5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hi there,

I’m filing for a spouse-based green card and I have some questions regarding some of the forms. Some of the questions might seem redundant, but since my husband (a U.S. citizen) and I are planning to file with no lawyer assistance, I want to make sure we’re doing this right. I currently reside in the U.S. Here it goes.

I-130, “Petition for Alien Relative:”

1) Is it ok to submit uncertified photocopies of our marriage certificate and birth certificates?

2) As a proof of U.S. citizenship, multiple websites list examples of acceptable documents, such as the U.S. birth certificate, Valid U.S. passport, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, and Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Should my husband submit all of these docs, or is one or two from the list enough? 

3) Regarding our join joint bank account statements, statements for what period should we consider to submit? We have had two joint bank account for almost three years and submitting all the statements seems a lot.

4) What are good proofs for our bona fide marriage, aside bank statements, photos, and proofs of traveling together?

5) What is the best proof that we live together now? (We’ve been living together for two years)

I-485, “Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status:”

6) Can I use an uncertified photocopy of my foreign birth certificate and translate it on my own, or do I need to turn to a certified translator?

7) As a proof of lawful U.S. entry and status, is it ok if I send an uncertified photocopy of my visa in my passport? 

8) I do not have any previous interactions with law enforcement, do I still need police records testifying that I do not have any records?

9) Do I duplicate documents that are asked for in multiple multiple forms, e.g. I-94 travel record, valid U.S. visa, passport, images, or is one of each good?  

I-765, “Work Permit Application Form:” 

10) I’m currently on my student visa (F-1). Based on my F-1 visa, I have been allowed to work on campus. Does this count towards previous work permit, i.e. do I need to count my F-1 status and submit proof of previous authorization to work in the United States? If so, how does this proof look like?

11) Do I need to include an additional 2-inch-by-2-inch passport-style photo with I-765, or the one asked for the I-130 enough?

Many thanks! Wish me luck.

Edited by booanboi

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

1. Yes just a normal photocopies of any original docs.

2.Just one, nobody can have all those anyway.

3.Better to include from the very beginning but may include statements of every 4 months to reduce the volume.

4. Any joint stuffs like leases, beneficiary to one another’s policies, utility bills and such

5.lease, utility bills, bank statements,...

6.normal photocopy, anyone can do the translation just need to put “I certify that ....” statement. You can look that up.

7. Yes but copy of i94 and i-20as well

8.no

9.provide evidences/supporting docs for each forms separately. Assume they are handled by different persons.

10.on campus job doesn’t required EAD from USCIs so NO to previous work permit.

11.separate photos for each forms as asked.

You will need to submit i-130A form as well, then there is i864, i-944, i-693. Also advised to file i131. You got some homework to do.

You might wanna go thru

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, arken said:

1. Yes just a normal photocopies of any original docs.

2.Just one, nobody can have all those anyway.

3.Better to include from the very beginning but may include statements of every 4 months to reduce the volume.

4. Any joint stuffs like leases, beneficiary to one another’s policies, utility bills and such

5.lease, utility bills, bank statements,...

6.normal photocopy, anyone can do the translation just need to put “I certify that ....” statement. You can look that up.

7. Yes but copy of i94 and i-20as well

8.no

9.provide evidences/supporting docs for each forms separately. Assume they are handled by different persons.

10.on campus job doesn’t required EAD from USCIs so NO to previous work permit.

11.separate photos for each forms as asked.

You will need to submit i-130A form as well, then there is i864, i-944, i-693. Also advised to file i131. You got some homework to do.

You might wanna go thru

Wow, thanks so much! This is very helpful and I appreciate it!

*~*~*non-DCF question moved from “DCF” to “AOS from work/study/tourist visas”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.