cjsm19

State Department Reopening For Tourist Visas Confusion

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I know I have posted before, but as I see more updates and posts I become even more confused about what’s going on. 

I just saw an article online saying that the State Department would start opening up in phases. Is this a hopeful thing for those wanting to obtain travel visas? Or could this drag on for months? I understand the importance of keeping everyone safe, but it’s just so frustrating to not know. My boyfriend is planning on visiting in December. Could they be up and running before then? 

I keep seeing some people on here saying that travel is not banned, it just is suspended until consulates reopen. Then recently, I saw another user saying that the borders will be closed to all travel for the foreseeable future, and will possibly be closed up until next year. Both statements contradict themselves and I’m very confused. Should I call off the plans with my boyfriend or is there hope? Sorry for being so repetitive - I am prone to high anxiety and all of this nonsense going on in the world is just making it worse. Thanks for listening.

Well, you need to take a deep breath.  it’s probably confusing becasue you’re rolling a bunch of things into one. Yes, some countries have closed their borders. The US is not one of those. You haven’t said where your boyfriend is so maybe he is in one of those countries. And yes things will not all reopen at the same instant because different countries are at different stages and will have different rules for reopening at different times. Really no point stressing about things you can’t control. Just focus on the relevant news for his country and keep an eye on when his embassy starts allowing visa appointments again. 

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, you need to take a deep breath.  it’s probably confusing becasue you’re rolling a bunch of things into one. Yes, some countries have closed their borders. The US is not one of those. You haven’t said where your boyfriend is so maybe he is in one of those countries. And yes things will not all reopen at the same instant because different countries are at different stages and will have different rules for reopening at different times. Really no point stressing about things you can’t control. Just focus on the relevant news for his country and keep an eye on when his embassy starts allowing visa appointments again. 

Thank you so much for commenting. I’ve been definitely rolling everything into one - I really should be practicing media distancing along with social distancing - journalists are so doom and gloom about everything. He is from the Ukraine which was not part of the initial European travel ban, which is hopeful. He says they have been easing restrictions and are continuing to do so, which is hopeful. 

So from what you’ve said, am I understanding correctly that once his country has fully reopened, it is likely they’ll start taking visa appointments and he should be able to come?

9 minutes ago, cjsm19 said:

So from what you’ve said, am I understanding correctly that once his country has fully reopened, it is likely they’ll start taking visa appointments and he should be able to come?

No one knows.  This global pandemic is unprecedented - we haven't been through it before.  Best advice is for you to keep apprised of the situation in Ukraine by watching for updates on the embassy's website.

38 minutes ago, cjsm19 said:

Thank you so much for commenting. I’ve been definitely rolling everything into one - I really should be practicing media distancing along with social distancing - journalists are so doom and gloom about everything. He is from the Ukraine which was not part of the initial European travel ban, which is hopeful. He says they have been easing restrictions and are continuing to do so, which is hopeful. 

You’ll need both of the DoS instructing embassies to reopen where possible, and local regulations allowing it I guess.

15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You’ll need both of the DoS instructing embassies to reopen where possible, and local regulations allowing it I guess.

Oh gotcha! So the Department of State here as well as in the Ukraine? The article said they’re slowly opening up so maybe that’s a good sign. I can’t imagine they’d be closed for the rest of the year...it would contribute to the devastation of the economy. Gotta stay hopeful I guess. Thanks for responding!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Then you have to wait on the airlines to get their act together. (Another stumbling block)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
17 hours ago, cjsm19 said:

Even by December? I can see how summer tourism would be iffy, but could it still be suspended by late November/early December? It just seems so unreasonable. lol 

Some models call for a peak in cases in November/December so no one can give you an answer. We may have to go through this all again in a few months.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.