Ksenia_O

N-400 while in NAVY bootcamp

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, guys.

Hope all of you are safe and well!

My son just joined US NAVY. Arrival to bootcamp is April, 30. Well, if nothing delayed due to Corona... 

Anyway, 

In June of this year he will be eligible to apply for citizenship. So, he can submit his N-400 once he gets off the bootcamp. Or even if he is still in .  And that's what he would like to do - to file once "window opens"

From what I have read -  seems like you have to be in Military up to 180 days before applying. Unless I misunderstood something... And have to get some Form , to attach to your N-400 application .

So the questions are:

1. Does he still have to wait those 180 days? 

2. If not - will he still need the Form and would it be provided to him during the basic training? 

3. Will his N-400 fee still be waived?

Just trying to figure out things before he leaves.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Hello, guys.

My son just joined US NAVY. Arrival to bootcamp is April, 30. Well, if nothing delayed due to Corona... 

Anyway, 

In June of this year he will be eligible to apply for citizenship. So, he can submit his N-400 once he gets off the bootcamp. Or even if he is still in .  And that's what he would like to do - to file once "window opens"

From what I have read -  seems like you have to be in Military up to 180 days before applying. Unless I misunderstood something... And have to get some Form , to attach to your N-400 application .

So the questions are:

2. If not - will he still need the Form and would it be provided to him during the basic training? 

Based on what you explained above, your son has 2 options of applying for citizenship, he can apply through the civilian route (Which he will be eligible by June) or through the military. And as you correctly stated, he can’t apply through the military until he has served up to 180 days on active duty. Different between both options is- To apply as soon as he becomes eligible in June, he has to pay a filing fee and apply as a regular civilian even though he might be serving in the military. To apply through the military, he has to file a form N426 (Certification of military service), which will confirm that he has served up to 180 days on active duty, alongside form N400 and he doesn’t pay a filing fee. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ashmed246 said:

Based on what you explained above, your son has 2 options of applying for citizenship, he can apply through the civilian route (Which he will be eligible by June) or through the military. And as you correctly stated, he can’t apply through the military until he has served up to 180 days on active duty. Different between both options is- To apply as soon as he becomes eligible in June, he has to pay a filing fee and apply as a regular civilian even though he might be serving in the military. To apply through the military, he has to file a form N426 (Certification of military service), which will confirm that he has served up to 180 days on active duty, alongside form N400 and he doesn’t pay a filing fee. 

You've explained it so well - thank you very much! ...Really appreciate it!

So, if he goes a "civilian" route .. How does this work  for biometric and other appointments (test, Ceremony)?  What if he is away?..

Also, applying as "civilian", should he use his current home address or Great Lakes (bootcamp location?)

Which one would be his "local" USCIS Office" ?- since its unknown (for now at least) where he will be stationed after school graduation...  

Sorry, guys,  for so many questions..  Really confused  - It just looks like it could be a very "interesting" and messy journey if go with  "civilian" option...

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

You've explained it so well - thank you very much! ...Really appreciate it!

So, if he goes a "civilian" route .. How does this work  for biometric and other appointments (test, Ceremony)?  What if he is away?..

Also, applying as "civilian", should he use his current home address or Great Lakes (bootcamp location?)

Which one would be his "local" USCIS Office" ?- since its unknown (for now at least) where he will be stationed after school graduation...  

Sorry, guys,  for so many questions..  Really confused  - It just looks like it could be a very "interesting" and messy journey if go with  "civilian" option...

He won’t be able to attend biometric or any uscis ceremony while at boot camp. I’m not sure about navy boot camp but there used to be a time when uscis had local offices in US Army basic training locations. I submitted my N400 and N426 as soon as we got to basic training, drill sergeants took us to our biometrics and interviews and we got naturalized on family day right before we left basic training. This was when you only needed one day of active duty to be eligible for naturalization. With that being said, I’ll advice he graduates boot camp and arrive at his first duty station before applying. That way, his file will sent to a local uscis office close to his address. 

Timeline
Just now, ashmed246 said:

He won’t be able to attend biometric or any uscis ceremony while at boot camp. I’m not sure about navy boot camp but there used to be a time when uscis had local offices in US Army basic training locations. I submitted my N400 and N426 as soon as we got to basic training, drill sergeants took us to our biometrics and interviews and we got naturalized on family day right before we left basic training. This was when you only needed one day of active duty to be eligible for naturalization. With that being said, I’ll advice he graduates boot camp and arrive at his first duty station before applying. That way, his file will sent to a local uscis office close to his address. 

Makes sense..... So, I guess, it would be really wise to wait and apply AFTER bootcamp or even after school graduation since boot camp is in IL, school will be in Pensacola, but possible station (was mentioned at MEPS) could  be  in VA or CA.... 

At the same time, applying after school makes it very close to those  180 days as well - 10 weeks of bootcamp (2 weeks of quarantine required now) plus 13 weeks of school....

Thanks again- you were very very  helpful!! 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Makes sense..... So, I guess, it would be really wise to wait and apply AFTER bootcamp or even after school graduation since boot camp is in IL, school will be in Pensacola, but possible station (was mentioned at MEPS) could  be  in VA or CA.... 

At the same time, applying after school makes it very close to those  180 days as well - 10 weeks of bootcamp (2 weeks of quarantine required now) plus 13 weeks of school....

Thanks again- you were very very  helpful!! 

You’re very welcome. He’ll already be 25 weeks on active duty by the time he is done with school, if it was me, I’d wait to clock 180 days Time in Service and apply based on military service, plus it’ll save me that filing fee..lol. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ashmed246 said:

You’re very welcome. He’ll already be 25 weeks on active duty by the time he is done with school, if it was me, I’d wait to clock 180 days Time in Service and apply based on military service, plus it’ll save me that filing fee..lol. 

Looks like this is going to be more wise and  proper course of action :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The knowledge and helpfulness of the people in this forum are unsurpassed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline

Military Personnel and Veterans Can Now File Their Form N-400, Naturalization Application, Online

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/military-personnel-and-veterans-can-now-file-their-form-n-400-naturalization-application-online

On 4/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, Ksenia_O said:

Hello, guys.

Anyway, 

So the questions are:

Military Personnel and Veterans Can Now File Their Form N-400, Naturalization Application, Online

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/military-personnel-and-veterans-can-now-file-their-form-n-400-naturalization-application-online

Timeline
2 hours ago, malajoe said:

Good to know - thanks!!! I filed my N-400 online and can definitely see all advantages of online filing - way better and easier than paper filing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.