shallot343

UK Health Summary via NHS App?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all-- happy Friday!

My partner contacted his GP for his health summary and Mental Health letter (history of Depression). They said he would have to pay a fee for the Mental Health letter (not an issue) but also told him to sign up to the NHS app for his medical summary. 

image.png.764a21aa03b9de06fd81e7fb8b46144e.png

Has anyone recently gotten their Medical Summary for the Visa Medical this way, or is there another format direct from the GP that he will need? Just trying to get our ducks in a row (we don't have an interview appointment yet so this isn't hyper urgent!)

thank you!

I don't know about the NHS app but my GP is the Babylon App and I got my medical summary by emailing them - it was a PDF form that I can print out. Came through after a few weeks but you can make an urgent request and it can come instantaneously I think... 

One of the medical secretaries at my surgery just printed out an a4 sheet with my medical summary on. I had to speak to the GP and pay £30 for them to write a 2 paragraph letter regarding my previous anxiety and depression. Not heard of being able to print off the summary by yourself, but it sounds like a great idea and time saving! 

3 minutes ago, S&J2013 said:

One of the medical secretaries at my surgery just printed out an a4 sheet with my medical summary on. I had to speak to the GP and pay £30 for them to write a 2 paragraph letter regarding my previous anxiety and depression. Not heard of being able to print off the summary by yourself, but it sounds like a great idea and time saving! 

It is definitely easier! I told him to get the summary now and also go get the vaccines he is missing (I think he is only short one?) as it may be cheaper than at the medical. I just wanted to make sure the online version will count as the "official summary" but I guess a medical summary is a medical summary at the end of the day. The extra fee for the mental health letter seems bit silly if it is going to take all of 10 minutes, but we don't mind paying for it.

Asking people here but did your health summary get called a "patient summary" to you and have your inactive and your active conditions on it?

It doesnt mention literally any hospital visits, me breaking my wrist, spraining my arm, etc etc, it just says stuff like when I had chickenpox twice, my flu when I was about 9 and I went to see someone for mental health in 2018 (mentions nothing of me seeing the doctor for mental health when I was 15, though I wasnt prescribed any antidepressants and I was underage maybe he just left it out?)

Just wondering cause I am very confused if I got the right one, I know the vaccines are right but i don't know about mine, if it is right happy days I don't have to get anything written by my GP then. I want to mention I am from a service family as my father did 20 years Royal Engineers, so I moved around a lot as a child and I went from living with my mum and my dad so I switched from names pretty periodically. 

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

12 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Asking people here but did your health summary get called a "patient summary" to you and have your inactive and your active conditions on it?

It doesnt mention literally any hospital visits, me breaking my wrist, spraining my arm, etc etc, it just says stuff like when I had chickenpox twice, my flu when I was about 9 and I went to see someone for mental health in 2018 (mentions nothing of me seeing the doctor for mental health when I was 15, though I wasnt prescribed any antidepressants and I was underage maybe he just left it out?)

Just wondering cause I am very confused if I got the right one, I know the vaccines are right but i don't know about mine, if it is right happy days I don't have to get anything written by my GP then. I want to mention I am from a service family as my father did 20 years Royal Engineers, so I moved around a lot as a child and I went from living with my mum and my dad so I switched from names pretty periodically. 

Yes, the patient summary you have is the correct document. You will need a very brief letter from the GP explaining the nature of the mental health issue in 2018 (just a description of what the issue was, whether you were at risk of self-harm, any treatment(s) received.

2 hours ago, os306 said:

Yes, the patient summary you have is the correct document. You will need a very brief letter from the GP explaining the nature of the mental health issue in 2018 (just a description of what the issue was, whether you were at risk of self-harm, any treatment(s) received.

But... do I really? It shows as one visit and theres no evidence of anxiety, depression or any other situation being shown. I don't see why they'd take it as seriously as something showing real mental health on a patient summary. 

I just don't want to spend the £20 as I didn't even see my GP for this, I saw occupational health at work.

16 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

But... do I really? It shows as one visit and theres no evidence of anxiety, depression or any other situation being shown. I don't see why they'd take it as seriously as something showing real mental health on a patient summary. 

I just don't want to spend the £20 as I didn't even see my GP for this, I saw occupational health at work.

Well, does your summary say something vague and non-specific like "mental health issue"? If so, then you probably need some sort of explanation as to what the nature of that visit was (even if was just a one-off visit and for a very minor issue). Although your visit was with occupational health at work, you can always schedule a telephone call with your GP to confirm that it was just a one-off visit, and that you need a brief statement stating this and that in no way are you at risk of harm to herself or others.

This may seem completely trivial (and you may not be asked for any additional documentation at your appointment) but, personally, I'd rather pay the £20 and be over-prepared than face another delay it what is turning into a prolonged and drawn-out process. Your call.

Edited by os306

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
42 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

You can attend your visa medical and let the doctor decided if that summary gives him enough detail to clear you on mental health. If he feels he needs more medical explanation and an opinion whether you are or ever will be a risk to yourself or others, then he will give written information for you to present to you GP. Once your GP answers in writing, all the topics asked for, your medical results will be completed and sent to the embassy. Your delay will depend on how quickly the GP will respond if he gets such a request and if he answers it fully. 

4 hours ago, os306 said:

Well, does your summary say something vague and non-specific like "mental health issue"? If so, then you probably need some sort of explanation as to what the nature of that visit was (even if was just a one-off visit and for a very minor issue). Although your visit was with occupational health at work, you can always schedule a telephone call with your GP to confirm that it was just a one-off visit, and that you need a brief statement stating this and that in no way are you at risk of harm to herself or others.

This may seem completely trivial (and you may not be asked for any additional documentation at your appointment) but, personally, I'd rather pay the £20 and be over-prepared than face another delay it what is turning into a prolonged and drawn-out process. Your call.

It says that I had a mental health consult that's all. The real explanation is that I was having issues at the time with sleeping and was wondering if it was possibly due to a family member's passing. I used to work nights at the NHS as a Porter so I had to see occupational health if I had any concerns like this, I didn't know it got logged. It's either that or it's falsely on my record.

I fear if I pay the £20 it'll make it seem like it's a much bigger issue, I read for some people if its a passing mention they'll be fine with it. I will check in my GP to be safe anyway, thank you.

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

24 minutes ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

It says that I had a mental health consult that's all. The real explanation is that I was having issues at the time with sleeping and was wondering if it was possibly due to a family member's passing. I used to work nights at the NHS as a Porter so I had to see occupational health if I had any concerns like this, I didn't know it got logged. It's either that or it's falsely on my record.

I fear if I pay the £20 it'll make it seem like it's a much bigger issue, I read for some people if its a passing mention they'll be fine with it. I will check in my GP to be safe anyway, thank you.

I’m sorry to hear you were going through that at the time, but you were right to go see someone, even if it wasn’t a big issue.

Obviously I can’t speak on behalf of the physicians at visamedicals, but I’m a doctor myself and if I saw “mental health consult” written on a summary, I would want a brief written explanation from a GP/healthcare provider to confirm that the issue was a minor one, and that you weren’t at risk of harm to yourself or others (which you clearly weren’t). However, the examining doctor at visamedicals may be satisfied with your verbal explanation. Good luck!

Edited by os306

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.