NDG

When/where to change lastname?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I just married my US Citizen spouse.  I want to take his lastname.  Social Security Administration  told me to go to DMV. DMV told me to change it when I apply for Adjustment of Status with USCIS. However, I do not see a change of name form or section on I485. Does anyone know how I can change my lastname?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you complete the form, just enter your married name.  You will be issued your EAD/AP and Greencard all with your married name.  Then all the state and federal services will acknowledge the name change and re-issue as needed.

Timeline
10 hours ago, aratamorne said:

When you complete the form, just enter your married name.  You will be issued your EAD/AP and Greencard all with your married name.  Then all the state and federal services will acknowledge the name change and re-issue as needed.

Thank you ! We were thinking that but weren't really sure.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, aratamorne said:

Exactly as stated here, my wife got her Social Security Card within the 90 days for K-1, but she got it in maiden name, we filed the I-485 in her married name, after the EAD/AP arrived we went back and got the Social Security Card changed to married name.  Once you get the EAD/AP/Green Card in you can go around and start making all the changes to everything into last name.  

Timeline
On 3/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, Kerri and Myles said:

Exactly as stated here, my wife got her Social Security Card within the 90 days for K-1, but she got it in maiden name, we filed the I-485 in her married name, after the EAD/AP arrived we went back and got the Social Security Card changed to married name.  Once you get the EAD/AP/Green Card in you can go around and start making all the changes to everything into last name.  

Thank you for response :)

I started using my married name the moment we walked out of the court room with a marriage certificate on hand :D

I didn't change name on my driver's license yet though since it's not expiring until August this year.

However, my SSN's already on my married name.

EAD and Greencard are using my married name.

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.