90DayFinancier

Georgia congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis dies at age 80

8 posts in this topic

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
  • Rep. John Lewis of Georgia died late Friday at the age of 80, according to multiple reports.
  • Lewis was a decorated US civil rights icon. He was the last surviving speaker of the March on Washington and one of the original Freedom Riders.
  • He rose to national prominence after leading more than 600 peaceful demonstrators across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Alabama on "Bloody Sunday."
  • Lewis served in the House of Representatives since 1987 and was one of the most progressive lawmakers to represent a southern district. Throughout his tenure, he developed a reputation for stirring up what he referred to as "good trouble."
  • Following his death, activists, lawmakers, and other prominent figures paid tribute to Lewis, describing him as "a giant" and the "conscience of the nation."

https://www.businessinsider.com/rep-john-lewis-has-died-2020-7?amp

Filed: Timeline

In his CBS interview, he (Lewis) discussed the growing unrest across the country following the death of George Floyd. "The way this young man died, watching the video, it made me so sad. It was so painful. It made me cry. I kept saying to myself, how many more? How many more young black men will be murdered? The madness must stop," he said.

I know nothing about the man other than what I have read the past 24 hours.  But he sounds no different than any other democrat to me.

The data on offenders also tells a troubling story: Young, Black males are overwhelmingly committing most of the murders. Based on the data on the victims, that means young, Black males are primarily killing other young, Black males. What a terrible situation. 

In 2011, the latest data officially released by the Chicago Police, there were 433 homicides. Of these, just 128 (29%) had a corresponding prosecution.

chicago_victims_by_race.jpg

The article is from 2016, with data from 2011.  Why is no one rioting or looting over THESE stats?

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/chicago-75-murdered-are-black-71-murderers-are-black/

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know nothing about the man other than what I have read the past 24 hours.  But he sounds no different than any other democrat to me.

A compliment to Democrats

59 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The article is from 2016, with data from 2011.  Why is no one rioting or looting over THESE stats?

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/chicago-75-murdered-are-black-71-murderers-are-black/

I am not sure why you feel compelled to derail this particular thread

John Lewis is a towering figure in the civil rights movement as a Freedom Rider. It's also bizarre to talk about rioting and looting in the same breath as Lewis, who was a proponent of nonviolent protest. What he endured on the Edmund Pettus Bridge to fight for the rights of all Americans was true sacrifice. I do not know how anyone could look at his biography and say he's "no different."

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Be careful with stats. 

I guess I'm trying to figure out why we should be talking about something unrelated to the passing of a great man in a thread to mark his passing. The only thing in common is that Lewis was black, and the quotes are about black men killing other black men. 

la-mcgarvey-1484441817-snap-photo

That's John Lewis, age 25, in the foreground, being beaten by a state trooper in Selma, Alabama on Bloody Sunday. He was standing up for American citizens' right to vote and for that his skull was fractured by a law enforcement office. I know we are not meant to have heroes, but this man's bravery was one part of the country's struggle for us all to be free.