ADW & JOP

Lessons along the way - a Canadian's journey to the US

39 posts in this topic

Hi there,

thank you for all of the great detailed information. I had a particular question about the drivers license section you had posted. You mention you brought all your paperwork to the DMV and then had to write an exam and sign up for a road test. Were you not able to trade your Canadian drivers license for an American one?

When I moved to Canada I was able to trade my US DL in for a CAN DL. And I assumed my spouse would be able to do the same when he eventually moves down.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, mel4 said:

Hi there,

thank you for all of the great detailed information. I had a particular question about the drivers license section you had posted. You mention you brought all your paperwork to the DMV and then had to write an exam and sign up for a road test. Were you not able to trade your Canadian drivers license for an American one?

When I moved to Canada I was able to trade my US DL in for a CAN DL. And I assumed my spouse would be able to do the same when he eventually moves down.

Not in California. I needed to re-do the whole thing.

2 hours ago, ADW & JOP said:

Exactly, this will depend on the state.  Best to review your state RMV/DMV rules and instructions.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, mel4 said:

Hi there,

Definitely depends on your state. I moved to FL and had no test to take except vision test. Also my friend moved to NYC who had no testings either.

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 3/29/2021 at 9:34 PM, ADW & JOP said:

hi there! I'm wondering if they asked you to surrender your Canadian DL? Can you keep your Canadian DL with your American DL?

thanks!

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-130 NOA1: February 25, 2020

I-130 NOA2: May 26, 2020

NVC DQ: September 9, 2020

Interview: July 2, 2021 (APPROVED!)

CR1 Visa Received: July 12, 2021

Timeline
2 minutes ago, helloTdot said:

hi there! I'm wondering if they asked you to surrender your Canadian DL? Can you keep your Canadian DL with your American DL?

thanks!

Not in California. You have to redo the whole drivers license process as if you just turned 16 - written test and road test. However, for CRA purposes (NR-73), you can show severance of residential tie by voluntarily giving it up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, helloTdot said:

thanks!

I believe it is illegal to hold both a Canadian and American DL concurrently. Your driver’s license is tied to your residency; if you’re in the US on certain visa types, there are some special rules, but as a resident for tax purposes and substantial presence, you are required to change it within 3 months. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
19 minutes ago, ADW & JOP said:

Not in California. You have to redo the whole drivers license process as if you just turned 16 - written test and road test. However, for CRA purposes (NR-73), you can show severance of residential tie by voluntarily giving it up.

12 minutes ago, mam521 said:

I believe it is illegal to hold both a Canadian and American DL concurrently. Your driver’s license is tied to your residency; if you’re in the US on certain visa types, there are some special rules, but as a resident for tax purposes and substantial presence, you are required to change it within 3 months. 

good to know. thank you both for the help!

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-130 NOA1: February 25, 2020

I-130 NOA2: May 26, 2020

NVC DQ: September 9, 2020

Interview: July 2, 2021 (APPROVED!)

CR1 Visa Received: July 12, 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.