thestas

Work Visa Recommendation

11 posts in this topic

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some advice about the best way to immigrate to the US. My fiancé has taken a job and moved to NYC on a TN visa. We are both Canadian and I have British citizenship as well, I have an advanced degree in IT and was a senior member of staff for a large oil and gas company until last November. I have since opened my own business which is primarily operating out of the UK but we can easily expand into the US. 

My question is how can I get a work visa that is not tied to an employer? I was looking at either the E2 or the O category?

• For the E2, I have a profitable company and can invest 60k into the US, with a business plan and all the supporting documentation. 
  • For the O category, I have number of professional memberships and work with multiple international companies, mostly in Finance that would be happy to write recommendations. I have professional recommendations from various business leaders and insiders, if that helps at all. 

Any advice would be welcome,

Stas

Filed: Timeline
9 hours ago, thestas said:

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some advice about the best way to immigrate to the US. My fiancé has taken a job and moved to NYC on a TN visa. We are both Canadian and I have British citizenship as well, I have an advanced degree in IT and was a senior member of staff for a large oil and gas company until last November. I have since opened my own business which is primarily operating out of the UK but we can easily expand into the US. 

My question is how can I get a work visa that is not tied to an employer? I was looking at either the E2 or the O category?

• For the E2, I have a profitable company and can invest 60k into the US, with a business plan and all the supporting documentation. 
  • For the O category, I have number of professional memberships and work with multiple international companies, mostly in Finance that would be happy to write recommendations. I have professional recommendations from various business leaders and insiders, if that helps at all. 

Any advice would be welcome,

Stas

The governing treaty between the US and UK that covers treaty trader/investor visas requires that the applicant not only be a national of the country but also a resident in the country.  That is, you not only have to be a national/citizen of the UK, but also resident there (the UK).  From your post, I assume you are living in Canada.  If so, you could not qualify for an E2 treaty investor visa.    (If you are living in the UK, ignore this paragraph!)

Not to be discouraging, but I think an O visa is unlikely.  It takes more than letters of recommendation .  You have to demonstrate that you have extraordinary ability and/or achievements in your field through sustained national or international acclaim.  It is usually not issued for self-employment; you need a sponsor.  There needs to be an employer or at least a managing agent.

You could get married and enter the US on a TD visa (dependent of a TN visa holder), but TDs vIsa holders are not authorised to work in the US.

Edited by jan22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why not your own TN visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Maybe you can try the EB2-NIW avenue. It's self-sponsored but requires that you demonstrate that your work and the field of work are in national interest. 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would look into e2 to make sure it's not appropriate.  O1a does require an employer (or more than one). O1b (artist visa) does not, but requires an agent 

Edited by fs2439

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/28/2020 at 9:34 PM, randomstairs said:

Maybe you can try the EB2-NIW avenue. It's self-sponsored but requires that you demonstrate that your work and the field of work are in national interest. 

Yes, this is a good avenue

8 hours ago, fs2439 said:

I would look into e2 to make sure it's not appropriate.  O1a does require an employer (or more than one). O1b (artist visa) does not, but requires an agent 

I had originally said it would not qualify for an E2 visa because the OP was not resident in the UK.  Have thought about this since -- and, it's true that a British national operating a British company needs to be not only a citizen of but also domiciled in the UK to qualify for an E2 visa. 

I realized, however, that I made an assumption because the OP said the company was operating primarily in  the UK.  Key question -- where is the company registered/incorporated/headquartered?  If the answer to that is the comoany is legally a Canadian company merely doing business in the UK, you can apply based on your Canadian citizenship if you make the proper investment in the US before you apply for the E2 .  Sorry I didn't ask this question earlier.

Edited by jan22

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@jan22 thank you for the clarification. I am UK based and the company is registered in the UK. I was just assuming that having a Canadian passport would be easier to get the E2 visa but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I was initially thinking of E2 but it looks like EB2-NIW might be a good avenue to also look into. 

Stas

1 hour ago, thestas said:

@jan22 thank you for the clarification. I am UK based and the company is registered in the UK. I was just assuming that having a Canadian passport would be easier to get the E2 visa but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I was initially thinking of E2 but it looks like EB2-NIW might be a good avenue to also look into. 

Stas

Ah, so both you and company are in the UK -- sorry i misunderstood your original post.  If you're living in the UK, have made a substantial investment (by the time of your visa application) in a/your US company, and you can show it will provide a more-than-marginal income, the E2 would be much faster and easier to obtain (once the Embassy re-opens for non-immigrant visa applications, of course).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just to quickly mention the investment could be held in ESCROW if purchasing an existing business/property subject to issuance of the visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.