landy88

Social Security

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I had to send my Green card and birth certificate to my local SSA office last month, in order to enrol in Medicare. I sent them priority overnight with USPS signature and tracking and included a prepaid addressed return priority express envelope for them to use to send them back to me. It was the only way I could get it done .. I didn’t like having to do it .. but there were no options. I followed up by phone to ensure it was into their system and they confirmed it was. She could also see the note about the return envelope. My documents arrived  back to me about 7 days after I sent them.. and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  And I am successfully enrolled in Medicare.. another big sigh of relief 

7 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I had to send my Green card and birth certificate to my local SSA office last month, in order to enrol in Medicare. I sent them priority overnight with USPS signature and tracking and included a prepaid addressed return priority express envelope for them to use to send them back to me. It was the only way I could get it done .. I didn’t like having to do it .. but there were no options. I followed up by phone to ensure it was into their system and they confirmed it was. She could also see the note about the return envelope. My documents arrived  back to me about 7 days after I sent them.. and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  And I am successfully enrolled in Medicare.. another big sigh of relief 

Can my husband do that to get his social security card?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, landy88 said:

Can my husband do that to get his social security card?  

He should make a phone call to your local SSA Office and speak to the agent. They should be able to take all the relevant information over the phone and will then tell him how to get the required documents to them. I have heard a few people say that they have been able to go to the door of the office and hand over the documents in person. This wasn’t available at my local office so I had to post them in. make the call and request to be assisted to apply for  a SSN. 

Edited by Lil bear

42 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

He should make a phone call to your local SSA Office and speak to the agent. They should be able to take all the relevant information over the phone and will then tell him how to get the required documents to them. I have heard a few people say that they have been able to go to the door of the office and hand over the documents in person. This wasn’t available at my local office so I had to post them in. make the call and request to be assisted to apply for  a SSN. 

Ok, thank you so much. We will be making that call on Monday. 

On 8/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, VTimmy said:

Anybody know if having the passport with the stamp

alone will be enough to get a driver license at least? 
still no social

no green card after 3 months waiting

https://www.stilt.com/blog/2019/12/driver-license-without-social-security-number/#:~:text=Some%20states%20grant%20a%20driver's,driver%20licenses%20to%20undocumented%20immigrants.

Read all parts & Following this thread.

I arrived in the US on 3rd August on an IR1 visa.

Called the USCIS on 18th August and they said my GC was 'In Production', they knew no information on the status of SSN but I did click to send on DS260 form when applying online.

I'm kind of in limbo as far as what to do! The SSN has not yet arrived..

I have a couple of questions:

- What is the way to word it on the phone to get through to a real person? Every time I've called you seem to need to enter a SSN which I obviously don't have!

- Though it is fine for me to work with my 551 visa, how can I get paid without a SSN?

- In order to get paid, I need a bank account which I also can't do without SSN. Are there ways around this?

Please help!

C.

7 minutes ago, Charlotte156 said:

Read all parts & Following this thread.

I arrived in the US on 3rd August on an IR1 visa.

Called the USCIS on 18th August and they said my GC was 'In Production', they knew no information on the status of SSN but I did click to send on DS260 form when applying online.

I'm kind of in limbo as far as what to do! The SSN has not yet arrived..

I have a couple of questions:

- What is the way to word it on the phone to get through to a real person? Every time I've called you seem to need to enter a SSN which I obviously don't have!

- Though it is fine for me to work with my 551 visa, how can I get paid without a SSN?

- In order to get paid, I need a bank account which I also can't do without SSN. Are there ways around this?

Please help!

C.

We are all in the same situation. My husband been here since March 16th, and only received his GC. I do understand that many people may say that he is able to work with his 551 visa, but every job is asking for his SSN. When I call the SSN office they tell me he has to reapply for it, and that it has to be in-person (but again all there offices are close, God knows till when). 

He was able to open a bank account with Chase. All he needed was two forms for ID (passport and GC) and proof of address ( the letter that the GC came in). 

On 8/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, Lil bear said:

That's great about Medicare! Congrats.

It seems like I may have to do the same once my GC arrives and send both the passport & GC.

Do you know if it's possible to send them to a Social Security Administration office not on your listed documents in another city? I may have visit family soon, away from my spouse's address.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 6/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, Paul & Mary said:

How the hell can we do that if SSA is unresponsive?

-> The payer should keep documentation to show that his failure to supply a payee TIN on Form W-2 or Form 1099 or Form 1042-S is caused solely by the SSA's procedures for issuing SSNs to aliens.

Edited by Lskifghj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

07.09.2020 в 21:08, landy88 сказал:

Мы все в одинаковой ситуации. Мой муж был здесь с 16 марта и получил только GC. Я могу работать со своей визой 551, но на каждой работе требуется его SSN. Когда я звоню в офис SSN, они говорят мне, что он должен подать заявку повторно, и что это должно быть лично (но опять же, все офисы рядом, Бог знает, до каких пор). 

Он смог открыть банковский счет в Чейза. Все, что ему было нужно, это две формы для удостоверения личности (паспорт и GC) и подтверждение адреса (письмо, которое пришло GC). 

it is best for him to drive up to the local office and try to leave an application for receiving an ssn there

Edited by LeslieCovin1974

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I think I am just going to fill out the form (it is available on line here https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Print it and try to go to my local Social Security office to handle it to them with my passport and my admission stamp that is on my passport.

Let's give it a try. 🤨

USCIS - FILING FOR I-751 (CR1)

May 21st 2022 : package sent (with Fedex / Delivered on May 23rd) 

May 27th 2022: case received with Receipt # (NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER)

May 31st 2022: NOA received. I-797 (24months extension)

June 11th 2022: NOA for a Biometrics appointment (set for June 30th - need to reschedule it - not in the US on that day! 😱)

June 14th 2022: walk in at the Center - all went well. Biometrics done!

December 8th 2022: Received a Notice of Action. I-751 APPROVED! 🎉

December 10th 2022: New GreenCard received in the mail 🥳

On 9/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, landy88 said:

Though it is fine for me to work with my 551 visa, how can I get paid without a SSN?

As a UK Citizen, I can recommend Transferwise.  Originally I used them for sending money to my wife in the US, but a Transferwise account can now become a virtual bank account.  You can deposit money into your Transferwise account, choose to have it denominated in US Dollars, get a debit card for the account and get a valid US routing number / account number for incoming bank payments.  Application and ID verification is all online.  I’ve been using it since I arrived last week, and everything has worked smoothly so far.

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline
On 9/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, Alix64 said:

Hello Everyone,

I think I am just going to fill out the form (it is available on line here https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Print it and try to go to my local Social Security office to handle it to them with my passport and my admission stamp that is on my passport.

Let's give it a try. 🤨

Nop, it did not work.
They told me to call Immigration. I simply don't exist in their system and the request has to come from USCIS...

Great! Arrrfffffghhhhh! 😩

USCIS - FILING FOR I-751 (CR1)

May 21st 2022 : package sent (with Fedex / Delivered on May 23rd) 

May 27th 2022: case received with Receipt # (NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER)

May 31st 2022: NOA received. I-797 (24months extension)

June 11th 2022: NOA for a Biometrics appointment (set for June 30th - need to reschedule it - not in the US on that day! 😱)

June 14th 2022: walk in at the Center - all went well. Biometrics done!

December 8th 2022: Received a Notice of Action. I-751 APPROVED! 🎉

December 10th 2022: New GreenCard received in the mail 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.