J/G

Question about Filing N-400 Online

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello Everyone, 

My 90 days window to file N400 will open at the end of September 2020. At the moment I have an I-751 pending (filed September 2019, WAC case number). I will be applying for citizenship based on marriage and planned to submit the application online via https://my.uscis.gov/. I have several questions and I hope someone can enlighten me or direct me to the right post.

1. Re: Evidence; 3 years tax return. My husband (US Citizen) retired in 2012, left the US and travelled internationally beginning 2013. While he was traveling abroad he made ZERO income. He simply live from his savings and travelled. Advised by his tax lawyer he did not file tax from 2013 - 2017. We moved to the US, got married, and begin my AOS in 2017. In December 2017, I got my 2-year Conditional Green Card and as of March 2018 I began my employment in the US. We filed tax jointly for the 2018 and 2019 Fiscal Year. So when I have to submit the last 3 years of tax return documents, I only have our 2018 and 2019. Would this be an issue? During AOS process (i-485) we submitted a letter explaining our situation and we had no issue with my application. What are your thoughts? 

2. Would applying for N-400 when my I-751 still pending create complications? These days I feel somewhat uneasy, with the coming election, pandemic, and whatnot. Anyone in the same boat in 2020? Please advise. 

3. Am I correct to think that the REQUIRED evidence for N400 are only: Tax return (3 years), Certificate of Marriage, and Green Card (front and Back). Everything else would be considered supplementary and may be submitted with my application or bring during interview. Please advise. 

4. What supplementary evidence would rank higher? Please advise.

I hope someone can help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. 

Take care, everyone. Stay safe, healthy, and God bless the USA!

J/G 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. I don't know the answer to this. I'm surprised you were never asked for it. I understand that it's one of the evidences that you could have submitted. However, those who've resided overseas have been tasked with reestablishing domicile and getting their taxes up to date while petitioning for their immigrant spouses. 

2. Nope not at all. If your N400 window opens, go ahead and file.

3. When you start filing online, the online system will tell you what to submit based on some answers. Those would be primary evidences. Supplements come later too.

4. There's no high or low. Just submit what you have. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, J/G said:

Hello Everyone, 

My 90 days window to file N400 will open at the end of September 2020. At the moment I have an I-751 pending (filed September 2019, WAC case number). I will be applying for citizenship based on marriage and planned to submit the application online via https://my.uscis.gov/. I have several questions and I hope someone can enlighten me or direct me to the right post.

1. Re: Evidence; 3 years tax return. My husband (US Citizen) retired in 2012, left the US and travelled internationally beginning 2013. While he was traveling abroad he made ZERO income. He simply live from his savings and travelled. Advised by his tax lawyer he did not file tax from 2013 - 2017. We moved to the US, got married, and begin my AOS in 2017. In December 2017, I got my 2-year Conditional Green Card and as of March 2018 I began my employment in the US. We filed tax jointly for the 2018 and 2019 Fiscal Year. So when I have to submit the last 3 years of tax return documents, I only have our 2018 and 2019. Would this be an issue? During AOS process (i-485) we submitted a letter explaining our situation and we had no issue with my application. What are your thoughts? 

2. Would applying for N-400 when my I-751 still pending create complications? These days I feel somewhat uneasy, with the coming election, pandemic, and whatnot. Anyone in the same boat in 2020? Please advise. 

3. Am I correct to think that the REQUIRED evidence for N400 are only: Tax return (3 years), Certificate of Marriage, and Green Card (front and Back). Everything else would be considered supplementary and may be submitted with my application or bring during interview. Please advise. 

4. What supplementary evidence would rank higher? Please advise.

I hope someone can help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. 

Take care, everyone. Stay safe, healthy, and God bless the USA!

J/G 

Hi,

I have a pending I751 and submitted N400 today. I am under the impression, based on others' experiences, that filing N400 gives your application a priority as they have to look at your I751 if your N400 moves faster.

This is the list of documents I submitted with my N400 application:

1.     Cover letter of the contents for N-400 Application for Naturalization

2.     Marriage certificate to a US spouse.

3.     Green Card front and back

4.     Copy of our Child’s, birth certificate and US passport

5.     Copy of my spouse's and my driver licenses from 4 different states we have resided in in the last 4 years showing same addresses

6.     Copy of our lease from 4 different states we have resided in in the last 4 years and a copy of the mortgage deed for the house that we recently bought in June 2020 that we currently reside in.

7.     Copy of Home insurance for the house that we bought

8.     Copy of bank statements of 4 years (1/year)

9.     Car insurance carrying our names

10.  A collection of pictures with our son over the span of 2 years on different occasions.

Don't have an answer for your question 1. I assume that you can create an IRS account and download your filing for all the years and include why you haven't filed for 2017? Can call USCIS and ask or wait for more expert input.

Best of luck

Edited by WI_CA

J1 Waiver Timeline- No-Objection Statement

• Statement Of Reason Received October, 11 2016
  • Passport Data Page Received October, 11 2016
  • Form DS-2019 Received October, 11 2016
  • Form DS-3035 October, 11 2016
  • Fee Received October, 11 2016
  • No Objection Statement Received November 07, 2016
  • Incomplete Information Letter Sent November 08, 2016
  • Change of Address Received November 09, 2016
  • No Objection Statement Received November, 25 2016
  • Department of State Decision: Favorable Recommendation. Date Recommendation Sent November, 30 2016
  • USCIS NOA December 13, 2016 - Dated December 6, 2016
  • USCIS NOA - approval - March 21, 2017 - Dated March 13, 2017 (Waiver Journey Done)
AOS FROM J-1 (Married Jan 04, 2016)
  • Day xx - Dec-10-2016 Package sent
  • Day 00 - Dec-12-2016 - AOS Package Delivered [Chicago Lockbox]
  • Day 09 - Dec-21-2016 - Checks Cashed
  • Day 11 - Dec-23-2016 - electronic NOAs X4!!! (12:30 am) email and text notifications
  • Day 15 - Dec-27-2016 - NOAs in the mail; Dated 12/22/2016
  • Day 26 - Jan-07-2017 - Biometrics letter for 1/18/2017
  • Day 28 - Jan-09-2017 - Successful walk-in for biometrics (Cleveland USCIS)
  • Day 29 - Jan-10-2017 - RFIE (I-864)
  • Day 45 - Jan-26-2017 - RFIE response sent 
  • Day 49 - Jan-30-2017 - RFIE delivered to USCIS @ Lees Summit, MO
  • Day 50 - Jan-31-2017 - RFIE response received by USCIS (case update)
  • Day 100 - March -22-2017 - EAD card being produced (4 text msgs!!)

• Day 105 - March -27-2017 - EAD & AP approval notices in the mail

• Day 107 - March-29-2017 - EAD & AP mailed to me

• Day 110 - April-01-2017 - EAD/AP combo card received

• Day 171 - June-01-2017 - request change address to Pittsburgh, PA

• Day 319 - Oct - 27 - 2017 - Interview notice for November 30

• Day 353 - Nov - 30 - 2017 - Interview date. Approved on the spot.

• Day 361 - Dec - 08 - 2017 - Approval notice in the mail, dated 12/4/2017. USPS update later showing GC picked

• Day 362 - Dec - 09 - 2017 - GC in the mail. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.