ren11234

Need some advice

5 posts in this topic

I am an American and have been dating a Turkish girl for almost 5 years. We met when she came over here on a J1 student work and travel visa. We spent every summer together while we were in college (i would go to turkey). She just graduated and is working full time at an American based company over in Ankara. I'm in my last semester and am interviewing for jobs myself. College days are over and we dont have Summers off anymore. I'm visiting her during her yearly two weeks off to propose to her this summer. Without much research our plan was to get married immediately (just sign the papers, no wedding yet) and start the spousal visa process. In the mean time I would go back home to the states and get a job, start working and get an apartment. Once I'm on my feet I head back over and we have the actual wedding, so in a perfect world we could fly back to the States together right after. I don't think it will be that easy and am looking for any advice on how to best handle this situation and get her over here within a couple years. Thanks so much everyone.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
12 minutes ago, ren11234 said:

I am an American and have been dating a Turkish girl for almost 5 years. We met when she came over here on a J1 student work and travel visa. We spent every summer together while we were in college (i would go to turkey). She just graduated and is working full time at an American based company over in Ankara. I'm in my last semester and am interviewing for jobs myself. College days are over and we dont have Summers off anymore. I'm visiting her during her yearly two weeks off to propose to her this summer. Without much research our plan was to get married immediately (just sign the papers, no wedding yet) and start the spousal visa process. In the mean time I would go back home to the states and get a job, start working and get an apartment. Once I'm on my feet I head back over and we have the actual wedding, so in a perfect world we could fly back to the States together right after. I don't think it will be that easy and am looking for any advice on how to best handle this situation and get her over here within a couple years. Thanks so much everyone.

The framework sounds great - find out what you need to get married in Turkey, and make sure to get enough certified copies (and translations) of the marriage certificate before you return to the US and file the I-130 petition :)

As for the end timeline of things... Immigration is a waiting game and it can take from 12-18 months for her visa to get approved, so you might not know exactly when that will be (or even close to exactly).

Since you have time, and came to the right place, keep reading the guides and peoples experiences and you will gain enough knowledge to file properly for a hopefully smooth process.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well nothing you have mentioned raises any issues with me.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you time that "wedding" trip for after she has the visa in hand, she can come back with you.  12 to 18 months to get that visa though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello Everything sounds good!! 😍😍 I married in Turkey last year it took 3 days for get everything ready was super easy! If she is from turkey then not worries because she knows the language 😅 we was lost just because of this🤭 if you are American you will need your passport birth certificate and police clearance everything with translation when you go to beladias to get married they will give you a list of what you need to do and the hospital that you need to go for the blood test you will have that ready the same day when you return with all the papers you just need to pay the fee and pick a day for the ceremony ❤️🥰 and they will give you the book the same day! When you return to USA bring the book with you for you I-130 and not translation needed  just make sure you have makes a good copy of the front page that is the translation of the whole book my I-130 took 12 months to get approved and our case was sent to nvc now we still waiting 😪 Good luck with everything ❤️ And dont give up never!!!!

Edited by Hedjilay2731

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.