171 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, samdog said:

Chicago lockbox received our package on Tue 5/26 and the signature confirmation just says “signed by L Lockbox

Is this normal? I thought a person would sign their name there.

also, any idea when we would be notified via email/text? We send separate G-1145 forms for 130/485 packages.

1)Yes it’s normal.

2)You should expect a response within 30 days, if you don’t then you can contact USCIS. It can be sooner, but you shouldn’t worry if it take more than a few weeks.

From now it’s going to be a long waiting game, so just relax and hope everything goes well.

Download case tracker and lawfully apps to notify you when you have any updates.

1 minute ago, MerryMentor said:

Download case tracker and lawfully apps to notify you when you have any updates.

I have them already, “Visa Tracker” and Lawfully. Is that what you meant by case tracker? 

Yep, loooong wait ahead. At what stage do we breathe a sigh of relief? I’m guessing there will be some RFE for I-693 and maybe (but hopefully not) some other things, but is NOA1 or NOA2 the stage where we know that we’re “in line” so to say?

18 minutes ago, samdog said:

I have them already, “Visa Tracker” and Lawfully. Is that what you meant by case tracker? 

Yep, loooong wait ahead. At what stage do we breathe a sigh of relief? I’m guessing there will be some RFE for I-693 and maybe (but hopefully not) some other things, but is NOA1 or NOA2 the stage where we know that we’re “in line” so to say?

Yes, I think for Android it’s visa tracker and for iOS it’s case tracker.

once you get your first NOA that’s a good sign. Based on what I’ve seen, you’ll get a courtesy letter for I-693 to bring it with you for the interview and hopefully within 60 days and basic requests for initial information if any.

Thanks, fingers crossed from here on out! They will most likely ask us to provide foreign bachelor's equivalency and some co-mingling of finances (we got married earlier this month so only had joint utilities, auto insurance, and for co-residency we had driver's licenses with same address and a letter from the city stating that we've been living together since early-2018)

And then there's I-693 of course, which I am thinking of getting from the doctor in about a month or so - since as far as I remember it'll be valid for up to 2 years from NOA1 date (I think?)

23 minutes ago, samdog said:

Thanks, fingers crossed from here on out! They will most likely ask us to provide foreign bachelor's equivalency and some co-mingling of finances (we got married earlier this month so only had joint utilities, auto insurance, and for co-residency we had driver's licenses with same address and a letter from the city stating that we've been living together since early-2018)

And then there's I-693 of course, which I am thinking of getting from the doctor in about a month or so - since as far as I remember it'll be valid for up to 2 years from NOA1 date (I think?)

Yes the medical exam is valid for 2 years, but you should wait until your case is ready to be scheduled for interview or until they RFE for the medical, which is different than the courtesy letter. Make sure to get the education equivalency done as soon as you can, it can sometimes take few months.
You also might want some family and friends write an affidavit regarding your Bona fide marriage and have them ready to be notarized in case USCIS asks for more proof of Bona fide marriage.

Edited by MerryMentor

education equivalency

I know that USCIS has a list of websites that do this, but do you know which is the cheapest option I can get?

family and friends write an affidavit regarding your Bona fide marriage and have them ready to be notarized

Thanks, we will keep some f&f on standby for this. We have submitted photos of us with friends and family, celebrating holidays and vacations, and of both our parents meeting each other. We also have travel documents for trips we took together over the years. Hopefully these are enough but you never know; they could ask for more in which case we have to be prepared.

3 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

wait until your case is ready to be scheduled for interview or until they RFE for the medical, which is different than the courtesy letter

Thanks, will do.

3 minutes ago, samdog said:

I know that USCIS has a list of websites that do this, but do you know which is the cheapest option I can get?

Thanks, we will keep some f&f on standby for this. We have submitted photos of us with friends and family, celebrating holidays and vacations, and of both our parents meeting each other. We also have travel documents for trips we took together over the years. Hopefully these are enough but you never know; they could ask for more in which case we have to be prepared.

Thanks, will do.

I don’t know which is the cheapest one, but I used ECE and they have option for course wise evaluation and just the degree evaluation. Just evaluation of degrees is much cheaper but you will have to check what is Acceptable USCIS.

3 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

I don’t know which is the cheapest one, but I used ECE and they have option for course wise evaluation and just the degree evaluation. Just evaluation of degrees is much cheaper but you will have to check what is Acceptable USCIS.

Thanks. Let me check the instructions for I-944 again and see if USCIS requires course-by-course evaluation or just the degree evaluation. I will look up ECE.

Couple questions:

1) Is it possible for me (foreign spouse beneficiary) to pay the fees for I-130 and I-485? Or does it say anywhere that the US Citizen petitioner has to pay fees?

2a) We haven't received official rejection notice yet - but we will get it because of non-payment of fees (Chase cannot re-process the charge, and USCIS won't re-attempt to charge). Can we submit another packet right away?

2b) Our re-submission will still be "original submission" right?

Just now, MerryMentor said:

I’m sorry, this happens more often than not with the credit cards. I thought you were sending checks. 

I wish, but this time we will send checks for sure. I'm shocked that Chase denied the charges outright without even confirming with us - and yet when actual fraud happens I have to dispute it with someone. Lesson learned; never use credit cards for important government things.

8 minutes ago, samdog said:

Couple questions:

1) Is it possible for me (foreign spouse beneficiary) to pay the fees for I-130 and I-485? Or does it say anywhere that the US Citizen petitioner has to pay fees?

2a) We haven't received official rejection notice yet - but we will get it because of non-payment of fees (Chase cannot re-process the charge, and USCIS won't re-attempt to charge). Can we submit another packet right away?

2b) Our re-submission will still be "original submission" right?

1) You can pay the fees, try using personal checks or call the bank ahead so they know credit card will be charged.

2) Yes.

3) it should be a resubmission, make sure you include the NOA with it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.