Zaraliaya

Flying to the USA from Canada

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, Ive been hearing a lot of people saying Canadians can visit the US, so I looked it up and found that the border closed thing, is only LAND based.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06217/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service   --3rd Paragraph from bottom

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US   --scroll down to canadian restrictions

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/   --First question of Q&A

They all say we can fly there. What do you all think?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zaraliaya said:

They all say we can fly there. What do you all think?

It's up to the border officer. Some are allowing people to visit, some are sticking to the essential/non-essential thing even though it doesn't apply to air travel. If you can afford to lose the money for a flight if you are denied, I'd absolutely try it since it won't hurt your visa if you are denied entry. 

Personally, I'll be trying to fly as soon as I've been in Canada for long enough (that whole "as long out as in" thing is a real pain right now!)

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

On 5/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, DGF said:

some are sticking to the essential/non-essential thing even though it doesn't apply to air travel.

Can you link some examples for air travel into the US? I could only find examples for air travel into Canada: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/05/03/canadians-with-foreign-national-spouses-face-obstacles-at-border.html "However, since April, a growing number of foreign spouses and children of Canadians have been refused admission into Canada because their travels are deemed “non-essential and optional” by Canadian border agents at airports and land border crossings, said lawyers."

Timeline
2 hours ago, HRQX said:

Can you link some examples for air travel into the US? I could only find examples for air travel into Canada: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/05/03/canadians-with-foreign-national-spouses-face-obstacles-at-border.html "However, since April, a growing number of foreign spouses and children of Canadians have been refused admission into Canada because their travels are deemed “non-essential and optional” by Canadian border agents at airports and land border crossings, said lawyers."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/apparent-loophole-in-travel-restrictions-allows-canadians-to-travel-to-u-s-1.4942108

Also a number of anecdotal stories are popping up around here and on social media of people being able to fly to the US. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline

I flew from Ottawa to Pennsylvania on May 1st to visit my fiance and returned May 17. I flew American Airlines and told customs I was visiting my fiance, that I knew I had to self isolate for 14 days and that I had been working from home since Mar 24 (which I have been). On those conditions, he "granted me permission to enter the US" - his words.

Upon returning to Ontario last Sun, I've had one call from Public Health of Canada and 3 calls from the Ontario Ministry of Health (2 missed, 1 talked to), to ensure I was adhering to the mandatory 14 day isolation.

Btw, I'm in the process of K1.

Edited by dlmb
Add info

Timeline
On 5/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, dlmb said:

I flew from Ottawa to Pennsylvania on May 1st to visit my fiance and returned May 17. I flew American Airlines and told customs I was visiting my fiance, that I knew I had to self isolate for 14 days and that I had been working from home since Mar 24 (which I have been). On those conditions, he "granted me permission to enter the US" - his words.

Upon returning to Ontario last Sun, I've had one call from Public Health of Canada and 3 calls from the Ontario Ministry of Health (2 missed, 1 talked to), to ensure I was adhering to the mandatory 14 day isolation.

Weird, so they're only doing calls?! 

I only get back August (or earlier if embassy opens and lets me schedule my interview) but I was wondering how they actually check up on you, it's good to know.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Zaraliaya said:

Weird, so they're only doing calls?! 

I only get back August (or earlier if embassy opens and lets me schedule my interview) but I was wondering how they actually check up on you, it's good to know.

I read a news article that stated if they can't reach you by phone, they will send the local police to your home to check on you. Don't know how many times you need to miss their call in order for them to do that though.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Flying into the US is allowed:

Sorry should have been clearer! I meant just for purposes of visiting. Not with K1 visa in hand. We’re still waiting for our NOA2 and I’ve read anecdotally of people being let through. But I just called Pearson and they said it would have to be considered essential travel to fly to the US. I am going to try calling CBP tomorrow also to see as I would like to try to fly through Toronto...

Timeline

What!? I had no idea...!? 😳

@dlmb Is it allowed to quarantine at your fiance's home if they are okay with it and quarantine with you or are you expected to do it alone (in a hotel room or whatever)?

I've read on here before that crossing during the K1 process isn't that big of a deal (a while back I remember there was a lot of confusion about it but since then most people seem to say there's no problem as long as you have a return ticket and that the officer has no doubt you plan on overstaying or anything like that) 

I'm seriously going to look into this then...I got laid off and my fiance has been working from home for a few months.  

As for risking a plane ticket, you can get a voucher up to 2 hours from departure until June 30, at least with Air Canada. 

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html?icid=INT:INTR:covid-19:052220::banneracdotcom|caen#/ac-upcoming-booking 

(sorry meant to write under this but the text editor won't let me lol)

On 5/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, dlmb said:

Edited by bojek

Timeline

In the US, I was able to self isolate at my fiance's. Coming back into Canada, they are much more strict. Are you flying into the US? or Canada?

I used American Airlines as that was the only option at the time, and it only cost me $220 US. My fiance actually lives in Catonsville, MD but flights into/out of BWI were nightmarish long.

Under normal circumstances, we would drive cross border to see each other. Since starting the K1 process, and before the covid, I've crossed into the US by land border 4 times. I just carry alot of documentation to prove residency in Canada should customs ask for it.

Timeline

Do all of you traveling to the US right now have valid health insurance for the US? 
Due to the global travel advisory, basically no insurance would cover you that I have found.   So if something were to happen you would have to pay out of pocket. This is why I’m hesitant to go for now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.