RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jessica & Karl said:

We are closely following this thread.  We are booked for 15 days in Mexico (September 5th). Jessica (USC) is joining me there then we are both flying to the US together and are looking to visit until the New Year.  Totally writing off 2020.  I don't really expect the K1 processing to start again so soon.  I have a B1/B2 visa but I am slightly worried as I accidentally overstayed by 1 day last year. Was in the US from the 26th June till 26th December thinking this was 6 months, but this it was actually 6 months and 1 day.  Our lawyer says it shouldn't be an issue as my previous record was always good,  but as Boiler mentions above I won't cut it so close next time.

This I find extremely disturbing, basic stuff.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

This I find extremely disturbing, basic stuff.

To be honest, when we asked it was in relation to the effect of the overstay on the K1 visa not the B2.  So I assume I have got my wires crossed.  Lots of lessons learned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Hi, my fiancee plans to visit here next month using her valid ESTA, so I am checking to see if anyone has advice as to what info to volunteer or not volunteer at the airport here. Answers will always be truthful, just trying to see what is generally better to not blurt out unless asked. We have a K1 NOA2 with case sitting at NVC, however on paper the NOA2 will be slightly expired. For example:

- Purpose of visit: Is boyfriend better than fiancee? Is "I have an approved K1 petition" helpful in any way or keep that to herself unless asked? From our standpoint, why would she overstay and ruin her K1? From their standpoint, K1s are not being processed, maybe she is trying to stay. 

- Length of stay: we want to have the full 90 days (or 87-88 just in case) but is this viewed as not having strong ties to job etc back home? She does have a job and can work from here, but that's not allowed, so how should she word this? Is saying she has a leave of absence better? Is a letter from work helpful?

Anything else that's useful to say or not say would be appreciated. She's been here twice on ESTA but times were different (last time 6 months ago). There is nothing to hide, she is truly coming for an under 90 day visit. I am just trying to prepare her as best as I can. 

Should she print her NOA2 or anything else?

She will spend 2 weeks in Croatia and travel via Istanbul. 

Thank you in advance. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

Why? I thought she was residing in Russia. Has she been inside a Schengen Area country in the last 2 weeks?

Yes she had to visit family in native Lithuania and she is leaving from there. We also transfered our K1 case from Moscow to Vilnius at NVC

1 hour ago, Asterix78 said:

days (or 87-88 just in case)

What date is her return ticket on? See 8 CFR 217.2(c)(1): "Applicants arriving by air and sea. Applicants must arrive on a carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination."

Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

What date is her return ticket on? See 8 CFR 217.2(c)(1): "Applicants arriving by air and sea. Applicants must arrive on a carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination."

We haven't booked anything yet. I want her to spend Thanksgiving here, so that would put her arrival here on, say Sept 5, and give her plenty to room left to leave right after Thanksgiving. We are flexible with this entire trip. Of course if embassies start to process K1s again, she will leave sooner. 

I am not sure I completely understand the passage you posted, esp the part about the "carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement". Anything I need to worry about there?

7 minutes ago, Asterix78 said:

I am not sure I completely understand the passage you posted, esp the part about the "carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement". Anything I need to worry about there?

The relevant part is "and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place..." CBP officers don't always request proof of return or onward international travel but if they do request it and she doesn't have proof readily available that is enough reason to deny entry.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

The relevant part is "and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place..." CBP officers don't always ask for proof of return or onward international travel but if they do and she doesn't have proof that is enough reason to deny entry.

She will absolutely have a return ticket for, say, 87 days from then. Things like this are understood, I thought :) So my main thing is the dialogue and what to say or not say unless prompted. She will have all the papers you can think of. 

1 minute ago, Asterix78 said:

Things like this are understood, I thought :) So my main thing is the dialogue and what to say or not say unless prompted. She will have all the papers you can think of. 

I was just making sure. A different user in this thread wasn't aware of that requirement for VWP travelers until we informed her:

Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

I was just making sure. A different user in this thread wasn't aware of that requirement for VWP travelers until we informed her:

Yep I saw that.

She plans to have the return ticket, printed NOA2, printed ESTA, last I-94 showing she left on time, proof of health insurance, letter from work that she is employed or something to that affect, and printed proclamations showing that Croatia is not on the banned list. Also proof that she's been in Croatia for 14+ days and traveled via Istanbul. Maybe too much but better safe than sorry. 

2 minutes ago, Asterix78 said:

She plans to have the return ticket, printed NOA2, printed ESTA, last I-94 showing she left on time, proof of health insurance, letter from work that she is employed or something to that affect, and printed proclamations showing that Croatia is not on the banned list. Also proof that she's been in Croatia for 14+ days and traveled via Istanbul. Maybe too much but better safe than sorry. 

That looks good.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, Asterix78 said:

She will absolutely have a return ticket for, say, 87 days from then. Things like this are understood, I thought :) So my main thing is the dialogue and what to say or not say unless prompted. She will have all the papers you can think of. 

It sounds like you’re in great shape but I’d highly recommend you check out our Facebook group  “Love Is Not Tourism” and post your question there. We’re almost 8,000 members strong and you’ll get a ton of good information - many people are traveling and doing the third country route. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/314772869924351

Timeline
44 minutes ago, jvette said:

It sounds like you’re in great shape but I’d highly recommend you check out our Facebook group  “Love Is Not Tourism” and post your question there. We’re almost 8,000 members strong and you’ll get a ton of good information - many people are traveling and doing the third country route. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/314772869924351

Thank you, I'll join FB just for this :) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Little worried how long we'll be able to do this after reading this: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53740840. Perhaps even trying to bar US citizens abroad from returning.  We are leaving on Sunday from Mexico and eager to get into the US before we get more bad luck.

Edited by remotercharm

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.