ThiagoAKern

MOVING WITHOUT APPLYING FOR STATE ID WHILE APLLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP

8 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone! Because of the current pandemic, my husband and I are leaving CA and moving temporarily to TN until the end of the year. Because we don't plan to stay there permanently, we don't want to change our IDs. I'm eligible to apply for citizenship on October 10th, 3 months before the date on my green card and intend to do it as soon as possible. My I-751 is still pending and I have filed the change of address with USCIS (I know you're only supposed to do it once you move but considering the state of the world now I doubt my case will move forward in the next month). Do I have to get a TN license and live in TN 3 months before my citizenship application opens in October? I'm moving there in the end of June and want some clarity on what is the best route to take. Thank you all!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

To satisfy the residency requirement, you must have been a resident of the state or USCIS district where you plan to apply for citizenship for at least three months immediately prior to applying for naturalization

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

This depends on lot of circumstances:

- Do you have a California address while you can keep the records of all your banks statement and pay stubs to that address?

- Are you going to sign a new lease in TN?

- Do you need to drive in TN? some states require you change your DL within a specific period of time otherwise you can get tickets

- When you come back to California do you need to sign a new lease or you just move back to your previous home?

Filed: Timeline

Beware! If you have a car accident in TN and your insurance (or the other car's insurance) finds out (and they lots of money to investigate claims) that you have been living outside of California and never bothered to get a new dDL, they can refuse to cover your claim. Do it the legal way and get a TN license.

1 hour ago, ThiagoAKern said:

Hello, everyone! Because of the current pandemic, my husband and I are leaving CA and moving temporarily to TN until the end of the year. Because we don't plan to stay there permanently, we don't want to change our IDs. I'm eligible to apply for citizenship on October 10th, 3 months before the date on my green card and intend to do it as soon as possible. My I-751 is still pending and I have filed the change of address with USCIS (I know you're only supposed to do it once you move but considering the state of the world now I doubt my case will move forward in the next month). Do I have to get a TN license and live in TN 3 months before my citizenship application opens in October? I'm moving there in the end of June and want some clarity on what is the best route to take. Thank you all!!

If you want to apply while in TN which is what it sounds like, yes. June to October should be plenty fine for that though? If the process is not completed before you move back to CA, then you will just register change of address again, and the application will be transferred to whatever your local office in CA is. There’s no residency requirement for transferring the file once you’ve applied.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

If you want to apply while in TN which is what it sounds like, yes. June to October should be plenty fine for that though? If the process is not completed before you move back to CA, then you will just register change of address again, and the application will be transferred to whatever your local office in CA is. There’s no residency requirement for transferring the file once you’ve applied.

Curious about this part though. If you apply in a state and move to another state - how long does it take for the old state USCIS offices to transfer out your case.  I'm curious if its a month or two or you actually have to wait till whatever processing time the old USCIS office is following which can vary a lot between difference USCIS offices.

Spoiler

Islamabad Embassy Interview coming up soon? Please join here: >> Islamabad Embassy Interview coming up.

01/2016: Petition filed for my visa
02/2016: USCIS confirmed receiving our file/petition on 1st Feb.
04/2016: I-130 Approval email received from DHS towards early May, our case was approved end of April. 
03/2017: Paid AoS and IV Bill
03/2017: Sent AoS and IV Packages via mail.
04/2017: 5th day of April, NVC received package. Can take up to 11 weeks for CC according to nvc.

06/2017: 6th day of June, Case Completed - confirmed via phone

07/2017: Interviewed end of July 2017.

>> Passport with Visa received the next day of interview 

8/2017: POE via JFK

05/2020: N400 Filed

06/2021: Biometrics taken

02/2022: Interview Scheduled (Yes, after 22 months -.- )

5 hours ago, abfar said:

Curious about this part though. If you apply in a state and move to another state - how long does it take for the old state USCIS offices to transfer out your case.  I'm curious if its a month or two or you actually have to wait till whatever processing time the old USCIS office is following which can vary a lot between difference USCIS offices.

From my understanding: It definitely delays the process a bit during the actual transfer. You keep your original priority date so depending which two offices are involved, that can either speed up or slow down the process as a whole. I read a post (I don’t remember if it was VJ or another forum) where someone moved to a faster FO jurisdiction and from having had months still to wait at old FO, was invited for interview as soon as the file had been transferred.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.