Michael040619

K-1 I-134 sponsor just fiancée’s parent?

21 posts in this topic

So the title is the question here. I’ve read in various places before that another person besides the fiancé petitioner can fill out an I-134 (unlike the I-184). For example, my fiancée’s father? Without my fiancée having to fill one out too. Is this absolutely correct?

I noticed someone else on a Facebook group mention that the US citizen petitioner has to fill out one as well, but isn’t that just for the I-184? At the moment, we just have one filled out by her father and it meets the minimum income requirements as well as 125%. Can someone provide some affirmation if this is true?

The main reason for this is my fiancée hasn’t worked a full year yet and doesn’t have a most recent tax return despite the fact her new job’s income would be sufficient for us on the form. Some advice about completing a I-184 down the road without a tax return for the petitioner would also be helpful and appreciated if possible. 

Thank you in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

the petitioner is ALWAYS the primary sponsor.  Anyone else is considered a co- or joint sponsor depending on the affidavit being submitted 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

the petitioner is ALWAYS the primary sponsor.  Anyone else is considered a co- or joint sponsor depending on the affidavit being submitted 

Do you have any sources that definitely prove that the petitioner has to fill out an I-134 as well? I’ve read that other people have just had a parent fill it out and they’ve been fine. Also, would be helpful to provide a solution to the lack of a tax return dilemma. Thanks!

Timeline
Just now, Michael040619 said:

Do you have any sources that definitely prove that the petitioner has to fill out an I-134 as well? I’ve read that other people have just had a parent fill it out and they’ve been fine. Also, would be helpful to provide a solution to the lack of a tax return dilemma. Thanks!

No dilemma,  you simply provide an explanation as to why the USC was not required to file 

YMMV

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No dilemma,  you simply provide an explanation as to why the USC was not required to file 

So she could state she simply didn’t have a job at that time? But for the I-184, what can she provide instead if she doesn’t have a tax return? What’s a good method of proving monthly income?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Michael040619 said:

So she could state she simply didn’t have a job at that time? But for the I-184, what can she provide instead if she doesn’t have a tax return? What’s a good method of proving monthly income?

She explains that her income was less than the minimum required to file a return.   

Paystubs are a good way to show current income 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Michael040619 said:

Hi,

I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the K1 process.  First, review the official sites - USCIS and DOS.  Then check out some guides, like the one here on Visajourneys.  The last thing to rely on is random things on the internet...

For your specific question, DOS website for information regarding K1:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Proof of Financial Support and Affidavit of Support Forms

During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the consular officer that they will not become a public charge in the United States. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to submit Form I-864 to USCIS with the application for adjustment of status to that of legal permanent resident following the marriage.

Although I-134 is officially optional, I have not seen a case where it was not asked/required.

23 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the K1 process.  First, review the official sites - USCIS and DOS.  Then check out some guides, like the one here on Visajourneys.  The last thing to rely on is random things on the internet...

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

I am as familiar with the process as anyone could be. I’ve read all of this. Thanks. Like anything on the internet, I will take this with a pinch of salt. I’ve contacted the embassy directly regarding this. Irrespective of your answer, it does not change the indisputable fact that others appear to have been issued K-1 visas with a relative of the petitioner as the sole I-134 sponsor. This form is not legally binding and is not the same as I-184. 

Edited by Michael040619

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Michael040619 said:

I am as familiar with the process as anyone could be. I’ve read all of this. Thanks. Like anything on the internet, I will take this with a pinch of salt. I’ve contacted the embassy directly regarding this. Irrespective of your answer, it does not change the indisputable fact that others appear to have been issued K-1 visas with a relative of the petitioner as the sole I-134 sponsor. This form is not legally binding and is not the same as I-184. 

Interesting.

The offical US Department of State website on K1 visa information needs to be taken with a pinch of salt....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I-184?

New one to me.

I actually self sponsored the I-134, seemed much easier.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
51 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

You aren't familiar with Manila then which historically requests the i134 maybe 10% of the time 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You aren't familiar with Manila then which historically requests the i134 maybe 10% of the time 

Correct, I am not familiar with Manila.  I am going by the posts, which are typically from those that don't have an I-134 and need it versus the other way around.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Interesting.

The offical US Department of State website on K1 visa information needs to be taken with a pinch of salt....

The DoS clearly just anticipates that in most cases the fiancé would be the person sponsoring the I-134 as well as the fiancé petition. However, as my correspondence with my local embassy indicates, it is not necessary for the fiancé to fill it out. Pinch of salt indeed. :)

AE9C518E-4B32-4854-B540-7F0B4CD7DA60.jpeg

Timeline
1 hour ago, Michael040619 said:

The DoS clearly just anticipates that in most cases the fiancé would be the person sponsoring the I-134 as well as the fiancé petition. However, as my correspondence with my local embassy indicates, it is not necessary for the fiancé to fill it out. Pinch of salt indeed. :)

AE9C518E-4B32-4854-B540-7F0B4CD7DA60.jpeg

And this response is applicable to London only.

YMMV

OP,  feel free to do whatever you're comfortable with, what you've read on FB or seen on YouTube etc.  Keep in mind though, that the consulate is also free to ask for something which you may or may not have prepared for the interview, which could delay your process.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.