171 posts in this topic

Can someone chime in if we're missing some forms/supporting evidence in our packet? Planning to ship tomorrow: (used this guide https://www.visajourney.com/guides/i130-spouse-inside-usa/ to prepare)

Question: How do we send these? It totals to about 250 pages (rough guess based on ~3 inches thickness) and there's no way it fits in any of the envelopes we have. Planning to use paper clips to link relevant documents together (individual I-20s, all forms, individual passports etc.) and then using a bulldog clip to create a packet for I-130 and then for I-485.

Should we put I-130 packet in a separate envelope after using bulldog clip, and ditto with I-485 packet?

And then these packets can go into a larger "overall" packet?

A) Overall packet

1. Cover letter
  2. G-1145 --> Do we need to submit two copies of these for each individual packet, or just one copy outside the individual packets?

B) I-130 packet

1. G-1450 for $535
  2. Cover letter
  3. I-130
  4. I-130A
  5. Copy of all pages of US passport of petitioner
  6. Copy of all pages of foreign passport (current + expired) of beneficiary
  7. Certified copy of marriage license
  8. Two passport style photos of petitioner
  9. Two passport style photos of beneficiary
  10. Evidence of bonafide marriage:
    1. Proof of joint residency
      1. Driver's licenses with same address
      2. Certificate of occupancy from our local city
      3. Joint utility bills - internet, water, electric, auto insurance
    2. Photos over the years since we first started dating, visited family or friends during Christmas or Thanksgiving or weddings, engagement day, wedding day --> 20 total photos
      1. Also a document explaining which photo was from which occasion (the document is printed in black & white with captions below each photo along with the dates and descriptions of people who are with us)
    3. Travel documents - either joint travel, or travel to meet each other while we were living in separate cities for ~6 months
    4. Should we include photos of cards/letters that we sent to each other while we were long distance for ~6 months? We have been living together for 2+ years now.
    5. Is it better to also show proof that we are listed as each other's beneficiaries on our retirement accounts, and health/life insurance accounts?

C) I-485 packet

1. G-1450 for $1225
  2. Cover letter
  3. I-485, along with supporting evidence:
    1. Copy of all pages of foreign passport (current + expired) of beneficiary
    2. Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary --> Should we include this in addition to the copy of the passport? Asking because it's in pretty bad shape and they might likely ask us to get a new copy which who knows will take how long.
    3. Certified copy of marriage license
    4. Latest i94 of beneficiary
    5. Copy of ALL the I-20s of beneficiary --> total 20 I-20 documents
    6. Six passport style photos of beneficiary
    7. Court documents and additional information about a misdemeanor incident that beneficiary had
  4. I-765
  5. I-131
  6. I-864EZ, along with supporting evidence:
    1. Copy of all pages of US passport of petitioner
    2. IRS transcripts of petitioner: 2017, 2018, 2019
    3. Pay stubs of petitioner from last 12 months
  7. I-944, along with supporting evidence:
    1. Checking and savings account statements of both petitioner and beneficiary
    2. Retirement account statements of both petitioner and beneficiary
    3. Property assessment and mortgage statement
    4. Credit report of beneficiary
    5. Credit score document of beneficiary
    6. Current health insurance proof of beneficiary
    7. IRS transcript of beneficiary: 2019
  8. I-693 is NOT included here because doctor's signature expired 10+ days ago and it'll likely be 15-20 days by the time USCIS receives our package. We will get it done in a couple weeks and send it over to USCIS after speaking to them on the phone.
Edited by samdog
clarity

16 minutes ago, samdog said:

Can someone chime in if we're missing some forms/supporting evidence in our packet? Planning to ship tomorrow: (used this guide https://www.visajourney.com/guides/i130-spouse-inside-usa/ to prepare)

Question: How do we send these? It totals to about 250 pages (rough guess based on ~3 inches thickness) and there's no way it fits in any of the envelopes we have. Planning to use paper clips to link relevant documents together (individual I-20s, all forms, individual passports etc.) and then using a bulldog clip to create a packet for I-130 and then for I-485.

Should I put I-130 packet in a separate envelope after using bulldog clip, and ditto with I-485 packet?

A) Overall packet

1. Cover letter
  2. G-1145 --> Do we need to submit two copies of these for each individual packet, or just one copy outside the individual packets?

