BC97

Meeting up in a 3rd country

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

I read on the gov.uk website that you are not supposed to leave your house or flat, even to get groceries, unless you can prove that you can't get groceries or medication delivered for some reason.

Yeah I read this too. Called someone on the self-isolation helpline who said that if my fiancée visits, she should not leave the house/garden. 

She’s allowed to live in the house with my family but is to socially distance wherever possible. 

This does not affect others in the household, we may go about our days as normal.

Obviously there’s a difference between what is allowed, and what you can get away with. Have to use a bit of common sense though, as if we don’t have to socially distance in Barbados or Turkey, but do in the UK it shouldn’t make a difference around the home unless anybody else comes into your house.

Common sense approach here I reckon, but self isolation doesn’t mean socially distancing. It says that everywhere in the government website.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

I read on the gov.uk website that you are not supposed to leave your house or flat, even to get groceries, unless you can prove that you can't get groceries or medication delivered for some reason.

Yup you are right.  I just checked the gov.uk website: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Although it is strange that they say the person you are staying with doesn't need to self-isolate.  So I guess I'll be going to the drive-in on my own 🙁

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jessica & Karl said:

Yup you are right.  I just checked the gov.uk website: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Although it is strange that they say the person you are staying with doesn't need to self-isolate.  So I guess I'll be going to the drive-in on my own 🙁

It’s up to you. I feel if you stay in your car you aren’t endangering anyone else.

Just be conscious, I’m not sure how they check that she’s self isolating but if they checked and found it’s going to be a £1,000 or £3,200 fine, depending on the situation 😬

Timeline
24 minutes ago, BC97 said:

Just be conscious, I’m not sure how they check that she’s self isolating but if they checked and found it’s going to be a £1,000 or £3,200 fine, depending on the situation 😬

Definitely.  She's not left the house at all, neither have I, I had assumed I would need to self-isolate too. Anyway we don't want a fine, or worse a black mark on her immigration record, and problems if she wants to visit again.  We'll stay put till next week, have that picnic in the garden instead.  She's here for 3 weeks, so we can at least get out and about a little after the 14 days. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jessica & Karl said:

Definitely.  She's not left the house at all, neither have I, I had assumed I would need to self-isolate too. Anyway we don't want a fine, or worse a black mark on her immigration record, and problems if she wants to visit again.  We'll stay put till next week, have that picnic in the garden instead.  She's here for 3 weeks, so we can at least get out and about a little after the 14 days. 

Out of curiosity, how did she find the flight/airport experience? Was the flight itself busy? And was it expensive/what was the route like? That’s the only thing my fiancée is anxious about really

Edited by BC97

Timeline
16 hours ago, BC97 said:

Out of curiosity, how did she find the flight/airport experience? Was the flight itself busy? And was it expensive/what was the route like? That’s the only thing my fiancée is anxious about really

She was due to fly from Charlotte direct to London. The flight was changed to go via Chicago as most international flights now are going through the "hub" airports https://www.dhs.gov/coronavirus/protecting-air-travelers-and-american-public.  It looks like both Fort Lauderdale and Miami are both in the list, so you should be able to get a direct flight from Florida.

Charlotte airport was a little quieter than normal, but not much. The flight from Charlotte to Chicago was pretty normal for a domestic flight in the US at the moment, relatively busy and everyone wearing masks. 

Chicago airport was very quiet, and the flight from Chicago to London wasn't at all full, she had an entire row to herself. Food and drink service was normal. Only difference was having to wear a mask for the duration of the flight, apart from eating and drinking.  Top tip, get a comfortable fabric one!  

Arriving at London was easier than normal, she was out of Terminal 5 in about 25 mins as the passport queue was so short.  They only asked for her quarantine form, checked a few details and she was good to go.  Here is the link for the form and details, you can only fill it out 48 hours before travel. https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Expense, it wasn't any more expensive than usual.  Jessica paid with air-miles but the cash equivalent was normal for a US to UK flight.  

I hope that helps!

Timeline
On 7/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, remotercharm said:

We met here in Mexico a few days ago and everything went smooth.  Enjoying the riviera maya now.

Awesome. How is it there?  We’re debating either Mexico, Barbados, or Dominican Republic. The prices aren’t actually that bad for an all-inclusive for two weeks. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
18 hours ago, Jessica & Karl said:

Awesome. How is it there?  We’re debating either Mexico, Barbados, or Dominican Republic. The prices aren’t actually that bad for an all-inclusive for two weeks. 

It’s been really nice. Public beaches are closed but other beaches are open. Restaurants and bars are open. We’re going to Cozumel for the weekend. A man was gunned down and murdered a block away from our flat at the corner store I go to everyday and I saw the pool of blood in the parking lot.  We’re staying a month and then to the US. 

Edited by remotercharm

Timeline
14 hours ago, remotercharm said:

It’s been really nice. A man was gunned down and murdered a block away from our flat at the corner store I go to everyday and I saw the pool of blood in the parking lot.

Uhhhhh

Timeline
On 7/28/2020 at 4:03 AM, remotercharm said:

A man was gunned down and murdered a block away from our flat at the corner store I go to everyday and I saw the pool of blood in the parking lot.

OH WOW!  I hope you guys stay safe out there!!! 

We just booked our flights and hotel for September... 😱

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jessica & Karl said:

OH WOW!  I hope you guys stay safe out there!!! 

We just booked our flights and hotel for September... 😱

You'll be fine, especially if you're doing an all inclusive.  We are staying in a more local area because we want to be able to walk to supermarkets which don't exist in the touristy areas.  But you can always get that delivered.  I love staying a little closer to local areas as I can speak some Spanish and find it more interesting even if closer to the odd gang violence incidents.  One bummer is the sargassum is at the beaches here, but once you get passed that, the water is warm and lovely.  The Cancun/Playa violence has been rising over the past few years, unfortunately, but it would be still be extremely rare to be a victim of it.

Edited by remotercharm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
42 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

We are staying in a more local area because we want to be able to walk to supermarkets which don't exist in the touristy areas

I hope you don’t get Montezuma’s Revenge. 

Timeline

@remotercharm I was just wondering if you managed to get travel insurance for Mexico and your following visit to the US.  All the insurance companies I've used before or even new ones I've checked are not offering any cover to countries that the FCO "advises against all but essential international travel" (both Mexico and the US).  I hope your trip is going well and no more murder or montezuma issues :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.