UKtoUSA2020

UK Bank Accounts

11 posts in this topic

I have yet to make the move but I will be keeping my current account open and deal with it online and via my app. I think it's good to have one open for any residual bills and financial correspondence to the UK.

It helps having a bank that is easy to access globally. Most do, to be fair.

1 hour ago, UKtoUSA2020 said:

For those of you who have already moved to the US, can I ask what you did with your UK bank accounts? We need to keep ours open for now, so not sure if we're best to just have any mail redirected to us or what.

Thanks.

Keep it, especially if you have any loans to pay or want to transfer money between friends/family. Hopefully you'll be able to update details without a lot of hassle, there are some UK banks that can be a real pain about this (and can even cause problems trying to close out the account itself). 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, UKtoUSA2020 said:

For those of you who have already moved to the US, can I ask what you did with your UK bank accounts? We need to keep ours open for now, so not sure if we're best to just have any mail redirected to us or what.

Thanks.

Mine is still open after moving 12 years ago. I access it online.
If they need to contact me by mail, it goes to Mum.

Uses:

• Ordering gifts for free delivery to relatives via amazon, eBay, etc UK accounts. Way easier/cheaper than mailing something.
  • Paying UK credit card (since closed)
  • Transferring £ to my daughter to buy a car. Paying her back for gifts she bought, wrapped, and delivered for others.
  • Lending my son deposit money during a move until he got his other deposit back.
  • Depositing an inheritance check issued in £.
  • Working sweet deals on vacation rentals directly with owners with “cash” transfers. 
  • Getting cash out of the machine when visiting. No extra fees or exchange rate ripoffs.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Kept mone

Change my address every time I moved like you would anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I know for us we are planning on closing ours when move.

I believe some banks here allow you to set up an account in the usa ahead of moving if they have an international footprint.

If we are unable to do this, easiest may be just a wire transfer and then closing the account after it goes through.

Has anyone done this with Lloyds Bank?

I'm looking to keep mine open, especially as I'll be moving before I technically finish work (through using up my annual leave) and will be getting paid into that account. The only thing is I want to change my address to the US because my family will likely be moving soon so I'd rather the letters come to me.

I've looked online and found nothing. I don't want to go into branch and ask in case it causes problems and they try to close my account.

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• September 14 2018: I-130 NOA1 (TSC)
  • March 19 2019: I-130 NOA2 (186 days)
  • April 26 2019: I-824 NOA1 (NBC) (Change from AOS to Consular - mistake on I-130 😭)
  • January 24 2020: I-824 NOA2 (273 days)
  • Feb 5 2020: Approved I-130 Sent to NVC (12 days after I-824 NOA2)

NVC Stage:

• February 12 2020: Case Received @ NVC (7 days after being sent)
  • February 16 2020: Expedite Request Sent - Financial Hardship
  • March 7 2020: Case Number Created (23 days after NVC receipt)
  • March 7 2020: IV & AOS Fees Paid (Showed as PAID after 4 days)
  • March 13 2020: IV & AOS Docs Submitted
  • March 30 2020: Expedite Request Approved - Conditional (once Embassies resume normal services - COVID19)
  • May 04 2020: Documentarily Qualified
  • July 16 2020: Expedite Request Approved - Unconditional!! 
  • July 31 2020: Medical Done
  • August 6 2020: Interview - APPROVED!
  • August 13 2020: CEAC Status - Issued! 😁

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

With Nat West you can change your address on line.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

A good alternative is Transferwise. You can set up accounts in different currencies if you provide ID and make a deposit. They give you contactless card that you can use in any country and even allow UK direct debits now. My wife and I both have accounts in £ and $. I plan to keep my Barclays account and change my address to a family members but if there's trouble with that then Transferwise has worked fine for me so far.

3 hours ago, hannahjsf said:

I'm looking to keep mine open, especially as I'll be moving before I technically finish work (through using up my annual leave) and will be getting paid into that account. The only thing is I want to change my address to the US because my family will likely be moving soon so I'd rather the letters come to me.

I've looked online and found nothing. I don't want to go into branch and ask in case it causes problems and they try to close my account.

Most banks you can change to purely paperless settings so you can access all forms of correspondence online. I don't have any personal experiences with Lloyds, sorry. 

8 hours ago, hannahjsf said:

Lloyds support told me I'd have to take all my documents to go and sort this out in-branch, and my local branch told me it wasn't allowed to have a bank account in the UK with a US address (even though I found some of their online help documents that said it was!) and the account would be terminated, so I just went online and changed it to my mum's address in the UK. They were useless and rude about it, so in the end I actually sent in a complaint and was glad to be moving the bulk of my money away from them to the US anyway.

I've considered looking at something like Transferwise's Borderless account but since I only have a bit of cash in there to cover occasional UK expenses like gift orders and a play fund for when we visit, it's just sitting there.

Edited by yoda one for me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.