breadlover408

Too many questions :(

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Actually a long time lurker of this forum (did not join but read a lot of information) etc, but sometimes still unsure of certain things.

I know every couple has their own timeline and own story, so I hope no one judges me differently.
I met my now fiance last year in September. We are "at that age" (mid 30's) where we were both looking to settle down with a future spouse, and...ta-dah, we were both sent to each other. 
I know it sounds cheesy but I'm sure some of you understand that when you've met the right person, you've met the right person and you know, and so he proposed in March "online" coz we were just apart (and the bloody virus!).

We've met for about a week in December 2019, and we do literally do Facetime calls which each other every day with no fail till today.

We wanted to meet again in May this year, but the Covid situation proved unfortunate timing.

Thing is, we want to apply for K1 too and found a missed opportunity to show more evidence now from a cancelled trip, and not sure when we can meet again since once of us is from the US, and one of us is from Malaysia.

So my questions are:

1. Is there too little evidence? We travelled to Thailand too in December together. We can get Facetime screenshots of us talking to each other's families.
2. How do we explain the Covid situation that we weren't able to meet as planned in May? 

3. If our K1 is approved (it'll be next year I suppose), worse situation if Covid is still around, how does one travel then to the US to get married? Will it be postponed?

I mean, we obviously want to be together to start our own life and future and a family already.

If chance came by, both of us will immediately travel to see each other when the borders open.

The Covid situation just made everything unfortunate for us and I panic and get a little depressed everyday :(
and I know it's a very hard time for everybody too.

Thank you, and I appreciate any help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, breadlover408 said:

Hi guys,

Actually a long time lurker of this forum (did not join but read a lot of information) etc, but sometimes still unsure of certain things.

I know every couple has their own timeline and own story, so I hope no one judges me differently.
I met my now fiance last year in September. We are "at that age" (mid 30's) where we were both looking to settle down with a future spouse, and...ta-dah, we were both sent to each other. 
I know it sounds cheesy but I'm sure some of you understand that when you've met the right person, you've met the right person and you know, and so he proposed in March "online" coz we were just apart (and the bloody virus!).

We've met for about a week in December 2019, and we do literally do Facetime calls which each other every day with no fail till today.

We wanted to meet again in May this year, but the Covid situation proved unfortunate timing.

Thing is, we want to apply for K1 too and found a missed opportunity to show more evidence now from a cancelled trip, and not sure when we can meet again since once of us is from the US, and one of us is from Malaysia.

So my questions are:

1. Is there too little evidence? We travelled to Thailand too in December together. We can get Facetime screenshots of us talking to each other's families.
2. How do we explain the Covid situation that we weren't able to meet as planned in May? 

3. If our K1 is approved (it'll be next year I suppose), worse situation if Covid is still around, how does one travel then to the US to get married? Will it be postponed?

I mean, we obviously want to be together to start our own life and future and a family already.

If chance came by, both of us will immediately travel to see each other when the borders open.

The Covid situation just made everything unfortunate for us and I panic and get a little depressed everyday :(
and I know it's a very hard time for everybody too.

Thank you, and I appreciate any help.

1)  quality of evidence not quantity.   Some people,  myself included,  sent minimal evidence.  I sent 4 pieces of paper.  No photos, no chats, no emails.  Nothing more than entry stamps and boarding passes.

2. Proof of one meeting is all the petition requires.

3.  Deal with that then if it is still a factor.   Nothing to do at the moment 

YMMV

Wow! You seem depressed. This is such an effortless process to do. Just do what they ask and get used to waiting. Waiting is not going to stop here. It's going to be the same for the next process alllllll the way to naturalization if indeed that is your goal.

No one can predict the future so it's fruitless to be concerned with it now when you have the process in front of you to complete to the interview. When you are ready for your interview the scenery will have changed and new challenges will exist. Good luck and stay engaged. 

Your overthinking this process. Stay in the now.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Thanks guys, yeah you're right I am stressing out more than I should be than focusing on this.
Need to slap myself out of Covid worries and get on it!

@payxibka - understood about quality over quantity....but def wish there was a chance to show a second meeting! :)

On 6/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, breadlover408 said:

1. When you're first applying you should focus primarily on proving that you've met within 2 years prior to the application - document your trip together - tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps and a few photos together. You should have enough if you can provide these things. Proving its an ongoing relationship with lots of online chat isn't so valuable at this stage as they are primarily interested in whether you've met in person. A FB post of you together in Thailand with family commenting on it might be useful as additional evidence.

2. Everyone knows about Covid19. Its not going to be a problem explaining why you didn't meet during the outbreak.
3. No one knows what the situation will be next year. If you aren't able to travel at that point, I'm sure USCIS will extend validity periods etc.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, breadlover408 said:

Thanks guys, yeah you're right I am stressing out more than I should be than focusing on this.
Need to slap myself out of Covid worries and get on it!

@payxibka - understood about quality over quantity....but def wish there was a chance to show a second meeting! :)

Why a second meeting?  You don't get extra credit from the uscis 

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 1:52 AM, payxibka said:

Why a second meeting?  You don't get extra credit from the uscis 

Nah, we thought if we could show more evidence (just incase) that would be cool (instead of just one time).

On 6/17/2020 at 1:15 AM, Limey said:

1. When you're first applying you should focus primarily on proving that you've met within 2 years prior to the application - document your trip together - tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps and a few photos together. You should have enough if you can provide these things. Proving its an ongoing relationship with lots of online chat isn't so valuable at this stage as they are primarily interested in whether you've met in person. A FB post of you together in Thailand with family commenting on it might be useful as additional evidence.

2. Everyone knows about Covid19. Its not going to be a problem explaining why you didn't meet during the outbreak.
3. No one knows what the situation will be next year. If you aren't able to travel at that point, I'm sure USCIS will extend validity periods etc.

So...not to be judged but we don't have each other on social media (he has a unlucky situation before).

We're both not really into social media anyway, and we're always on FaceTime and Whatsapp every day.

But as a female for myself on social media, I do post about him on mine and I have friends commenting etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.