Mask

Driving in Texas

7 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Mask said:

Hi from Texas! 

I have a full UK driving license and I am wondering if you know whether I can learn to drive here using that as I currently don't have a US social security/ID?

Nothing wrong or illegal with taking driving lessons. It's only when you try to get the actual license that you need to show proof of residency and status here in the US. 

Edited by mushroomspore

46 minutes ago, Mask said:

Hi from Texas! 

I have a full UK driving license and I am wondering if you know whether I can learn to drive here using that as I currently don't have a US social security/ID?

every state is different and the local laws apply. find out from DMV. no one will stop you if you want to learn to drive

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mask said:

Hi from Texas! 

Your UK license is of no real use in the process of getting a TX license. However, I did drive on my UK  license prior to getting my TX license. You have 90 days to drive on it after moving to TX. Practice that way.

In Texas you will need a SSN to start your driver license process. There seems to be an exception as noted here https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ssn.htm I would say good luck on getting through that hurdle, but perhaps printing that page will help a worker not familiar. 

You first take a written test (on computer) at a DPS office, so study the yellow handbook.

Passing gets you a learners permit that allows you to drive with a licensed driver in the front seat..so you can practice driving. You would have to have a learners permit before you could drive a car at a driving school.

When you are confident that you drive well enough, you schedule a driving test at a DPS office. Many offer online appointment scheduling now. A highway patrol officer does the test. It’s not nearly as hard as a U.K. driving test.
Pass that and you get a TX license.

Here’s an interactive thing to help you know what documents you need https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/RealID

Edited by Wuozopo

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Your UK license is of no real use in the process of getting a TX license. However, I did drive on my UK  license prior to getting my TX license. You have 90 days to drive on it after moving to TX. Practice that way.

In Texas you will need a SSN to start your driver license process. There seems to be an exception as noted here https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ssn.htm I would say good luck on getting through that hurdle, but perhaps printing that page will help a worker not familiar. 

You first take a written test (on computer) at a DPS office, so study the yellow handbook.

Passing gets you a learners permit that allows you to drive with a licensed driver in the front seat..so you can practice driving. You would have to have a learners permit before you could drive a car at a driving school.

When you are confident that you drive well enough, you schedule a driving test at a DPS office. Many offer online appointment scheduling now. A highway patrol officer does the test. It’s not nearly as hard as a U.K. driving test.
Pass that and you get a TX license.

Here’s an interactive thing to help you know what documents you need https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/RealID

Thanks so much as always, so do you reckon I can drive/practice on my UK license for now up till 90 days? 

I just got here last week and still need to apply for a SSN.. 

Thank you for all the information!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, James120383 said:

every state is different and the local laws apply. find out from DMV. no one will stop you if you want to learn to drive

Thank you 

2 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

Nothing wrong or illegal with taking driving lessons. It's only when you try to get the actual license that you need to show proof of residency and status here in the US. 

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Mask said:

Thanks so much as always, so do you reckon I can drive/practice on my UK license for now up till 90 days? 

Thank you 

Thanks!

you can read this and if it applies to you https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/reciprocity.htm

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mask said:

I have lived in Texas just shy of 12 years so this comes from experience and local knowledge.
Like I said before, when you move to Texas you have 90 days to get a TX license. So you could just drive on your own legally with a U.K. license. If you haven’t done that before, then you may want your spouse with you helping you learn and getting used to driving on the left hand side of the car. For me, my brain just flipped and it was an easy transition. I had driven in the US when visiting for years so felt very accomplished when I moved here. 

Should you get stopped, you pull out the UK license and proof of insurance*. (More on that later). They write you up on your UK license. The conversation may go something like this:

Cop: (Looking at U.K. license) Are you visiting?
You: I moved here at the end of July.

Cop: Well you know you only have 90 days to get a license?

You: Yes sir, I am waiting on my Social Security card, but the offices are [closed] [backlogged] [slow] Pick one. I hope to have it soon.

Cop: Ok, I am issuing you a ticket for speeding. Have a nice day. Don’t forget to get your TX license.

You go pay the ticket and keep the receipt for when you have your citizenship interview. Not an issue but good to have the record of paying.

That is basically an account of what happened to me, except the additional charge of “failure to have a valid license” was originally added because I was past the 30 days one was allowed back then.( It changed to 90 days to get your license.) My wife talked him into scratching out that charge because I was a K1 and couldn’t get a license until I received EAD so impossible within the time frame. I continued to drive until I got EAD

*Proof of insurance. It is different in Texas than what you are used to. The car is insured, not the driver. Your name is not required on the auto insurance policy for the car to be covered. If your spouse has insurance on the vehicle and gives you permission to drive, then the car is covered if you have a wreck. (Yes experienced with that too.) My wife’s daughter let her boyfriend drive her car. Wreck. No problem having insurance fix it. So if stopped by a cop, just show that the car has auto insurance. It does not require your name on the policy. Once you get a license and are a regular driver, then get added to the policy. That is what our State Farm agent advised....add name when you get your license. It won’t be long before you get a TX license.

So you have several options—

1. Drive/practice 90 days on UK license
  2. Get a learners permit with one of those SSN waivers and practice until ready for driving test. I took my learners permit test and driving test back to back same day because I didn’t need practice first. 
  3. Wait on SSN before getting a learners permit and license. You will need to show the actual card. (That’s about the only place I have ever had to show the card.)

And just curious, what town are you in? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.