David and Anna

AOS: How do we find out which office?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi,

A basic question, I've done a bit of googling and searching but haven't yet found the answer I need...thus posting here looking for help...

Situation:

We have applied for a K-1.  We expect she will be in the USA and we will marry in late 2020.  We have not yet decided where to live.  We are looking at several states.  One leading place is near Jackson, Wyoming.  But we may end up in Phoenix, or Idaho Falls, or Salt Lake City.  Given that proximity to work/family/school is not a factor for us, one factor that will weigh a bit in our decision is knowing how long each of those locations would take for getting her Green Card and also how far the applicable office is for us to drive for biometrics and interviews (for example, if we choose Jackson, WY, there are no offices in Wyoming).  We aren't sure how many trips getting the AP/EAD/GC will even take...

Questions:

1. Does the application go to a national center first and then they send it to a field office? 

2. Can the applicant specify which field office they want to visit for the AOS/AP/EAD interviews/biometrics/etc?

3. If the answer to 2 is "no", then how and when do we find out which office will end up with our application?

4.  Is there a table/chart/official guide that specifies if you live in "X" that your office will be "ABC"?

5. How many times do you have to visit the actual field office or some other facility to get all three of the AP/EAD/GC?

Thank you for your help!

Dave

Edited by David and Anna

10 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

Hi,

A basic question, I've done a bit of googling and searching but haven't yet found the answer I need...thus posting here looking for help...

Situation:

We have applied for a K-1.  We expect she will be in the USA and we will marry in late 2020.  We have not yet decided where to live.  We are looking at several states.  One leading place is near Jackson, Wyoming.  But we may end up in Phoenix, or Idaho Falls, or Salt Lake City.  Given that proximity to work/family/school is not a factor for us, one factor that will weigh a bit in our decision is knowing how long each of those locations would take for getting her Green Card and also how far the applicable office is for us to drive for biometrics and interviews (for example, if we choose Jackson, WY, there are no offices in Wyoming).  We aren't sure how many trips getting the AP/EAD/GC will even take...

Questions:

1. Does the application go to a national center first and then they send it to a field office? 

EAD and AP for K1s are processed entirely at the NBC in MO.

I485 is reviewed for completion at the NBC too and then transferred to your Local Field Office to wait for an interview.

2. Can the applicant specify which field office they want to visit for the AOS/AP/EAD interviews/biometrics/etc?

No. It goes by your residential zipcode.

3. If the answer to 2 is "no", then how and when do we find out which office will end up with our application?

You can input your zipcode on the My USCIS Field Office website.

Input your zip in the top blank and press search.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

10 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

4. Yes. As above.

5. How many times do you have to visit the actual field office or some other facility to get all three of the AP/EAD/GC?

Biometrics is once at your Application Support Center (ASC), maybe two if you dont apply for all three concurrently or there is an error on receipt of your applications.

One GC interview at your LFO.

Thank you for your help!

Dave

It doesnt matter where you live for AP and EAD

All K1s are processed at the NBC. No interview, it comes by mail. The estimated timelines for that will change over time but right now its 5 to 7 months.

Once you get that, it shouldnt really matter how long it takes to get the GC. Youll get interviewed when you get interviewed.

Seems kind of silly to me to be making a big life decision like this based on the novelty of getting a GC interview.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

*Jackson, Wyoming is serviced by the Casper, Wyoming FO.

Thanks.  And thanks to the poster above I now have the link to the office finder.  But, unfortunately we are looking "near Jackson" and the zip we are looking at goes to Centennial Colorado office I see on that link.  Only 9 hours drive away...(Casper would be better).

Timeline
53 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

It doesnt matter where you live for AP and EAD

All K1s are processed at the NBC. No interview, it comes by mail. The estimated timelines for that will change over time but right now its 5 to 7 months.

Once you get that, it shouldnt really matter how long it takes to get the GC. Youll get interviewed when you get interviewed.

Seems kind of silly to me to be making a big life decision like this based on the novelty of getting a GC interview.

Thank you the quick, comprehensive and well laid out reply.  Very much sincerely appreciated.

I do wish you better read/understood what I said and thus would have avoided the unnecessary judgmental and "a bit" rude comment about being silly.  Why say that?  What did it add to your post? I said we are open to many places and it would weight "a bit".  A bit is not a lot.  And you have no idea of the other factors (for example, if you knew I have several homes - in fact one in each of the places I listed except Idaho falls at present - and don't spend that much time at my "primary address" that I may use for this purpose. I didn't state it that way in my first post for obvious reasons, but given that some can't avoid the temptation to challenge/look smart, I've gone ahead and further explained here to attempt to limit the wrong conclusions and judgement that seem like the price of admission here).  Thus I have the flexibility to pick the address that might help most in this regard. I also didn't know how many times we had to go the FO, now that its only 2, it likely won't weigh at all (although I will take into consideration "a bit" any large differences in processing times).  Anyways, I did not say nor imply we were doing the "silly thing" of "making a big life decision" on that factor (unless you object to it being considered at all - even as item 100 on the list - in which case we simply disagree, I like to have as much info as I can when I make decisions, I also don't weigh it all equally when reaching a decision). 

You were so helpful with the rest of your reply, so its unfortunate that you couldn't avoid the rude put-down at the end.  I am not being ungrateful, I am truly appreciative of the information you shared.  I just wish people on this site were not so predisposed to making fun of other posters and appearing smarter.  I've seen it time and time again in my reading of these forums and I'm not the first to call someone on it.  Sadly I won't be the last.  

