Fr8dog

Oath ceremony scheduled.

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just want post a quick update. My oath ceremony was canceled on March 19 due to Covid-19 in Los Angeles.

I passed the citizenship interview on 1/13/20 and today I received a rescheduled oath ceremony date for 6/12/20 in Laguna Niguel, CA.

Looks like the office is opening back up and rescheduling oath ceremony. Good luck everyone. 

We got an email today too, saying the ceremony had been scheduled! I'm thrilled, but....the email says "No companions," which is sad...I so wanted to be there. :(  But I'll have to be content waving a flag from the parking lot! Still thrilled!

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

And than there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Unless the great common wealth of Virginia can come up with a new way to close this down, I'm expected to be at the USCIS field office on June 17th. Nobody else is allowed to join, not even interpreters (I guess they need to be on the phone).

Maybe just maybe this chapter is about to close.

From the uscis page on Facebook fyi

Wondering about your naturalization ceremony? You’ll receive notice from our field offices about your rescheduled ceremony. If you haven’t received notice about your ceremony within 90 days of offices reopening, contact us. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife was also scheduled for March 18 in Plano.  She received a text last week (Jun 3 I think) stating that action had been taken.  Logged in to the myuscis website and found that a new N-445 had been issued, with naturalization ceremony scheduled June 19 at the same Irving office where the interview was held. 

At first, it seemed that it would be only for her, bringing her own mask, black pen, and no guests.

We received another letter today, with a printout with additional instructions.

Key points:

- Arrive no earlier than 15 minutes

- Face covering required for all in attendance (so does this mean family can come in the car as long as they have face coverings?)

- USCIS directs you to park, tune in to FM radio station, and a cart is rolled near your car for document transfer

- Ceremony is only Oath of Allegiance (enclosed on back of paper)

- Oath administered through FM broadcast

- Naturalization Certificate placed on cart and instructed to retrieve by USCIS, if any problems raise hand.  If certificate is good, you can leave

My Questions:  

- They don't mention anything about registering to vote, social security cards, or passports, so I'm guessing we have to do this separately.  Does anyone know? 

- Can we come as a family since this is done in the car, or does my wife have to go in the car by herself?

- What is the age limit for which children are required to wear a mask?  Can our toddler be in the car with us as long as we have masks, but our kid doesn't?

If anyone knows and has resources, please let me know

Looks like it's scheduled for those who *already* had the appointments before, but cancelled due to corona virus, right?

Seems there are no fresh appointments for oath and interviews?

3 hours ago, bikepoet said:

My wife was also scheduled for March 18 in Plano.  She received a text last week (Jun 3 I think) stating that action had been taken.  Logged in to the myuscis website and found that a new N-445 had been issued, with naturalization ceremony scheduled June 19 at the same Irving office where the interview was held. 

At first, it seemed that it would be only for her, bringing her own mask, black pen, and no guests.

We received another letter today, with a printout with additional instructions.

Key points:

- Arrive no earlier than 15 minutes

- Face covering required for all in attendance (so does this mean family can come in the car as long as they have face coverings?)

- USCIS directs you to park, tune in to FM radio station, and a cart is rolled near your car for document transfer

- Ceremony is only Oath of Allegiance (enclosed on back of paper)

- Oath administered through FM broadcast

- Naturalization Certificate placed on cart and instructed to retrieve by USCIS, if any problems raise hand.  If certificate is good, you can leave

My Questions:  

- They don't mention anything about registering to vote, social security cards, or passports, so I'm guessing we have to do this separately.  Does anyone know? 

- Can we come as a family since this is done in the car, or does my wife have to go in the car by herself?

- What is the age limit for which children are required to wear a mask?  Can our toddler be in the car with us as long as we have masks, but our kid doesn't?

If anyone knows and has resources, please let me know

Registering to vote and SSN are always done separately (afaik the registering to vote that happens at some sites had been by volunteers, not government officials). Passport sounds like it needs to be done separately if your office is one that usually offers it. 

I would try check with the office but it sounds like it should be ok for you guys all to be in the car, masked.

Filed: Other Timeline
3 hours ago, BBlueB said:

Looks like it's scheduled for those who *already* had the appointments before, but cancelled due to corona virus, right?

Seems there are no fresh appointments for oath and interviews?

No I don’t think so ,I was appproved in May

And I'm done finally.

Had the oath this morning. Heads up for those waiting. If they all USCIS local office ceremonies are administrative only. If you need a judicial ceremony (name change) you will have to wait for the court system to start up again. (as per USCIS employee)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 6/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, Summan said:

Bikepoet I have a question for you ? Ur wife requested name change also or no ? That one will b administrative oath or judical oath ? Plz answer my question I m also waiting my oath ceremony but I requested name change also 

Susie - thanks for the info. 

Update:  My wife is a citizen!  I need to go back and update our timeline.

Summan - since the ceremony was an "in car" ceremony, seemed like most cars had at least 2 people in them and everyone I saw in cars was wearing masks, but I only saw front-seat adult passengers.  Our 3 year old didn't have one in the backseat, and they didn't say anything.  But both my wife and I had masks.  We rolled up to the entrance at 9:57am and there was only one other car in line, and apparently we were the last one.  We turned in the N-445 (filled out and signed in the city of the location of the ceremony) and green card (we could keep the electronic protection sleeve).  They handed some general information and a US flag.   As soon as we got into our parking spot #19 (Juneteenth?), they came over the loud speaker (didn't need to use FM radio) and did the oath.  They kicked off faster than our videographer was ready (me).  So, if you're doing in car, be sure to have that ready right at the start time.  After the oath, we applauded, honked horns, cheered.. and waited for them to bring the certificate of naturalization.  If everything was correct, we could leave, and it was, and we did.

We didn't do any name change requests, so I don't know how that went.  We did receive the application for voter registration and passport, so we'll get those started soon.  We'll also get the social security card stuff updated sometime, too.  Looks like this was the easiest part of the whole naturalization.

Now, I wonder how long passports are taking now.  A long time because nobody was working, or a short time because nobody is traveling?

Thanks to everyone in the VJ community, whether you're new or old, or whether you ask more questions or answer more questions, anything you do here is likely to help someone else out along their journey, and that truly is what it means to be American.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.