bradoony

Supporting Documenets of I-944

16 posts in this topic

Hello Guys. Thank you all for the information you provided. We are doing I 944 right now and on the instruction for it says that we need to provide IRS tax transcript. We tried so many times to get it online and the system can not verify me even I provided everything that was needed. I called IRS and they told me that at the moment there is no other way to get the transcript but online. So do you think its okay If we send the documents without the requested transcript ( we can send 1040 and W2 )? And my second question is about the education part. Which education evaluation services are the fastest ? Thank you!

I-944 isn't needed for IR1/CR1.  What visa are you chasing?  :time:https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=360512

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

I-944 isn't needed for IR1/CR1.  What visa are you chasing?  :time:https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=360512

My wife and I are recently married and I'm filling out all the forms. I don't think you  right? I-944 applies to all new immigrants. It as to be applied along with the I-485 as of February

29 minutes ago, bradoony said:

My wife and I are recently married and I'm filling out all the forms. I don't think you  right? I-944 applies to all new immigrants. It as to be applied along with the I-485 as of February

Nope; definitely not a requirement for IR/CR-1.
There’s the DS-5540, although whether it’s required depends on the embassy. 
but the IR/CR-1 also doesn’t deal with the I-485. 

As a note: the CR/IR-1 category is an immigrant visa applied for from outside the US. It sounds like you might be applying from inside the US, given your forms. 

that’s why it’s good to fill in your timeline; so people know what information is relevant to you. 

Edited by Melc

Then you’re in the wrong section; you’ll be wanting to check out this part of the site:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-amp-tourist-visas/

~~moved to AOS from work tourist and student visas from IR1/CR1 process and procedures ~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

16 minutes ago, Melc said:

Then you’re in the wrong section; you’ll be wanting to check out this part of the site:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-amp-tourist-visas/

awesome thank you very much

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

For education evaluation we used SpanTran, paid for their 2-day rush service and turnaround was a bit over 24 hours. For the tax transcript I'm not sure, all I can say is the I-944 instructions seem very clear to me that tax transcript is required.

05/06/2020 - Married on VWP

05/11/2020 - AOS Package Delivered to Chicago Lockbox via UPS

05/18/2020 - Credit Card Charged

05/19/2020 - NOA1 Text Notifications Received

05/26/2020 - NOA1 Paper Notifications Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 5/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, Melc said:

Nope; definitely not a requirement for IR/CR-1.
There’s the DS-5540, although whether it’s required depends on the embassy. 
but the IR/CR-1 also doesn’t deal with the I-485. 

As a note: the CR/IR-1 category is an immigrant visa applied for from outside the US. It sounds like you might be applying from inside the US, given your forms. 

that’s why it’s good to fill in your timeline; so people know what information is relevant to you. 

I-944 has to be filled by all IR/CR-1 based green card applicants effective Feb-24-2020. Please see the following link : https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Those who meet certain requirements (i.e. if you have worked more than ~10 years in the US) may not have to fill out an I-944. These requirements are listed in I-485 instructions.

11 minutes ago, waiver is coming said:

I-944 has to be filled by all IR/CR-1 based green card applicants effective Feb-24-2020. Please see the following link : https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Those who meet certain requirements (i.e. if you have worked more than ~10 years in the US) may not have to fill out an I-944. These requirements are listed in I-485 instructions.

Immigrant visas, e.g., IR/CR, are not processed by USCIS, but the DOS. The link you post applies to adjustment of status and is subject to USCIS. For IVs it is the embassy, and thus DOS, that adjudicates. 

To make an assessment on public charge the DOS use DS-5540.

Form I-485 does not apply to IV applications from abroad. 

note that this was initially posted in the wrong section. 

Edited by Melc

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Melc said:

Immigrant visas, e.g., IR/CR, are not processed by USCIS, but the DOS. The link you post applies to adjustment of status and is subject to USCIS. For IVs it is the embassy, and thus DOS, that adjudicates. 

To make an assessment on public charge the DOS use DS-5540.

Form I-485 does not apply to IV applications from abroad. 

note that this was initially posted in the wrong section. 

Ahh, ok I didn't notice that he was applying from outside US.

1 minute ago, waiver is coming said:

Ahh, ok I didn't notice that he was applying from outside US.

Ah no, he is! But he initially this posted in “our” section! 

Timeline
Just now, Melc said:

Ah no, he is! But he initially this posted in “our” section! 

I'm somewhat confused now. I am also applying for an adjustment of status (I-130 & I-485) in the US through my wife who is an American citizen. Are you saying that I do not have to submit an I-944?

The confusion arose from this being posted in the wrong section and subsequent confusion about an immigrant visa  versus adjustment of status.

You apply for a visa from outside the US. You adjust status from inside the US. 

if you adjust status you fill out an I-944. If you apply for a visa you fill out a DS-5540. Both of these refer to the public charge rule. 

In your case, you’d fill out an I-944. 

Edited by Melc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.