frodolives

Using Household Member's Income?

38 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I am a bit new to all of this and I need some clarification lol. I have limited work experience, and a limited income. I will likely be able to meet the 125% of the poverty level requirement, but just barely. I've been looking for better employment, but COVID has only further complicated matters....as I am sure it has for many people this year. But this is concerning to me. I read about the I-864A, which I believe is the form that allows you to add your household member's income, if they permit you to do so. I live with my parents, and my father gets both SSR and a pension, and has offered to help me out when the time comes to work on the affidavit of support. My question is, can we use this type of income? Does Social Security Retirement along with his pension qualify in the same way employment would? Thanks in advance! :) 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 minutes ago, frodolives said:

Hi Everyone, I am a bit new to all of this and I need some clarification lol. I have limited work experience, and a limited income. I will likely be able to meet the 125% of the poverty level requirement, but just barely. I've been looking for better employment, but COVID has only further complicated matters....as I am sure it has for many people this year. But this is concerning to me. I read about the I-864A, which I believe is the form that allows you to add your household member's income, if they permit you to do so. I live with my parents, and my father gets both SSR and a pension, and has offered to help me out when the time comes to work on the affidavit of support. My question is, can we use this type of income? Does Social Security Retirement along with his pension qualify in the same way employment would? Thanks in advance! :) 

Yes, but Dad would be a joint sponsor, qualifying on his own income.  He does not need to combine income with you as a household member.  Best to be joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, but Dad would be a joint sponsor, qualifying on his own income.  He does not need to combine income with you as a household member.  Best to be joint sponsor.

Thank you for your responses on both of my posts! Why would he be unable to combine income with mine? Is joint sponsor just a better option?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, frodolives said:

Thank you for your responses on both of my posts! Why would he be unable to combine income with mine? Is joint sponsor just a better option?

Yes, joint sponsor is the correct option.  Study those instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, joint sponsor is the correct option.  Study those instructions.

Just found them and I am reading them through! So if I am understanding correctly, as long as I am 125% of the current poverty guidelines, I won't need to include his income....using a household member's income is only necessary if you don't meet those requirements? Thank you again for your responses! I will definitely be studying these instructions :)

1 minute ago, frodolives said:

Just found them and I am reading them through! So if I am understanding correctly, as long as I am 125% of the current poverty guidelines, I won't need to include his income....using a household member's income is only necessary if you don't meet those requirements? Thank you again for your responses! I will definitely be studying these instructions :)

It is not as cut and dried as that.  The 125% is merely a guideline.  Consular and USCIS officers evaluate applications based on the totality of financial circumstances, not simply income alone.

For many people, being borderline means getting a joint sponsor.

17 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It is not as cut and dried as that.  The 125% is merely a guideline.  Consular and USCIS officers evaluate applications based on the totality of financial circumstances, not simply income alone.

For many people, being borderline means getting a joint sponsor.

What else might they look at other than income? What can I do to strengthen my own case to qualify based on my own merits?

4 minutes ago, frodolives said:

What else might they look at other than income? What can I do to strengthen my own case to qualify based on my own merits?

Anything and everything that could pertain to the immigrant's risk of becoming a public charge.

What are you plans for providing health insurance for your spouse?

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Anything and everything that could pertain to the immigrant's risk of becoming a public charge.

What are you plans for providing health insurance for your spouse?

Well, I rent an apartment from my family (we have a two family home), and I do have a bit of a savings that I'm building on. I plan on buying a car in the not so distant future (hopefully by the end of the year), and as far as health insurance, I am still trying to work that out. We haven't married yet, but we plan to and I am trying to gather all the information I can so that I am well informed when the time comes. 

10 minutes ago, frodolives said:

Well, I rent an apartment from my family (we have a two family home), and I do have a bit of a savings that I'm building on. I plan on buying a car in the not so distant future (hopefully by the end of the year), and as far as health insurance, I am still trying to work that out. We haven't married yet, but we plan to and I am trying to gather all the information I can so that I am well informed when the time comes. 

A car is not necessary, but you will need to show evidence of the ability or plan to provide health insurance.

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

A car is not necessary, but you will need to show evidence of the ability or plan to provide health insurance.

That is definitely doable for me. I won't need assistance for that. Does it matter than I rent an apartment? Or are the two most critical pieces here just income and ability to provide health insurance?

5 minutes ago, frodolives said:

That is definitely doable for me. I won't need assistance for that. Does it matter than I rent an apartment? Or are the two most critical pieces here just income and ability to provide health insurance?

Like I said, it is based on totality of circumstances.  We do see people with incomes above the 125% who get RFEs for joint sponsors.  The income guidelines are just that - guidelines.

You should also look at the I-944.  I am not sure how the content of that form is used in adjudicating visa applications, but it is also very new.

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Like I said, it is based on totality of circumstances.  We do see people with incomes above the 125% who get RFEs for joint sponsors.  The income guidelines are just that - guidelines.

You should also look at the I-944.  I am not sure how the content of that form is used in adjudicating visa applications, but it is also very new.

Okay, thank you for your help! I will continue doing research.

39 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You should also look at the I-944.  I am not sure how the content of that form is used in adjudicating visa applications,

I-944 is for Adjustment of Status (I-485). OP should instead look at the Public Charge Questionnaire (DS-5540) https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF

DS-5540 is filled out by the visa applicant.

Edited by HRQX

10 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I-944 is for Adjustment of Status (I-485). OP should instead look at the Public Charge Questionnaire (DS-5540) https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF

DS-5540 is filled out by the visa applicant.

Who fills out this form? Myself or my future spouse? Also, I am still rather unclear about under which circumstances I would be permitted to add my father's income to my income?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.