IsItLekker

South Africa CR1/IR1 Visa Filers

222 posts in this topic

I didn't see a group for this so I thought I would start one. Since we are included on the ban exclusion list atm, the only thing holding up the line for IR1/CR1 visas is on the South African side. It appears that Cape Town consulate (non-immigrant only) has reopened, and Durban's consulate (non-immigrant only) will be reopening in August. We have contacted Johannesburg's consulate and they are still closed for all consular services, however they told us they will be looking at the cases which are exceptions under the ban in the next few weeks. We also reached out to the doctor who provides the medical checks for the consulate in Johannesburg and they have a list of people they have promised to contact as soon as they receive word from the US Consulate about opening/resuming immigration interviews.

According to the understanding of the recent court ruling, the lockdown is basically legally over. However, as we know, the government could decide to come up with a new lockdown requirement at any time. If you guys hear any news about the level of lockdown for Gauteng, Johannesburg specifically, please post the info here. The other big hurdle will be finding ways out of SA with the severe travel restrictions in place. Quite a few people have bought tickets on different airlines just to have them cancelled, so if anyone knows anything about the status of OR Tambo, it would also be greatly appreciated. There have not been any notifications of repatriation flights for US Citizens for awhile, so we may have to wait until commercial flights become available once more.

Just know you are not alone and we are all in this together! 

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Potomac Service Center

Consulate: South Africa

Hello...Shenzhen, China 💕2018-01-20

Will you...Shenzhen, China 💍 2019-01-13

I Do...Hong Kong ❤️ 2019-06-20

USCIS

I-130 Sent: 2019-08-21

I-130 NOA1: 2019-08-26

I-130 NOA2: 2020-04-17

NVC
Received: 2020-04-20

DQ: 2020-06-18

Expedite approved: 2020-08-21

US Consulate - Johannesburg

Medical: 2020-09-03

Interview Scheduled: 2020-09-03

Interview at US Consulate in Johannesburg: 9:15 2020-09-16 - Approved!

Visa Delivered: 2020-09-25

Arrival in the U.S. (POE New York JFK): 2020-10-04
2 year Green Card Received: 2020-12-18

Removal of Conditions

Service Center: National Benefits Center

Date Mailed: 2022-07-20 via FedEx to Phoenix Lockbox

Receipt Date: 2022-07-27

NOA Received: 2022-08-01

Biometrics letter received: 2022-08-13

Biometrics appointment date: 2022-08-23

Removal of Conditions approved date: 2023-10-26

Citizenship

Service Center: Online

Local Office: Denver

Date of Submission: 2023-07-15

Biometrics Waived

Interview scheduled: 2023-09-18
Interview at Centennial Field Office: 8:35 2023-10-26 
Approved!
Oath Ceremony: 11:00 2023-11-07

Great idea to create this thread!

We contacted a New York Congressman a few weeks ago to help us look into getting our I-130 approved. Shortly after that we received the approval. We then submitted all our documents to the NVC and received word that our application has been expedited due to the Congressman's efforts. Our case was sent to the US Consulate in Johannesburg and we are also now waiting to schedule our interview. 

I emailed them yesterday and received a response this morning basically saying that there is a suspension in place and that no interviews are being scheduled at the moment. By the way the email was phrased, it seemed like they considered our case as part of the suspension until the end of the year, which we know is not the case. 

We have an immigration lawyer on hand as well if we need to put some pressure on them. Please keep us updated if you have any new information on the situation or if there is anything we can do to help with this issue. Is there anything we can do in the meantime? Should we contact the doctor in Cape Town to be added to the list of people to contact? 

Let's keep in contact and try our best to help each other in this frustrating situation!

Wow! Well you guys are 1 step ahead of us at the moment. We are DQ'ed, but our case is still at the NVC waiting to be scheduled.

When we initially contacted them, they also sent us an email implying all consular services were suspended, however, my husband pushed back on them AND our lawyer pushed back on them and got them to admit we were excluded from the suspension and they would start reviewing the excluded cases in the next few weeks. If you are concerned they are blowing you off, just remind them the presidential proclamation does not include IR1/CR1 visa seekers and ask them to acknowledge that it is true. The more of us that put the pressure on, the more likely we will received something positive.

If we haven't heard back by the end of July, I intend to get our congressman involved. My husband's cousin already has an appointment scheduled for his non-immigrant visa interview in Durban in August and a brother of one my husband's friends just went to the Johannesburg consulate for his interview for an agricultural visa this week and he received it. They clearly have no issue with being face to face with people, so using the lockdown as an excuse is garbage.

As for the medical, there is definitely no harm in reaching out to the clinic in Cape Town. Just ask them is they have heard anything about the Johannesburg consulate opening up for immigrant interviews. They may or may not have their own list of people to contact when they hear interviews have resumed. There is never any harm in seeking out more information.

What we really need is access to a larger South African emigrant community. Other kinds of visas will give us a better idea of what we are working with. I read an article that said an average of 9 south africans move to the US every day, 40% are family based visas, so there is a large pool of people who are waiting just like us. I just wish we could get in contact with each other 😂

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

USCIS

NVC

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

Biometrics Waived

Approved!

So grateful for this thread I hadn't seen anything for SA coming up on the other threads so many thanks for starting this. 

