rosa_s

K1 Visa - Coronavirus - Colombia's ban on international flights

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello!

I recently got my NOA2 for a K1 visa on April 20, 2020 with a valid date from 4/20 to 8/19. My fiancé is from Colombia. Due to the coronavirus, Colombia is banning all international flights until August 31 (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-latam-airlines/colombia-follows-argentina-in-banning-all-international-flights-through-august-31-idUSKBN22W2T8). Is this going to be an issue on the approval notice validity date? What exactly do I have to do to extend this? 

I was really hoping to have my fiancé join me as soon as possible but now I'm unsure if it'll even be this year. 

Thank you for all the help!

2 minutes ago, rosa_s said:

What exactly do I have to do to extend this? 

To reissue a visa you have to contact the consulate with the reasons you were not able to travel during the validity period.  If acceptable the consulate will request a new DS-160, medical, interview and possibly updated documents.  This hasn't ever happened on this scale before so wait until they tell you want to do.

Obviously your first choice is to find a way to travel before the visa expires.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OP said they only have noa2, not a Visa in hand. Still have to schedule and pass The interview, along with medical exam and etc. I don't think they have their Visa yet. And probably won't get it until August anyway the way things are going.

And the embassy will automatically extend the noa2 until interview time.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
On 5/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, rosa_s said:

Hello!

I recently got my NOA2 for a K1 visa on April 20, 2020 with a valid date from 4/20 to 8/19. My fiancé is from Colombia. Due to the coronavirus, Colombia is banning all international flights until August 31 

Thanks for the post, my fiance and son are in Colombia and we received our NOA2 on 5/12. I’ve been away since February, I hope they will open flights soon so I can get down there. 

Timeline

Following this thread.  I had an interview scheduled for early August, but it got cancelled a few weeks ago.  I rescheduled and that was cancelled a few days later, and I received an email to the effect that they are closing the portal for appointments indefinitely but they are working to resume ASAP.  I have checked as recently as yesterday and there are no appointments available. 

Bogota is definitely a hotspot in the country and they have been under pretty tight lockdown.  I'm sure reopening the embassy will depend on what happens in Bogota specifically.  In addition, I don't see them opening up for interviews until August at the earliest, as what is the point in issuing a visa if there are no international flights out of the country (other than humanitarian flights which I don't believe are available for visa holders, though I could be mistaken).  Just my 2 cents though.  We will see!! Hang in there parceros.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they will open up until domestic flights are allowed to travel to the capital so sometime in July.  I believe you can have a visa for up to six months so the international travel date doesn't matter if it starts in September.  A good question you stated was if it K1 visa holders would be allowed on humanitarian flights.  I think if you got an expedited interview, you should be able to do so.  All it takes is permission.

• 2 weeks later...

"Over the past few months, the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá has arranged humanitarian flights monthly to the U.S.

The U.S. Embassy in Bogotá recently announced that Spirt Airlines will operate humanitarian flights on several dates in July from Colombia to the United States.

These flights are for primarily for U.S. citizens and permanent residents that want to return to the U.S. However, other nationals may be permitted on these flights to the U.S. to connect on their way home but U.S. citizens have priority."

Timeline

Quarantine was extended to July 15.  The President did not state how this would impact the re-opening of domestic flights (which was supposed to happen in July), or the subsequent reopening of international flights in September.  I think they purposely keep it vague until the last second to give themselves options but it creates mass confusion. 

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.