Sal11

DS5540 health insurance

35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey, my case is under f2a category and waiting for IL atm. 

I want to get an insurance, but what insurance should we get?? Can anyone pls help me what’s the criteria? Can we get any travelers insurance or is there any specific category? Someone pls leave the link below. 

Also, my petitioner (my husband) doesn’t have an insurance, but he never took any assistance from government, could this cause any problem? 

Thanks in advance!! 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sal11 said:

Hey, my case is under f2a category and waiting for IL atm. 

I want to get an insurance, but what insurance should we get?? Can anyone pls help me what’s the criteria? Can we get any travelers insurance or is there any specific category? Someone pls leave the link below. 

Also, my petitioner (my husband) doesn’t have an insurance, but he never took any assistance from government, could this cause any problem? 

Thanks in advance!! 

My wife was refused on public charge rule. I just came out of school in December. Have never taken any government benefit. Used a co-sponsor who is a brother and earn a lot. Just that I worked 20 hours per week in order to concentrate on my education. My wife was not told how to overcome the refusal. I sent an email to the embassy, no reply. I read about the factors to consider in public charge calculation and I passed. I used a co-sponsor which is available for people with insufficient income. My credit record score is currently 768.

For insurance, it is difficult for people outside the US. I have not seen any.

Edited by vctrokoye

Timeline
21 minutes ago, vctrokoye said:

My wife was refused on public charge rule. I just came out of school in December. Have never taken any government benefit. Used a co-sponsor who is a brother and earn a lot. Just that I worked 20 hours per week in order to concentrate on my education. My wife was not told how to overcome the refusal. I sent an email to the embassy, no reply. I read about the factors to consider in public charge calculation and I passed. I used a co-sponsor which is available for people with insufficient income. My credit record score is currently 768.

For insurance, it is difficult for people outside the US. I have not seen any.

What about if petitioner doesn’t have an insurance? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Why doesn’t the petitioner have insurance? 

He just Paid for all the clinic visits and stuff. But didn’t have an insurance. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Why doesn’t the petitioner have insurance? 

Is there any way we can get an insurance for both of us? (I’m not living in USA or even been there). 

But he lives there. 

-what insurance is eligible? And where can we get it? Any idea? 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Just now, Sal11 said:

Is there any way we can get an insurance for both of us? (I’m not living in USA or even been there). 

But he lives there. 

-what insurance is eligible? And where can we get it? Any idea? 

You may ask your petitioner. The embassy is supposed to explain all these, but no, they won't. I have taken a job a part time job to see if I can get above the 125% above poverty level for a family of 3. After a month, I will resubmit.

11 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

He just Paid for all the clinic visits and stuff. But didn’t have an insurance. 

What happens if for example he is an accident and has a $50000 surgery/hospital bill? He’s just gonna pay out of his savings?

imo it’s a bad sign for your case that he doesn’t have an insurance to add you onto when you arrive.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, vctrokoye said:

You may ask your petitioner. The embassy is supposed to explain all these, but no, they won't. I have taken a job a part time job to see if I can get above the 125% above poverty level for a family of 3. After a month, I will resubmit.

All the best dude!! I can feel you right now, it’s just so stressing to live like this. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

What happens if for example he is an accident and has a $50000 surgery/hospital bill? He’s just gonna pay out of his savings?

imo it’s a bad sign for your case that he doesn’t have an insurance to add you onto when you arrive.

You’re absolutely right!! But we cannot go back and fix it, is there any way we could fix it now? 

4 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

You’re absolutely right!! But we cannot go back and fix it, is there any way we could fix it now? 

Well there is the obvious one of him actually signing up for insurance...

37 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

Do you know where can we get it?

How long has your husband been in the US? He really should know the answer to this question, not be leaving it up to someone who has never even visited the US to be asking on the Internet... anyway

He can start by looking at his state’s marketplace exchange, link below will give him a start. The problem is that if he has been here a while, he can only enrol during open enrollment, which is oct-Jan, unless he has a qualifying life event (which you immigrating would be, but that doesn’t help to show it before the interview).

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage/

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

How long has your husband been in the US? He really should know the answer to this question, not be leaving it up to someone who has never even visited the US to be asking on the Internet... anyway

He can start by looking at his state’s marketplace exchange, link below will give him a start. The problem is that if he has been here a while, he can only enrol during open enrollment, which is oct-Jan, unless he has a qualifying life event (which you immigrating would be, but that doesn’t help to show it before the interview).

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage/

He’s there since so long. I’m not sure what I can do now. I’m just stuck somewhere in between, there’s no way to skip it. Well, would you recommend us now to get an insurance for both of us? Or only me? Would work the same? Thanks for the help though

6 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

He’s there since so long. I’m not sure what I can do now. I’m just stuck somewhere in between, there’s no way to skip it. Well, would you recommend us now to get an insurance for both of us? Or only me? Would work the same? Thanks for the help though

I don’t know what to recommend to be honest, he has been quite reckless being uninsured. The best way to answer the question about getting insurance is to say you will be able to get onto your spouse’s insurance once you immigrate, but your spouse doesn’t have insurance. I’m sure if you do a search you will find discussions on how difficult it is to get/prove you will get insurance when you don’t even have a visa yet much less social security number, state residency etc. You will have to do that search separately, I certainly can’t give you an answer on that. I’m sorry his lack of insurance is now becoming an issue for your petition but there is not much way to sugar coat it.

Are there any other financial issues that could be a problem for your petition by the way? The fact that your spouse doesn’t have insurance likely means he isn’t in a full time formal sector job (these typically have insurance as part of the benefits). Are all his tax returns up to date? 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.