TBoneTX

A Party of Haters

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

It's a disgrace that you think scientists legitimately warning people about climate change is a leftist issue. 

Science isn't the business of "warning people", also known as alarmism. That's for religion, which as we can see, the non-religious aren't beyond. They clearly understand though what gets them their way, hence why there's no institution off limits to hijacking for political/economic purposes. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

59 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Climate change is a scientific issue and it's a shame it's turned into a political one. The only points we should be listening to are the points the experts make. No one else. 

Actually, I guess ExxonMobil disinformation campaign worked. They know about climate change but since awareness of it interferes with their profits, they have been spreading disinformation for decades. Climate change denial  exists thanks to them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/23/exxon-climate-change-fossil-fuels-disinformation

The fossil fuel industry has known about the role of its products in global warming for 60 years. Exxon’s own scientists warned their managers 40 years ago of “potentially catastrophic events”. Yet rather than alerting the public or taking action, these companies have spent the past few decades pouring millions of dollars into disinformation campaigns designed to delay action. All the while, the science is clear that climate-catalyzed damages have worsened, storms have intensified, and droughts and heatwaves have become more frequent and severe, while forests have been damaged and wildfires have burned through the country.

By polluting the information landscape, these companies misrepresented the safety of their product and denied the public their right to be accurately informed.

Big oil is not the only industry to do so. Big tobacco is a famous case, but asbestos and lead industries have done it too. These days, campaigns by soda companies to contest sugar science and by the NFL to distort the science on concussions use similar tactics. The campaigns all run a similar playbook: they cite fake experts, place impossible demands on the science, cherry-pick data, impugn the integrity of individual scientists and the scientific process, and appeal to conspiracy theories. They leave the public with the perpetual impression that there are lots of unresolved questions, and that scientists are not to be trusted.

You are right, its a shame it is a political agenda instead of a calm rational debate about bettering our environment 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's a disgrace that you think scientists legitimately warning people about climate change is a leftist issue. 

it's also a disgrace that scientists used it to further their own agenda and line their pockets.
i highly recommend reading the below. 

7622411._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I think we will see a change in the political landscape because of this.  It's much easier to push a liberal agenda based on Covid-19 vs. global warming.  The Corona problem is real today and not a future prediction.  Only progressive control over out lives will solve the problem. If we don't give Nancy Pelosi what she wants, the world will end in 10 months, vs. the 10 years global warming will take.

10 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

it's also a disgrace that scientists used it to further their own agenda and line their pockets.

Coincidentally, the things that made science and even liberal advancement, positive for humanity, all vanished on the climate issue. 

Byebye need for proof, competing views, challenges, debate, freedom, etc., hello appeal to authority, argument ad populum, censorship, social ostracizing, and all sorts of coercive, authoritarian efforts to shut things out/down (barring people from discourse, barring people from submitting competing evidence, etc.), in the name of "science". 

But you know, religion bad. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

17 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Coincidentally, the things that made science and even liberal advancement, positive for humanity, all vanished on the climate issue. 

Byebye need for proof, competing views, challenges, debate, freedom, etc., hello appeal to authority, argument ad populum, censorship, social ostracizing, and all sorts of coercive, authoritarian efforts to shut things out/down (barring people from discourse, barring people from submitting competing evidence, etc.), in the name of "science". 

But you know, religion bad. 

Isnt New York under water by now? 

Filed: Timeline

I think "scientists" and "experts" as well as some politicians are using the topic to make money, and try to impose taxes on people.

I'm not a scientist, and I am not an expert on the climate.  But I can read, understand data, and comprehend that the earth does what it must to maintain balance.  It is a living, breathing ecosphere.  I also know it has been warming and cooling since LONG before man came along, and even though we can use "science" to approximate conditions a million years ago, many theories and hypothesis have turned out to be wrong just in my lifetime.  The earth will do what it needs to maintain balance, unless someone pokes a hole in the stratosphere and we all get sucked out into oblivion.

4 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I thought it was California. I remember in the late 80s/early 90s us being terrified of being underwater by the millennium. 

And Miami.  I was looking forward to buying one of those underwater condos for a great price.  Would have been awesome to look out the front window and watch sharks and barracudas swimming by.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think "scientists" and "experts" as well as some politicians are using the topic to make money, and try to impose taxes on people.

I'm not a scientist, and I am not an expert on the climate.  But I can read, understand data, and comprehend that the earth does what it must to maintain balance.  It is a living, breathing ecosphere.  I also know it has been warming and cooling since LONG before man came along, and even though we can use "science" to approximate conditions a million years ago, many theories and hypothesis have turned out to be wrong just in my lifetime.  The earth will do what it needs to maintain balance, unless someone pokes a hole in the stratosphere and we all get sucked out into oblivion.

Al Gore got rich from book deals and Carbon offsets. 

One of my favorite alarmist headlines was.

" Warmest its been since the middle ages" 

Obviously anyone should be able to see the whole in that argument 

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Al Gore got rich from book deals and Carbon offsets. 

One of my favorite alarmist headlines was.

" Warmest its been since the middle ages" 

Obviously anyone should be able to see the whole in that argument 

I think at least a few people saw the hole, as well.  😇

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think at least a few people saw the hole, as well.  😇

How do you know i didnt mean the whole argument? 

27 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'm not a scientist, and I am not an expert on the climate.  

That's obvious. 

1 hour ago, Ban Hammer said:

Yes, those greedy scientists. They're only after the big dollar. It's not like Big Oil even cares about money.