With respect to leaving SA once you have a CR1/IR1 visa you are allowed on the repatriation flights. You just need to do the Home Affairs mission of acquiring consent to leave. This is no issue as family reunion is allowed as per Home Affairs ruling that was passed last month. I have seen the alerts for repatriation flights and the last ones have stated that SA citizens with valid visas and Home Affairs approval are allowed. So there is no reason to not allow CR1/IR1 interviews. Let's hope for good news soon (Fingers crossed)

Just an FYI for you guys regarding repatriation flights. Latest post on US Consulates site for SA. Flights that transit through EU won't be ideal for us it seems. Although from what I understand as a spouse of  USC we are allowed regardless to enter the US from these areas and exempt from travel bans. But perhaps best not to transit through just in case? 

https://za.usembassy.gov/health-alert-announcing-upcoming-repatriation-flights-u-s-embassy-pretoria-south-africa/ 

On 6/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, IsItLekker said:

a brother of one my husband's friends just went to the Johannesburg consulate for his interview for an agricultural visa this week and he received it.

Out of interest did he do a medical for his visa? I'm not sure which visas need a medical.  If he did that means medicals are happening and that there isn't really a delay there? 

It's a non-immigrant visa, so I don't think it does. When we applied for a tourist visa back in 2018, no medical was required.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

USCIS

NVC

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

Biometrics Waived

Approved!

10 hours ago, TamDill said:

Just an FYI for you guys regarding repatriation flights. Latest post on US Consulates site for SA. Flights that transit through EU won't be ideal for us it seems. Although from what I understand as a spouse of  USC we are allowed regardless to enter the US from these areas and exempt from travel bans. But perhaps best not to transit through just in case? 

https://za.usembassy.gov/health-alert-announcing-upcoming-repatriation-flights-u-s-embassy-pretoria-south-africa/ 

Hi am from Mauritius and am following your thread. I got my visa in March from johannesburg IR1 visa. Am Stil waiting to travel. My visa will expire on August. Plz let me if ever the border open in SA as we have 2 flight from Mru to Paris and London but there's a travel restrictions on EU. So best way would be via Dubai. Best of luck everyone 

17 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

Hi am from Mauritius and am following your thread. I got my visa in March from johannesburg IR1 visa. Am Stil waiting to travel. My visa will expire on August. Plz let me if ever the border open in SA as we have 2 flight from Mru to Paris and London but there's a travel restrictions on EU. So best way would be via Dubai. Best of luck everyone 

If you received your visa in March is it not valid until September. From what I understand you have 6 months to enter the US?  If that's the case you may be okay - I've seen your other post about your situation with your visa expiring and not be able to extend - sorry to hear what's happening ☹️. If we understand right SA is looking to open borders by September. Unfortunately anything is possible with the SA government, but if I hear any updates I'll post them here for you.

I did see today that EU is opening to international travel from 1 July for certain countries. Maybe double check your tickets options again. Have you spoken to the consulate again since IR1 / CR1 become mission critical? 

Edited by TamDill

5 minutes ago, TamDill said:

If you received your visa in March is it not valid until September. From what I understand you have 6 months to enter the US?  If that's the case you may be okay - I've seen your other post about your situation with your visa expiring and not be able to extend - sorry to hear what's happening ☹️. If we understand right SA is looking to open borders by September. Unfortunately anything is possible with the SA government, but if I hear any updates I'll post them here for you.

I did see today that EU is opening to international travel from 1 July for certain countries. Maybe double check your tickets options again. Have you spoken to the consulate again since IR1 / CR1 become mission critical? 

My visa expires 22nd of August. Yes EU is opening but those who have a IR1 visa cannot transit or travel through schenzen countries including UK and Ireland. I thought the travel restrictions were only for tourist or other type of visa but it include my visa as well. 

Somewhere it did says excluding spouse of a US citizen. But the US embassy told me the IR1 visa is an immigrant visa that's why am not allowed to go through EU countries. It has to be via Dubai. So basically I have 3 hopes 

1. emirates decide to have one flight before 22nd of August 

2. The president decide to remove the travel ban on EU countries 

3. Mauritian borders open in beginning of Aug. 

6 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

But the US embassy told me the IR1 visa is an immigrant visa that's why am not allowed to go through EU countries.

You can transit EU today as spouses are exempted:

Sec. 2 Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

Your issue is getting out of Mauritius.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

24 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You can transit EU today as spouses are exempted:

Sec. 2 Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

Your issue is getting out of Mauritius.

I send them a, second mail quoting this proclamation and asking for clarification as the first one they told me am not allowed to go through EU countries. Even my husband mailed them. My screenshot attached have a look 

Screenshot_20200629_014551_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg

3 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Looks like a boilerplate response that inexperienced local staff sends out. Since you already have an IR-1 visa, your point of contact should be CBP and/or the airlines. You are clearly exempt from the proclamations

I send a mail last week to CBP asking for clarification about my situation. No response yet. I don't want to take the risks travel from Mauritius transit EU & they don't let me in US.  If ever CBP answer me at least I have a proof to show if they stop me at the airport. Am stressed too as my visa expires in August and Mauritian border Stil close. I can travel through Dubai only I guess. By the way there's only US people who work in the office here. They don't even answer phone calls. 

17 minutes ago, Vani & Henry said:

I send a mail last week to CBP asking for clarification about my situation. No response yet.

Each POE has a phone number: https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports Also, all IR-1 travelers I know were granted entry recently by CBP despite coming from Schengen Area, UK, Ireland, Brazil, Iran, or mainland China. If airport/airline employees give you issues ask them to check with their CBP contact (IAP, etc.). IATA database is a resource used by airline employees: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.