Entheos

Sydney Consulate

6 posts in this topic

Thought I'd make a new thread for this so it was clear and obvious...

If you get an appointment at the Sydney Consulate approved for expedited processing, make sure you take a face mask.  It doesn't state it on the website anywhere (actually I did spot it somewhere but it's not in your face) but there is a sign on the door at the entry.  At this stage until further notice they are requiring ANYBODY attending the Consulate to wear one.  Everyone in security and NOT behind a secure screen is wearing one at the consulate.  They will not provide you with one at the consulate.  You'll arrive, be directed downstairs to wash your hands, then sanitize your hands before you put your phone and headphones and sunglasses in a secure pouch, then after you've done that too.  Then you'll have to sanitize your hands once you go up the elevator to level 59 to the actual consulate itself before entering the big heavy door.

There is an IGA (local supermarket) in the building who sells 10 packs for $15, BUT whether they have them in stock when you are there who knows... Someone who was there with me had to go down and buy some.  Thankfully they had stock on the day.

Bring your mask.  They will NOT let you in without it.

This is not an opinion, or something you want to argue with any of the Consulate Officers with even if you don't believe you need one.  I do not know if they make any medical exemptions... I suspect not...but if you do have a valid medical exemption from having to wear a mask I would still take a mask with you AND I would have the paperwork with you showing your exemption.

Take your mask with you.  Wear it.  Get your visa.  Happy days.

Much love!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Can I ask a question; is it not common for people to wear masks in Australia? And are states not mandating masks? Just asking for my own knowledge :)

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

24 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Can I ask a question; is it not common for people to wear masks in Australia? And are states not mandating masks? Just asking for my own knowledge :)

Of course you can ask a question!!!!

So in Victoria (our South Eastern State) where there has been a large outbreak our local government for that state has made 'face coverings' mandatory if you are out of your home.  No matter what.... however he hasn't indicated that it need to be P2.5, N95, or any of those specialty masks... in fact he has stated even a scarf will do.... and issued a $200 fine for not wearing one.

In NSW (our most populous state and the state where the only consulate who processes our visas is located) our local government has resisted making them mandatory, however has encouraged them to be work in 4 specific situations - On public Transport, In places of worship, in shopping centers, and in places where you are working with vulnerable people (elderly).  There are some calls to make them mandatory in these situations (which I tend to agree with), however NSW has managed to dodge a bullet for now with our cases ok.  That said, there are many people taking it upon themselves to wear them anyway... I wear one when I'm out (except when I'm running/exercising outdoors), but mostly because I am not symptomatic, I don't know if I'm carrying it, and I can't get tested because I'm not showing ANY signs of anything.... but if I'm carrying it, I want to minimise the chance I'll transmit it.

I like Virginia's rules.... required whenever you are entering a building that is not your home... it just makes sense....

There are some independent and chain companies in Australia making it a requirement for service... but of course that has brought out all the conspirators who believe they are being discriminated against because their local hardware store won't let them in because they won't wear a mask.... however the continue to forget that they are entering private property.... like someone's house... who could also refuse you entry right??  So there's that!!  🤪

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am a US Citizen, and my spouse is Australian.  It has been interesting to watch two countries with similar medical acumen take two radically different approaches to the virus.  The US has pushed masks and Australia has pushed social distancing.  I wish both countries had done BOTH, and that both of our countries did not have quite as many deniers and the-government-can't-tell-me-what-to-do folks.

Thanks for the info, Entheos!  I remember that trip up the elevator with much fondness!  Pre-COVID!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Entheos said:

Of course you can ask a question!!!!

So in Victoria (our South Eastern State) where there has been a large outbreak our local government for that state has made 'face coverings' mandatory if you are out of your home.  No matter what.... however he hasn't indicated that it need to be P2.5, N95, or any of those specialty masks... in fact he has stated even a scarf will do.... and issued a $200 fine for not wearing one.

In NSW (our most populous state and the state where the only consulate who processes our visas is located) our local government has resisted making them mandatory, however has encouraged them to be work in 4 specific situations - On public Transport, In places of worship, in shopping centers, and in places where you are working with vulnerable people (elderly).  There are some calls to make them mandatory in these situations (which I tend to agree with), however NSW has managed to dodge a bullet for now with our cases ok.  That said, there are many people taking it upon themselves to wear them anyway... I wear one when I'm out (except when I'm running/exercising outdoors), but mostly because I am not symptomatic, I don't know if I'm carrying it, and I can't get tested because I'm not showing ANY signs of anything.... but if I'm carrying it, I want to minimise the chance I'll transmit it.

I like Virginia's rules.... required whenever you are entering a building that is not your home... it just makes sense....

There are some independent and chain companies in Australia making it a requirement for service... but of course that has brought out all the conspirators who believe they are being discriminated against because their local hardware store won't let them in because they won't wear a mask.... however the continue to forget that they are entering private property.... like someone's house... who could also refuse you entry right??  So there's that!!  🤪

Thanks! It’s interesting because my state masks are mandated and you need a doctor note if you can’t wear one and many southern states don’t have this mandate and some officials will not allow masks.. I was curious to see if it’s only the US that is so divided , like we are on so many levels. Thanks for explaining. I love Australia btw it was the first international country I went to when I was 19 and it got me hooked on traveling..but never been to a place I liked more than Australia. I always say if I didn’t make that trip originally and get out of my comfort zone (I alwaaayys preferred home) I would have never eventually traveled to Haiti to meet my now husband :) 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought things were pretty serious in Australia and would have been surprised masks were not required.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.