MexicoExpat

Any news/rumors on Ciudad Juarez consulate re-opening?

35 posts in this topic

9 Mexican states including Chihuahua have now entered into "yellow" but no matter who you contact, or how many people you ask, there is ZERO information available on when the consulate will open and resume taking non-emergency visa appointments. 

My wife and I are now approaching 6 months since the date our original interview was scheduled for and subsequently cancelled.

Most of our documents and our medical exam have expired. We have applied for an emergency appointment and were denied. We are applying for IR-1 so our visa category is not suspended. 

It's becoming so frustrating to see consulates opening up around the world and resuming interviews, but there's no information available whatsoever for Mexico on even a date range or an estimate of when things are supposed to resume.

Does anyone have any information at all on when things will resume in Mexico?

For the busiest consulate in the world, they are about to be incredibly backlogged when they do open up again.

Edited by MexicoExpat

14 hours ago, In4theJourney said:

Keep hearing dates yet nothing is concrete... 8/31 now 10/22 who knows. It’s frustrating 

Is there anywhere in particular you're hearing things like this? I can't even find a good source for unsubstantiated rumors - it seems so crazy to me that in terms of lockdowns, Mexico's was not nearly as strict as most other countries, and now that the state of Chihuahua is yellow, there's still zero indication of when they will start taking interviews again. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, MexicoExpat said:

Is there anywhere in particular you're hearing things like this? I can't even find a good source for unsubstantiated rumors - it seems so crazy to me that in terms of lockdowns, Mexico's was not nearly as strict as most other countries, and now that the state of Chihuahua is yellow, there's still zero indication of when they will start taking interviews again. 

My guess is they'll open the embassy whenever they fully re-open the border. Currently, border restrictions are in place until September 21. I think it is very likely they'll extend it another month.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

https://mx.usembassy.gov/status-of-u-s-consular-operations-in-mexico-in-light-of-covid-19/

The truth is, no one knows when they'll re-open the embassy.

Edited by trac3rt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, MexicoExpat said:

Most of the time, I see it in the Facebook group for Juarez consulate 

Timeline

Some paralegal posted a video on youtube saying they would resume working on 8/31 so for the past 3 weeks I've been obssessively looking at the Consulate website/twitter/facebook.

The only difference is that Juarez is now processing student visas as well. So thats a start. They started 8/17 but I'm pretty sure they updated the website with this info on 8/28.

Anyone else sick of the 'Tu familia y tu país te necesitan hoy más que nunca. #NoTeArriesgues.. Migrar sin documentos pobe en riesgo tu vida' facebook/twitter message.

Yeah ok how about you reopen for immigrant visas!!! 

And I agree the yellow means they can resume all work operations 🙄🙄🙄

Service Center: Texas Service Center SRC

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-130 NOA1: 2019/03/21

I-130 NOA2: 2019/09/17

NVC DQ: 2020/01/21

Visa Approved: 2021/07/01

6 hours ago, Juliet57 said:

Some paralegal posted a video on youtube saying they would resume working on 8/31 so for the past 3 weeks I've been obssessively looking at the Consulate website/twitter/facebook.

The only difference is that Juarez is now processing student visas as well. So thats a start. They started 8/17 but I'm pretty sure they updated the website with this info on 8/28.

Anyone else sick of the 'Tu familia y tu país te necesitan hoy más que nunca. #NoTeArriesgues.. Migrar sin documentos pobe en riesgo tu vida' facebook/twitter message.

Yeah ok how about you reopen for immigrant visas!!! 

And I agree the yellow means they can resume all work operations 🙄🙄🙄

Would be great if they actually started working again on Monday 8/31. 

The frustrating thing is we can't even get a straight answer on how reschedules will work. 

Our appointment was cancelled only 10 days before it was supposed to take place. 

I have called over 30 times trying to get any information I can, whether we will be given a priority date for rescheduling or not based on how clsoe we were to our appointment. 

They can't even confirm that we won't just have to reschedule our own appointment and fight for a spot with everyone who had their appointments cancelled since March. 

Such a nightmare and poorly handled all around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates?

We are going completely insane at the fact that there is zero indication whatsoever of the consulate opening or them resuming interviews. 

This is so irresponsible on behalf of whoever is involved in the decision to re-open. 

They are playing around with our lives and creating a backlog they will never be able to work through properly.

We will be all be in immigration hell for years to come because of the stupid decisions that are being made here.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

Anyone have any updates?

We are going completely insane at the fact that there is zero indication whatsoever of the consulate opening or them resuming interviews. 

This is so irresponsible on behalf of whoever is involved in the decision to re-open. 

They are playing around with our lives and creating a backlog they will never be able to work through properly.

We will be all be in immigration hell for years to come because of the stupid decisions that are being made here.

Partially closed; emergency appointments only. I don't think they'll fully open it until Covid cases in Mexico start to go down.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/status-of-u-s-consular-operations-in-mexico-in-light-of-covid-19/

The state of Chihuahua is already in yellow. There are no longer any states in Mexico in red. 

This needs to end, NOW.

CDJ is literally the busiest consulate in the entire world. They are screwed (and so are all of us) if they don't open immediately. 

If they do not open and begin processing fiance and spousal visas before the end of the blanket ban on most visa categories until the end of this year (projected), then their backlog will become so unmanageable it is likely to take everyone years to get through the process. 

There is not a single person who is willing to give out any sort of information on this. I call multiple times every single week demanding to speak to managers, supervisors or anyone who can provide any information whatsoever. There is nothing. 

Their answers seem to indicate though once they do start taking appointments again, that we will be responsible for scheduling our own appointments. Meaning that people like my wife and I whose interview was cancelled only 10 days before it was supposed to take place, will not get any sort of priority treatment for rescheduling - and it will be first come first serve for almost a full eyar of missed appointments. 

We are all completely screwed and so many people deserve to be fired over the complete mismanagement of this entire situation. 

They should all be ashamed for screwing with people's lives the way they are. There is no longer a need for this. It's disgusting. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I’m with you there on the frustration. The one thing I will say, there’s been a TON of emergency requests being done in Juarez. if you ask me, I say about 60% are phony. Either way, I hope that eases up a little on the backlog that will ensue. 

i keep hearing rumors of October 5, but honestly, so sick n tired of rumors and feel like people make them up now to get a laugh. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.