Leyla100

Upgrading visa [merged threads]

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Leyla100 said:

Hi guys I need your help

my mother filled the visa when she green card holder I got approved and did my interview all happen while I was under 21 but now  she got her citizenship and iam over 21 can she still upgrade my visa ??

You have already interviewed.   Nothing will change 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Leyla100 said:

Thanks so it means I can upgrade it right ??

An upgrade typically means one thing, quicker to interview,  you are already past that

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your CSPA age froze in the F2a category according to the CSPA rule for the family preference category. 

You can not upgrade to the IR-2 category and use the CSPA rule for the F2a category.  If you want to move category, then you need to use the CSPA rule for that category. 

You would use the CSPA rule for IR-2 which means where the beneficiary CSPA age freezes when the petitioner becomes a USC, so your CSPA age would be over 21.  If you want that, then you would move to the F1 category.

Sit still and be patience.  You can't avoid the EO ban for the F2a category.  The F2a category is your fastest path to the US even with the EO ban.  

Edited by aaron2020

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Leyla100 said:

Hey guys I applied iv for my child who was 16 while I was a green card holder but luckily now IAM a us citizen and he is over 21

The initial application should have taken about 2 years. What has happened to that?

Unfortunately when you become a citizen and the child is over 21,  the age resets to what it is when you naturalize so he would fall under F1 now which takes about 7 years, it is not at all faster. (If he was under 21 it would be faster.) But the bigger question is why the initial petition was not finalized 3 or more years ago.

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

What has happened to that?

Unfortunately when you become a citizen and the child is over 21,  the age resets to what it is when you naturalize so he would fall under F1 now which takes about 7 years, it is not at all faster. (If he was under 21 it would be faster.)

Depends on if the petitioner resides (and naturalized) or not in either the Second Circuit or Ninth Circuit: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050201.html "However, for a second preference petition filed for a child of a lawful permanent resident (F2A visa classification) where the petitioner naturalizes after filing the petition and resides in a state or territory within the jurisdiction of the Second Circuit or Ninth Circuit -- Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, Guam, or the Northern Mariana Islands -- at the time of naturalization, calculate the CSPA age by using the date of the petitioner's naturalization as the date a visa became available.  Therefore, the CSPA age is calculated by subtracting the number of days that the petition was pending with USCIS (from date of receipt to date of approval, including any period of administrative review) from the biological age of the applicant on the date that the petitioner naturalized.  You must also use the date of the petitioner's naturalization in determining whether the applicant "sought to acquire" lawful permanent resident status within one year of the date of visa availability (i.e., the date of naturalization).  See 9 FAM 502.1-1(D)(5)(3) below for additional guidance on petition conversion."

Edited by HRQX

Still need to find out what has happened to the initial petition. Regardless of country of origin, F2A has been current for over 3 years, since July 2019. The child should have got a green card well before Covid hit. If they’ve let that petition lapse they’ll have to file a new one.

Sigh. Looks like we only got half a story here. Apparently OP has already interviewed and apparently approved yet somehow hasn’t got a visa yet. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:47 AM, Leyla100 said:

Hi guys I need your help

my mother filled the visa when she green card holder I got approved and did my interview all happen while I was under 21 but now  she got her citizenship and iam over 21 can she still upgrade my visa ??

OP, it makes it very difficult to answer sensibly when you don’t give the full story.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Background thread and new thread have been merged for context.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

20 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sigh. Looks like we only got half a story here. Apparently OP has already interviewed and apparently approved yet somehow hasn’t got a visa yet.

Here is more info (from a recent PM from OP) for context:

1 hour ago, Leyla100 said:

hope you are doing well .can you please answer me this question a father filled for his daughter while he was a green card holder and the daughter was 16 at that time now she is over 21 and he is a us citizen and she did everything including the interview and she is under ap . Will hé becoming citizen help her or affect her . Appreciate

21 hours ago, HRQX said:

Depends on if the petitioner resides (and naturalized) or not in either the Second Circuit or Ninth Circuit

Also the Petitioner lives in Minnesota which isn't in the above 2 Circuits.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.