zafi

passport services (merged)

36 posts in this topic

It depends on when you apply. If you apply before March 20 or not.

See the following guidance -

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html

Change in Passport Services Operations                              

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:

• passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary)

To make an appointment at a passport agency or center for a life-or-death emergency, you must call our National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) on Monday- Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays or on Saturdays, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time. Call 202-647-4000 outside of these hours to make an appointment. 

If you applied and requested expedited service on or before March 19, 2020, we will honor our commitment of 2-3 weeks door-to-door for expedited service. If you applied in-person at a passport agency or center on or before March 19, 2020, the passport agency or center will contact you and ask if you want to pick-up your passport in person or have it mailed to you.

Customers in Puerto Rico should be aware that our San Juan Passport Agency is closed to the public until at least March 30, 2020. 

Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, some passport application acceptance facilities, which include libraries, clerks of court, and post offices may not be accepting U.S. passport applications at this time. If you need to apply in person for your U.S. passport, please contact the facility directly to confirm if they are accepting applications. 

If you are applying for or renewing a U.S. passport on or after March 20, 2020, we will not offer expedited service and routine service may be delayed. 

The status of our operations may change quickly. We will update this notice as the status changes. 

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Short story is now it's a big mess...like everything else!

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

4/2019: Submitted N400

5/2019: Biometrics (3 weeks)

2/2020: Interview (10 months)

3/2020: Oath & naturalization (11 months)

6/2020: Passport received (3 months)

Officially a U.S. Citizen! 

I applied a few months ago, routine, and it came in 4 weeks despite the 6-8 weeks timeline...so even if it’s delayed now you may still get it within say 8 weeks? The bigger problem might be finding someone willing to do the in-person appointment you need for a first time application. 

25 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I applied a few months ago, routine, and it came in 4 weeks despite the 6-8 weeks timeline...so even if it’s delayed now you may still get it within say 8 weeks? The bigger problem might be finding someone willing to do the in-person appointment you need for a first time application. 

I have an appointment at the post office tomorrow - let's see if it happens! 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Good luck, keep us posted.

The appointment at the post office was fine in regards to them being able to provide the in-person etc.

But I am pretty sure the PHOTO taken by the post-office is going to be rejected. It just didn't seem of a sufficiently good standard. I did comment that I was concerned about the background - to my eye it had some bluish tinge in parts but the representative said it was fine and I thought, well, she should know more than me? But I won't be surprised if I get a letter asking me to provide a new photo which will likely add another 2-3 weeks to the process! :( 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Yes, I applied for one today. But for now there is no expedited option (2-3 weeks) and they said that it will take 6-8 weeks (or more.

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

3 hours ago, zafi said:

thanks fortunately I am not in any kind of  hurry right now

I was....had to cancel everything

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

I submitted my passport application with supporting documents in post office today and surprisingly they did not give me any tracking number nor they putted my documents in any envelope when I asked them why cannot I get tracking number then their answer was that because we send all applications together I mean they did stapled my application but they did not put it any envelope nor did they gave me any tracking number I was surprised I was hoping to get tracking number is that what happened with you as well when you went to submit your application

1 hour ago, zafi said:

I submitted my passport application with supporting documents in post office today and surprisingly they did not give me any tracking number nor they putted my documents in any envelope when I asked them why cannot I get tracking number then their answer was that because we send all applications together I mean they did stapled my application but they did not put it any envelope nor did they gave me any tracking number I was surprised I was hoping to get tracking number is that what happened with you as well when you went to submit your application

That's how it was for me - I think that's the normal process.

I think it takes a while for it to reach the Dept of State...but once it does, you can track it here:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Will be asked for name/DOB/SS#. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

54 minutes ago, zafi said:

thanks best of luck

Thanks! I didn't like the pic that the post office took...but we shall see if it's accepted. 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.