Sanctus1

N400 (Filing Citizenship)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Guys :

I have few questions on filing n400. I have a pending i751 with WAC receipt number which is a year and a month now. My questions are; is it better to file n400 online or by mailing application form filled.

The last question is what are the documents to submit when filing n400. Thanks all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Sanctus1 said:

Hi Guys :

I have few questions on filing n400. I have a pending i751 with WAC receipt number which is a year and a month now. My questions are; is it better to file n400 online or by mailing application form filled.

The last question is what are the documents to submit when filing n400. Thanks all.

Online if easier. It's your preference. The i-751 comes with instructions and will let you know what is needed. If you apply online it tell you specifically what documents to upload. You can create an account and go through to see what is needed as you can save and submit at a later date. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Timeline
1 hour ago, Thegirl said:

Online if easier. It's your preference. The i-751 comes with instructions and will let you know what is needed. If you apply online it tell you specifically what documents to upload. You can create an account and go through to see what is needed as you can save and submit at a later date. 

ThanksThegirl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Sanctus1 said:

Hi Guys :

I agree, online is easier, but it is really up to you.  Some folks believe online filing speeds things up, but in that case, YMMV.

As to the required documents for the N400, they are much less than that for the I485 or I751 (see below).  There is also a list of documents to assemble and bring to the interview, some folks include those in the original submission which is fairly easy if filing online.  In our case, my wife filed via mail and included only the required evidence that applied to us.  She took everything else to the interview, but the IO was uninterested in it probably because they had the inch thick I751 package on their desk as well.

Good Luck!

Required Evidence
Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.
1. Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken
recently. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and
be unmounted and unretouched. Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”. The photos must be in color with full face,
frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom
of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare, unless contrary to
your religious beliefs. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the
photo.
2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent
Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551,
attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90,
Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. Provide a photocopy of your current marriage
certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse.
4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:
A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S.
Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an
uncertified Form N-426.

B. Evidence of Military Service. If you ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a Certificate of Release or
Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, for all periods of service. If you are currently serving in an active
duty status within the United States or abroad, you should submit a photocopy of your official military orders.
C. Spouses of Military Personnel have additional requirements. Refer to Naturalization Information for Military
Personnel (M-599) for eligibility requirements. You can obtain this information on the USCIS website at
www.uscis.gov/military.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Dashinka said:

I agree, online is easier, but it is really up to you.  Some folks believe online filing speeds things up, but in that case, YMMV.

As to the required documents for the N400, they are much less than that for the I485 or I751 (see below).  There is also a list of documents to assemble and bring to the interview, some folks include those in the original submission which is fairly easy if filing online.  In our case, my wife filed via mail and included only the required evidence that applied to us.  She took everything else to the interview, but the IO was uninterested in it probably because they had the inch thick I751 package on their desk as well.

Good Luck!

Required Evidence
Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.
1. Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken
recently. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and
be unmounted and unretouched. Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”. The photos must be in color with full face,
frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom
of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare, unless contrary to
your religious beliefs. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the
photo.
2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent
Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551,
attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90,
Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. Provide a photocopy of your current marriage
certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse.
4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:
A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S.
Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an
uncertified Form N-426.

B. Evidence of Military Service. If you ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a Certificate of Release or
Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, for all periods of service. If you are currently serving in an active
duty status within the United States or abroad, you should submit a photocopy of your official military orders.
C. Spouses of Military Personnel have additional requirements. Refer to Naturalization Information for Military
Personnel (M-599) for eligibility requirements. You can obtain this information on the USCIS website at
www.uscis.gov/military.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Thanks Danshinka. You gave a thorough explanation here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.