Stein

Petitioner Birth Certificate in Vietnam

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

On the US Consulate in Vietnam website https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/required-documents/ which list required documents to bring to the interview it lists all birth certificates for petitioner and applicants.  

8. Birth Certificates: Copy and original birth certificates of the petitioner, each person listed on the application, and all children of the principal applicant (even if he or she is not accompanying). In case you do not have the petitioner’s birth certificate, the officer will review the case and provide guidance at the interview. If you or any children were adopted, you must submit an official adoption decree.

I'm the petitioner.  I have a copy of mine, but not the original.  Everything else is fine.  We have all other docs.  I live here in Vietnam and will be going to the interview. The question I have is the somewhat cryptic statement above that says "In case you do not have the petitioner’s birth certificate, the officer will review the case and provide guidance at the interview. "  What does this mean?  If everything else besides this looks perfect and above board do they waive this request?   If I really need to have it I can have a copy sent, although it's a pain.  Just want to know if this is a big deal or not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Original with a seal I would expect - doubt they will waive original BC for a copy. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm happy that I came across this post.

I'm the petitioner, I was born in Mexico, but but was US naturalized years ago.

I have the original Mexican birth certificate, but it's in rough shape and I would not trust it in the mail to get to Vietnam.  What is the likelihood that the reviewer will want an original Mexican birth certificate now that I can show the US Naturalization Cert?

Timeline

The officer's can ask for whatever they wish I guess.

Since they are still not operating at full speed yet, only limited services as of June 1st.

My advice is, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Yes it may cost some to get it now

But to me is better to have it and not need it, than finding out at the interview you need it and don't have it.

Good Luck to you both!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was born in Seoul and adopted in the US and don't have a birth certificate.  I submitted my adoption decree and naturalization paperwork and they never asked about the birth certificate.

Timeline

I've got time as I'm still waiting for our interview appointment so I'm having it sent from the US.  Better safe than sorry.  I have something shipped here from my work every month or so and they can just stick it in the package.

Timeline

On a different note, my wife said flights from USA would start September 1st of this year it was announced. Is better late than never I guess, Good luck

Timeline

From my personal experience, if petitioner is dual citizen( VN-US), CO possible want to see the birth cert( certified copy only), so just give the certified copy to the CO if the ask for it.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm going update here in case anyone reading this post in the future. My wife got her interview earlier this week and throughout the whole interview process, my (petitioner) certified copy birth certificate was not look at all, even when they check the documents before the actual interview. But since the requirement is there on the consulate web page, I would bring at least a certified copy to be sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.