B) I-130 packet

1. G-1450 for $535
  2. Cover letter
  3. I-130
  4. I-130A
      1. Driver's licenses
    2. Photos over the years since we first started dating, visited family or friends during Christmas or Thanksgiving or weddings, engagement day, wedding day --> 20 total photos
      1. Also a document explaining which photo was from which occasion (the document is printed in black & white with captions below each photo along with the dates and descriptions of people who are with us)
    3. Travel documents - either joint travel, or travel to meet each other while we were living in separate cities for ~6 months
    4. Should we include photos of cards/letters that we sent to each other while we were long distance for ~6 months? We have been living together for 2+ years now.
    5. Is it mandatory to show proof that we are listed as each other's beneficiaries on our retirement accounts, and health/life insurance accounts?

C) I-485 packet

1. G-1450 for $1225
  2. Cover letter
    2. Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary --> Should we include this in addition to the copy of the passport? Asking because it's in pretty bad shape and they might likely ask us to get a new copy which who knows will take how long.
    7. Court documents and additional information about the incident that beneficiary had
  4. I-765
  5. I-131
  8. I-693 is NOT included here because doctor's signature expired 10+ days ago and it'll likely be 15-20 days by the time USCIS receives our package. We will get it done in a couple weeks and send it over to USCIS after speaking to them on the phone.

1) You can buy two different sized envelopes (12 inch for each packet and 14 or 15 inch to put everything in) from Walmart. The I485 I put together barely fit in and then I placed both envelopes into the larger envelope.

2) you should include picture of letters and stuff, it doesn’t hurt.

3) you’re missing proof of commingled finances, join bank account, joint credit card, beneficiary on each other’s retirement account, car or any other property together. I also included the receipt for the wedding band and engagement ring.

4) make sure you include I-94 history with 485.

5) Passport iD page with both 131 and 765.

6) you want to include 2 copies of photos with each form 130, 485, 131, and 765.

7) you can reduce paystubs of your spouse from 12 to 6 months.

😎 Definitely include birth certificate. Also when you say all pages of passport that should just be the ones with travel stamps and visas and not empty pages.

if you have any other questions let me know.

good luck!

25 minutes ago, samdog said:

Should I put I-130 packet in a separate envelope after using bulldog clip, and ditto with I-485 packet?

A) Overall packet

1. Cover letter

B) I-130 packet

1. G-1450 for $535
  2. Cover letter
  3. I-130
  4. I-130A
      1. Driver's licenses
    5. Is it mandatory to show proof that we are listed as each other's beneficiaries on our retirement accounts, and health/life insurance accounts?

C) I-485 packet

1. G-1450 for $1225
  2. Cover letter
    7. Court documents and additional information about the incident that beneficiary had
  4. I-765
  5. I-131

Also do you have any foreign degrees? Then you’ll need to include equivalency of those degrees.

Just now, MerryMentor said:

Also do you have any foreign degrees? Then you’ll need to include equivalency of those degrees.

Yes, beneficiary's high school diploma and undergraduate degree are from a foreign country. They are both in English, though. What should I do about the equivalency do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, samdog said:

Yes, beneficiary's high school diploma and undergraduate degree are from a foreign country. They are both in English, though. What should I do about the equivalency do you recommend?

You can send as is for now, but I944 requires equivalency. You can find one of the acceptable ones online. I excluded my high school from the education portion, since I have Teo masters degrees from here and then included ECE evaluations for my bachelors that o had done a few years ago.

i suggest you take That with you for the interview or if they issue an RFE.

Edited by MerryMentor

3 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

1) You can buy two different sized envelopes (12 inch for each packet and 14 or 15 inch to put everything in) from Walmart. The I485 I put together barely fit in and then I placed both envelopes into the larger envelope.

2) you should include picture of letters and stuff, it doesn’t hurt.

3) you’re missing proof of commingled finances, join bank account, joint credit card, beneficiary on each other’s retirement account, car or any other property together. I also included the receipt for the wedding band and engagement ring.

4) make sure you include I-94 history with 485.

5) Passport iD page with both 131 and 765.

6) you want to include 2 copies of photos with each form 130, 485, 131, and 765.

7) you can reduce paystubs of your spouse from 12 to 6 months.

😎 Definitely include birth certificate. Also when you say all pages of passport that should just be the ones with travel stamps and visas and not empty pages.

if you have any other questions let me know.

good luck!

1. Thanks!

2. Sure, I can grab some of these and print them - I have envelopes and letters/cards but she likely doesn't.

3. Co-mingled finances - well I do share expenses at home and this can be seen in monthly transfer from my account into hers. Do you think this won't be enough? Cars and the house are both in hers name.

