Marie9

Need help with Financial Documents for NVC case - Tax Return 2019? Or 2018?

10 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm new in the community. Found the forum on google while searching for a question that is tormenting me:

What tax documents should I use for the Affidavit of Support that I have to send to NVC?

This is my situation:

I have my 2016, 2017 and 2018 Tax Tanscripts, as the NVC strongly recommends.

In 2016 and 2017 I made way above the minimum needed average income. however in 2018 I made only around 9.000, because I lived that whole year in my husbands country, where I did not get employed either.

What I do have for 2019 are the W-2 forms from my employers and a letter from my latest employer stating how much I make, which again, is way more than the minimum level.

My concern is:

-> Should file the 2019 taxes, even tho this are not due yet as the deadline was moved to july, and use 2019 as my Most Recent tax year in the i-864 Form? taking into account I should send the NVC the full tax return instead the transcript as I wont have the transcript available for some time until they publish it online after filing

OR

-> Should I file the I-864 using 2018 (the year I made only 9.000 dollars according to my transcript), as my most recent tax year, and along with the 2016,17 and 2018 tax transcripts, upload to NVC the W-2 forms I have from 2019 (which again are more than the mimum 125% wage), along with an explanation/letter of why I made only 9.000 in 2018 (living abroad almost the whole year).

Has anyone experienced a situation like this in the past?

My intuition says I should go wit the second option, as 2019 tax year is not due yet. What do you guys think?

55 minutes ago, Marie9 said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new in the community. Found the forum on google while searching for a question that is tormenting me:

What tax documents should I use for the Affidavit of Support that I have to send to NVC?

This is my situation:

I have my 2016, 2017 and 2018 Tax Tanscripts, as the NVC strongly recommends.

In 2016 and 2017 I made way above the minimum needed average income. however in 2018 I made only around 9.000, because I lived that whole year in my husbands country, where I did not get employed either.

What I do have for 2019 are the W-2 forms from my employers and a letter from my latest employer stating how much I make, which again, is way more than the minimum level.

My concern is:

-> Should file the 2019 taxes, even tho this are not due yet as the deadline was moved to july, and use 2019 as my Most Recent tax year in the i-864 Form? taking into account I should send the NVC the full tax return instead the transcript as I wont have the transcript available for some time until they publish it online after filing

OR

-> Should I file the I-864 using 2018 (the year I made only 9.000 dollars according to my transcript), as my most recent tax year, and along with the 2016,17 and 2018 tax transcripts, upload to NVC the W-2 forms I have from 2019 (which again are more than the mimum 125% wage), along with an explanation/letter of why I made only 9.000 in 2018 (living abroad almost the whole year).

Has anyone experienced a situation like this in the past?

My intuition says I should go wit the second option, as 2019 tax year is not due yet. What do you guys think?

Your only required to submit last FY... but can add more if you like... so if2018 you can by rights send 1044 and w2 from 2019 with recent pay stubs

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Current income is what counts, taxes are a separate issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

Your only required to submit last FY... but can add more if you like... so if2018 you can by rights send 1044 and w2 from 2019 with recent pay stubs

Mixing two issues.  Pay stubs are about current income.  W2's from 2019 are about the past.

My advice is file the 2019 tax return.  Provide the income numbers from 17 through 19 in the tax section.  State current income based on a full year at current gross pay.  That's what the pay stub is for, to document current income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

14 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Mixing two issues.  Pay stubs are about current income.  W2's from 2019 are about the past.

My advice is file the 2019 tax return.  Provide the income numbers from 17 through 19 in the tax section.  State current income based on a full year at current gross pay.  That's what the pay stub is for, to document current income.

Thanks @pushbrk ! 

Should I file the 2019 Tax Return and send that to the NVC or wait (according to IRS, 6 weeks) for my Tax Transcript to become available online and then submit that?

What are the odds that Ill get an RFE for sending the tax return instead of my tax transcript for 2019?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Marie9 said:

Thanks @pushbrk ! 

Should I file the 2019 Tax Return and send that to the NVC or wait (according to IRS, 6 weeks) for my Tax Transcript to become available online and then submit that?

What are the odds that Ill get an RFE for sending the tax return instead of my tax transcript for 2019?

Send a complete copy of the tax return including W2 and 1099 forms.  Tax Return Transcript taken to the interview.  Odds don't matter.  They'll do what they'll do but no reason to wait.  They don't demand things they only "strongly suggest".  It's the Consular Officer who makes the real decision.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 3/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, pushbrk said:

Send a complete copy of the tax return including W2 and 1099 forms.  Tax Return Transcript taken to the interview.  Odds don't matter.  They'll do what they'll do but no reason to wait.  They don't demand things they only "strongly suggest".  It's the Consular Officer who makes the real decision.

We are in the same situation, but we decided to wait till my wife will be in US to file as we don't want to send her travel passport to IRS while processing the case in NVC, or go to the acceptance agent and show them her passport, so it will be in our possession all the time. 

I'm going to provide income for 2018,2018 and 2017. Task transcripts for 2018 and 2017, W2s and the current letter of employment. I'm going to add the 2019 1040 with a comment that it is a draft and was not filed to IRS yet. Is this acceptable? 

Edited by ViktorS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They will not be interested in a draft.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, ViktorS said:

We are in the same situation, but we decided to wait till my wife will be in US to file as we don't want to send her travel passport to IRS while processing the case in NVC, or go to the acceptance agent and show them her passport, so it will be in our possession all the time. 

I'm going to provide income for 2018,2018 and 2017. Task transcripts for 2018 and 2017, W2s and the current letter of employment. I'm going to add the 2019 1040 with a comment that it is a draft and was not filed to IRS yet. Is this acceptable? 

A draft is not evidence of anything.  Send the return or a tax return transcript.  You are in an immigration process that requires tax returns be filed.  Don't  delay filing them.  You can always file amended returns later.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

A draft is not evidence of anything.  Send the return or a tax return transcript.  You are in an immigration process that requires tax returns be filed.  Don't  delay filing them.  You can always file amended returns later.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.