171 posts in this topic

I haven’t seen any latest threads on concurrent filings. So I though I will make one for those who are adjusting status from F1 or similar visas and are concurrently filing I130 and I485.

I’ll start with my timeline:

Forms mailed: April 16, 2020

Delivered at Chicago Lockbox: April 17, 2020

Texts received: April 22, 2020

NOA1 in mail: April 25, 2020

Biometrics: Pending 

I131 and I765 NOA2: Pending

I130 and I485 NOA2: Pending

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Good Idea MerryMentor, I'm adjusting from F1 as well and so far my timeline is:

Forms mailed: May 2nd, 2020

Delivered at Chicago Lockbox: May 4th 2020

Texts received: May 12 2020

NOA1 in mail: Pending

31 minutes ago, Ally&Axel said:

Good Idea MerryMentor, I'm adjusting from F1 as well and so far my timeline is:

Forms mailed: May 2nd, 2020

Delivered at Chicago Lockbox: May 4th 2020

Texts received: May 12 2020

NOA1 in mail: Pending

Great, will keep updating here as things progress. Congratulations and good luck!

Soo.... super basic question that I need to make sure I understand correctly. (F1 AOS here too, sending our forms in a day or two fingers crossed)

This guide says that there are two packets that we need to send - the I130 one and the I485 one. Did you guys have 2 separate envelopes within a master envelope that you sent to the Chicago lockbox? Or, should we just use a paperclip to create "packets" in that the forms and evidence for 130 and 485 are separate but joined together? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, samdog said:

Soo.... super basic question that I need to make sure I understand correctly. (F1 AOS here too, sending our forms in a day or two fingers crossed)

This guide says that there are two packets that we need to send - the I130 one and the I485 one. Did you guys have 2 separate envelopes within a master envelope that you sent to the Chicago lockbox? Or, should we just use a paperclip to create "packets" in that the forms and evidence for 130 and 485 are separate but joined together? Thanks.

I used Two envelopes and put them in a big master envelope. Within the envelopes I used a big clip to hold everything together and smaller clips to hold similar things together. I also made sure different form types and the required evidence for each was clipped together. So I had 130 and 130A separated and held by a big Clip, same with 485, 864, 944, 131, and 765. Good luck!

07B3428B-1F00-4E53-9046-177A935A4708.jpeg

E1AA9F79-EAE9-4B7A-A7BE-691728CDD390.jpeg

@MerryMentor thanks. That's incredibly detailed!

Another question:

Our I-693 will have doctor's signature that is ~75 days old by the time USCIS received our forms. Guidelines say 60 days but our wedding was postponed (twice) due to lockdowns. Should we still send this form right now and explain in cover letter why?

Also seems like we have to re-fill I-485 because the version we have has expiration in 2021 which doesn't match the latest online form.

12 minutes ago, samdog said:

@MerryMentor thanks. That's incredibly detailed!

Another question:

Our I-693 will have doctor's signature that is ~75 days old by the time USCIS received our forms. Guidelines say 60 days but our wedding was postponed (twice) due to lockdowns. Should we still send this form right now and explain in cover letter why?

Also seems like we have to re-fill I-485 because the version we have has expiration in 2021 which doesn't match the latest online form.

I would just send the I-693, if they want a new one they’ll send and RFE or you can take a new one to your interview. Considering the pandemic they might accept it or not, nothing to lose at this point by sending it.

Yeah make sure all forms are the proper version, I’ve seen a lot of people get rejected because of outdated forms.

23 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

I would just send the I-693, if they want a new one they’ll send and RFE or you can take a new one to your interview. Considering the pandemic they might accept it or not, nothing to lose at this point by sending it.

Yeah make sure all forms are the proper version, I’ve seen a lot of people get rejected because of outdated forms.

Thanks. And I will send these to this address right? (thinking of using UPS or USCIS)

USCIS Chicago Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service:

USCIS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 S. Dearborn, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

31 minutes ago, samdog said:

Also, does anyone know which office will process my case after the Chicago Lockbox? Or is it just random?

Most likely National Benefits center before it gets transferred to your local field office, but it can be some other office as well. I would also suggest using UPS instead of the USPS to submit your application.

17 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

Most likely National Benefits center before it gets transferred to your local field office, but it can be some other office as well. I would also suggest using UPS instead of the USPS to submit your application.

Thanks! So I'm assuming that NBC will handle the EAD/AP card and then the other parts will be handled by my local office? Either way, not like it's in my control; just wanted to get an idea of what the wait time for EAD/AP will be assuming we send the forms this week and there are no RFEs (or if there are, that we can answer them quickly and correctly).

I will make sure to use UPS! (Edit: Any idea why you recommend using UPS over USPS? Just curious.)

Edited by samdog
clarity

7 minutes ago, samdog said:

Thanks! So I'm assuming that NBC will handle the EAD/AP card and then the other parts will be handled by my local office? Either way, not like it's in my control; just wanted to get an idea of what the wait time for EAD/AP will be assuming we send the forms this week and there are no RFEs (or if there are, that we can answer them quickly and correctly).

I will make sure to use UPS!

NBC handles all the documents, until your case is ready for interview and then your file goes to your field office.

It’s highly variable, a friend got his in 85 days and some people who files in October last year haven’t gotten it yet. You can download lawfully app it gives you a rough timeframe of when your the things will be processed. Also, With current situation in mind it’s hard to tell, especially if they can’t get the biometrics done; however, if you’ve a job offer or if you will lose your job (if you’re using opt ead) you can ask for expedited processing. 

13 minutes ago, samdog said:

That's crazy! I am assuming it'll take 5-8 months for EAD/AP, if not longer due to biometrics being backed up for months.

@MerryMentor Sorry to bother you again, but is there any specific reason you recommended UPS over USPS?

This is just a guess, but if your application is well organized and without complications and errors things go along faster.

I have had USPS delay delivery multiple times and some people have similar experiences based on the information I found on forums here.

Edited by MerryMentor

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.