amsid_usa

Filing N400 during Covid-19

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My spouse can file her N400 as soon as 8/24/20.  Given the headlines in news about funding issues due to covid-19 and other issues, should I go ahead and file the N400 anyhow. Of course, I expect it to take much longer to process due to the circumstances ? I am divided on whether to go ahead or not and will appreciate any feedback. Thanks !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
11 minutes ago, amsid_usa said:

My spouse can file her N400 as soon as 8/24/20.  Given the headlines in news about funding issues due to covid-19 and other issues, should I go ahead and file the N400 anyhow. Of course, I expect it to take much longer to process due to the circumstances ? I am divided on whether to go ahead or not and will appreciate any feedback. Thanks !

The choice is yours but if I were to file by the above date, I will not hesitate. I will file to mostly avoid  paying the new fee and I believe the earlier you file the better. I will also file online and ensure I do not file earlier before the 90 days. Goodluck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Normally I wouldn't make cost a factor in a decision to apply for citizenship but the huge rise in fees starting October 2nd would probably force me to reconsider. The bottom line for me would be if me or my spouse had an opportunity to work abroad for several years, in which case she would have to give up her green card and we would have to go through the entire process again if some years later it was our desire to move back to the US. To avoid that situation, we went ahead and filed N400 for her at the earliest possible time. Good luck with your decision.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

The real question is: does your spouse want to naturalize? If she does, it would be good if she could file before the fee goes up in October. Note: this is a petition that she will have to file herself, you don't file for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would file.  Allow a few days after the earliest possible date to be sure you do not get a false rejection.  As others have stated the fees will go up in October so getting in before then will save a significant amount of money.  As I see it as soon as you file you are in the queue and so even if it takes twice as long as normal you will still be done earlier than if you had delayed the filing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you guys ! I did not realize the fee was going up. I am already wincing at the fees as they stand currently.  And thank you for the advice on false rejection. I will wait 2-3 business days before I file and definitely prior to 10/2/20

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.