4. Will do.

5. You mean just the front and back of passport? Current passport or both current and expired passports?

6. Can't I just send them in separate ziplock bags like (1) within I-130 packet TWO copies; (2) within I-485 packet SIX copies

7. Thanks, will do.

8. Birth certificate is included right now, and yes I included ALL pages of all passports for both of us. It's not that much more than the ones with visas and stamps.

Thank you!! I'll need it! 

2 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

You can send as is for now, but I944 requires equivalency. You can find one of the acceptable ones online. I excluded my high school from the education portion, since I have Teo masters degrees from here and then included ECE evaluations for my bachelors that o had done a few years ago.

Umm I still don't understand I'm afraid; sorry. Should I just not write about my foreign high school and bachelor's in I-944?

My masters degree is from the US, and I am doing another full-time masters degree right now (evenings/weekends) and working on full-time CPT. I have NOT included anything from this degree and just said that I will graduate in December 2020.

6 minutes ago, MerryMentor said:

Also, which online service would you recommend for this? Thanks.

1 minute ago, samdog said:

1. Thanks!

2. Sure, I can grab some of these and print them - I have envelopes and letters/cards but she likely doesn't.

3. Co-mingled finances - well I do share expenses at home and this can be seen in monthly transfer from my account into hers. Do you think this won't be enough? Cars and the house are both in hers name.

4. Will do.

5. You mean just the front and back of passport? Current passport or both current and expired passports?

6. Can't I just send them in separate ziplock bags like (1) within I-130 packet TWO copies; (2) within I-485 packet SIX copies

7. Thanks, will do.

8. Birth certificate is included right now, and yes I included ALL pages of all passports for both of us. It's not that much more than the ones with visas and stamps.

Thank you!! I'll need it! 

1) There is no right answer for how much proof is enough for commingled finances, but having a joint account is important, and filing taxes together. If you recently got married you can do those things now and have them ready in case they issue an RFE or at the time of interview. Yours don’t seem to be much proof, but again if you got married recently they understand that and you can start doing those things now. 
5) the part with your name, photo, address etc.

i would include expired passport as well in case it has any visas or travel stamps.

6) no put them into 4 ziplocks and organize with each form. I765, and 131 are processed separately than 485.

6 minutes ago, samdog said:

Umm I still don't understand I'm afraid; sorry. Should I just not write about my foreign high school and bachelor's in I-944?

My masters degree is from the US, and I am doing another full-time masters degree right now (evenings/weekends) and working on full-time CPT. I have NOT included anything from this degree and just said that I will graduate in December 2020.

You should include the degrees, but get the equivalency for them done for the interview or if they issue RFE for that. For now just submit the degree certificates and transcripts.

Edited by MerryMentor

Just now, MerryMentor said:

1) There is no right answer for how much proof is enough for commingled finances, but having a joint account is important, and filing taxes together. If you recently got married you can do those things now and have them ready in case they issue an RFE or at the time of interview. Yours don’t seem to be much proof, but again if you got married recently they understand that and you can start doing those things now. 
5) the part with your name, photo, address etc.

i would include expired passport as well in case it has any visas or travel stamps.

6) no put them into 4 ziplocks and organize with each form. I765, and 131 are processed separately than 485.

1. Yeah we only got married earlier this month. We haven't had the chance to open joint accounts and such, with almost all banks around us only operating via drive thru. We could open a joint account on one of those online banks, but we haven't done enough research about them so far.

5. Got it!

6. Thanks. Will make sure to attach photos in pairs of 2 to the forms using ziplocks and paper clips.

@MerryMentor Should we file separate G-1450s for the I-130 packet and I-485 packet? Or just one common G-1450 outside both packets along with G-1145? Also, any preference for credit card vs. check? We have listed credit card details in both right now.

Some page on simple citizen seems to suggest sending separate G-1450s for I-130 packet and I-485 packet. 

Edited by samdog

7 minutes ago, samdog said:

@MerryMentor Should we file separate G-1450s for the I-130 packet and I-485 packet? Or just one common G-1450 outside both packets along with G-1145? Also, any preference for credit card vs. check? We have listed credit card details in both right now.

Some page on simple citizen seems to suggest sending separate G-1450s for I-130 packet and I-485 packet. 

I like to go with Checks, one for 130 packet and one for 485. Also, That way you don’t need G-1450. And then include two G-1145s, with sponsors info on 1145 attached with i130 and beneficiaries info on the one attached to 485.

Even though we included two G-1145s only the beneficiary got texts and not the sponsor. So if they lose one you still have 50% chance of getting texts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.