needed. Then this second exam was ALSO more expensive because 3 more vaccinations were needed (at least one was "part 2" of an earlier inoculation).

I'm just throwing this out their in case, like me, you thought the second exam might be cheaper. Turns out both were north of 10,0000 B. This was at Bumrungrad, where my (old?) document says the price should be 6900. It doesn't matter long term since (I assume) those boosters or whatever would have been needed to be done Stateside if things had not closed down for the intervening months.

Edited by x3n

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 9/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, x3n said:

Another misc data point: we did the medical exam back in March so had to redo it now. That first exam was extra expensive because some vaccinations were needed. Then this second exam was ALSO more expensive because 3 more vaccinations were needed (at least one was "part 2" of an earlier inoculation).

I'm just throwing this out their in case, like me, you thought the second exam might be cheaper. Turns out both were north of 10,0000 B. This was at Bumrungrad, where my (old?) document says the price should be 6900. It doesn't matter long term since (I assume) those boosters or whatever would have been needed to be done Stateside if things had not closed down for the intervening months.

I think Bumrungrad would be the most expensive location to choose for the medical.

5 hours ago, elkski said:

I think Bumrungrad would be the most expensive location to choose for the medical.

There are only 2 options, and Bumrungrad is the cheaper one (7,100 baht).

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/medical-instuctions-june-2020-english.pdf

Timeline
On 9/21/2020 at 5:12 AM, zachp said:

Our emergency request was approved and we were able to make an appointment on Oct 6.

If nothing changes my Fiancé' has her interview for 6 October as well.

There are 3 holidays coming up after that date so we think that getting her visa will be delayed a bit.

We are planning on her visa arriving almost 2 weeks later.

Timeline
11 hours ago, KnoxThai said:

If nothing changes my Fiancé' has her interview for 6 October as well.

There are 3 holidays coming up after that date so we think that getting her visa will be delayed a bit.

We are planning on her visa arriving almost 2 weeks later.

She may see Fah there then! I am back stateside now, had to leave when Amnesty ended on Sept 26th. We have a flight booked for her on the 9th, hopefully things go as they used to and passports are returned the next day, she scheduled to pick it up at the post office.

To anyone looking at travel arrangements, Qatar Airways has a very flexible change policy that we're using so she can fly as soon as she gets her passport back basically. Fingers crossed we don't get stuck in Administrative processing. Keep in mind, they dont allow changes to be made within the first 14 days of making a booking but anyone with an appointment in late October to November, it may be a good option to look at. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, zachp said:

She may see Fah there then! I am back stateside now, had to leave when Amnesty ended on Sept 26th. We have a flight booked for her on the 9th, hopefully things go as they used to and passports are returned the next day, she scheduled to pick it up at the post office.

To anyone looking at travel arrangements, Qatar Airways has a very flexible change policy that we're using so she can fly as soon as she gets her passport back basically. Fingers crossed we don't get stuck in Administrative processing. Keep in mind, they dont allow changes to be made within the first 14 days of making a booking but anyone with an appointment in late October to November, it may be a good option to look at. 

My Fiancé Nutruja is going with another woman she met on Facebook. I'll send her your profile picture and tell her to keep an eye out for Fah.  Nutruja's appointment is at 9:30a. She's currently staying in a hotel not far from the embassy.

I would love to think you are correct and they will have their visas in just a few days. We were hearing about delays for visas but I just messaged Nutruja and she thinks she'll have her visa by Saturday (she lives in Surat Thani).

United Airlines is also allowing flights to be changed without penalty. Nutruja is scheduled to fly through Japan and into DC but there are many other flights going through Asia that we could have chosen. 

Thanks for the travel pointers. My fiancé' (Pattama) has her interview scheduled for October 13th and we're hoping to get her on a plane near the end of the month. She's also coordinating with people from the Thai Facebook group to travel together since she's never flown before and is very nervous about doing such a long trip (and transfers) alone. I guess that's going to be pretty common until Thailand starts letting us farang back in.

1 hour ago, x3n said:

Thanks for the travel pointers. My fiancé' (Pattama) has her interview scheduled for October 13th and we're hoping to get her on a plane near the end of the month. She's also coordinating with people from the Thai Facebook group to travel together since she's never flown before and is very nervous about doing such a long trip (and transfers) alone. I guess that's going to be pretty common until Thailand starts letting us farang back in.

Do you know which Facebook group that she's coordinating with other people? My wife and I have just submitted docs to NVC for CR-1 visa, and we are wondering how big is the interview backlog at the US Embassy in Bangkok. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, x3n said:

My Fiancé will be traveling soon and at this time she will travel alone. She has one connection in Japan (before she reaches the US) but she is not worried about this because we traveled to Japan together last December and the people in Japan were so kind and helpful in every case we needed assistance. We will probably use WhatsApp while she is changing planes in Japan to communicate with each other and I'll help her as much as I can as well.

She is also a member of the Thai Facebook page and she has met some people and received some helpful information from that group but I don't think anyone is flying at the same time as she is traveling.

She can communicate with me with WhatsApp while she is flying so she will probably do that for the long leg of the journey here. (Video chat is not available while flying)

Timeline
5 hours ago, KnoxThai said:

Small world!

My Fiancé met Fah and they talked for a bit at the embassy today.

Hope you had a good result too. 

Yeah, Fah mentioned that they met. Approved so now we just have to wait for the passport. Hoping it is soon but regardless, I'm happy this step of the process is complete. 

15 hours ago, PK_ said:

Do you know which Facebook group that she's coordinating with other people? 

This is the Thai facebook group that Pattama has been using as a resource throughout this process:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/visausa.thai/

She's not using it specifically to coordinate travel; she's just trying to coordinate her travel with someone she knows from the group.

I wish now that I had chosen the 7th for our interview date since we did end up getting the medical exam paperwork back in time (only took a a few days). But I suppose the 13th will be here soon enough - and it's very encouraging to hear that the embassy really is holding interviews and approving visas once again.

Timeline
On 10/6/2020 at 10:42 AM, x3n said:

This is the Thai facebook group that Pattama has been using as a resource throughout this process:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/visausa.thai/

She's not using it specifically to coordinate travel; she's just trying to coordinate her travel with someone she knows from the group.

I wish now that I had chosen the 7th for our interview date since we did end up getting the medical exam paperwork back in time (only took a a few days). But I suppose the 13th will be here soon enough - and it's very encouraging to hear that the embassy really is holding interviews and approving visas once again.

Congrats on the progress.   But you started in July so 15 months.  440 days  or so.   UsCIS is a disgrace. Im a good 7 months and covid behind you. 

If you had a successful interview already in October, could you let me know when you get (or got) the Visa etc. (and whether it was mailed or picked up)?

Our interview is on the 13th and I'm trying to get a ballpark figure for how long they are currently taking so we can start to rough out a travel schedule.

Thank you very much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.