Edited by David and Anna

I like to have as much info as I can when posting too.

Had you posted it in your original post, I may have been able to provide an even more informed response. 

The timeline for waiting for the GC is really quite irrelevant once you have the EAD/AP.

I am too, entitled to my opinion.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I like to have as much info as I can when posting too.

Had you posted it in your original post, I may have been able to provide an even more informed response. 

The timeline for waiting for the GC is really quite irrelevant once you have the EAD/AP.

I am too, entitled to my opinion.

Indeed, fair enough. And you were extremely helpful (to be clear)!

If you will indulge me one more area of questions:

I'm trying to read the guide and what you put above and get clarity in one regard:

1. When you wrote "K-1's go to NBC", did you mean that 485's that are to take a K-1 to a GC go to a central processing place (so my location doesn't matter)?  And "what comes by mail" as you mentioned with "no interview"?  (some approval from NBC or?)

2. If "yes", then what does that NBC actually do with the application?  Is the bulk of the "approval work" done there and then its sent to the FO (is it in a way similar to what happens with the 129F where the DHLS approves it and then forwards to the embassy for interview/final approval?)

3. If "yes", does that then mean that the huge variance in FO processing times is literally not related to how long it takes the FO to work on the file, but rather is literally just how long they sit on the "NBC approved" file before being able to get to it?

4. And, I really appreciate your comment about the timing of the final interview/GC not really mattering that much because the AP/EAD come along on their schedule and my fiance should therefore be good to go for the most part.  That is a very clear way of thinking about this and helping one realize that the various FO time lines are not *that* important.  Am I getting that right?

5.  The guide on the USCIS website says "if an interview is required".  Is one always required for K-1 to GC?  Or is there a chance we won't need to do an interview?

Thank you again.

I realize I keep saying "thank you"...but seriously, I know you don't have to take the time to help me out, and I really do appreciate it.

(oh, I also found out/realized there are many ASC to do the biometrics, so we can easily travel to one from any of our homes.  So the travel issue seems to be solely for the final interview at the FO - presuming all goes according to plan that is.)

Edited by David and Anna

32 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

Indeed, fair enough. And you were extremely helpful (to be clear)!

If you will indulge me one more area of questions:

I'm trying to read the guide and what you put above and get clarity in one regard:

1. When you wrote "K-1's go to NBC", did you mean that 485's that are to take a K-1 to a GC go to a central processing place (so my location doesn't matter)?

K1 AOS eligible EAD and AP applications are all processed at the NBC in MO regardless of where you live.

You are not interviewed for EAD or AP. They mail the card to you once approved. Your GC interview will take place at your Local Field Office. Your LFO is dependent on your zipcode.

2. If "yes", then what does that NBC actually do with the application?  Is the bulk of the "approval work" done there and then its sent to the FO (is it in a way similar to what happens with the 129F where the DHLS approves it and then forwards to the embassy for interview/final approval?)

I485s are REVIEWED for completeness at the NBC. Nothing is approved there. Approval takes place after the in person interview at your LFO.

3. If "yes", does that then mean that the huge variance in FO processing times is literally not related to how long it takes the FO to work on the file, but rather is literally just how long they sit on the "NBC approved" file before being able to get to it?

They sit at the NBC waiting for review of documents and then they sit again at your LFO for an interview. Estimated processing times listed for your LFO include both of those processes in the depicted timeline estimate. Some LFOs are in huge urban Immigrant populated cities (ie. The wait for an interview is long). Others are in small areas with fewer immigrants and thus USCIS allocates no staff to these offices thus their workload is huge.

4. And, I really appreciate your comment about the timing of the final interview/GC not really mattering that much because the AP/EAD come along on their schedule and my fiance should therefore be good to go for the most part.  That is a very clear way of thinking about this and helping one realize that the various FO time lines are not *that* important.  Am I getting that right?

Exactly, yes. How long it takes to be interviewed is really irrelevant as youll already have EAD and AP (when it comes, currently 5 to 7 months estimated) and can start working and can leave and return to the US for short periods of time.

5.  The guide on the USCIS website says "if an interview is required".  Is one always required for K-1 to GC?  Or is there a chance we won't need to do an interview?

At one time, no. Currently it is EXTREMELY rare to not get interviewed for AOS.

The policy changed a few years ago and since then, I have seen zero K1 AOS applicants waived for the interview.

Thank you again.

I realize I keep saying "thank you"...but seriously, I know you don't have to take the time to help me out, and I really do appreciate it.

(oh, I also found out/realized there are many ASC to do the biometrics, so we can easily travel to one from any of our homes.  So the travel issue seems to be solely for the final interview at the FO - presuming all goes according to plan that is.)

You will be assigned an ASC on your biometrics notice however it is not uncommon to attend any ASC on a walk in basis as long as it's a few days before or on the scheduled date of your notice.

Important thing to mention:

You are going to want to make one of your residences permanent during the processing time of your GC application. 

Many many many lagging issues with updating addresses with USCIS, sending the interview notice to the correct address (and often denials of AOS due to not receiving interview notices and not showing up for the interview) and scheduling of the interview at your closest office IF you dont remain stationary.

So pick one and stay their permanently until the interview and GC are received.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline

Awesome, thank you again.  I learned more - and more clearly - from you in these posts than all I found on the web and guides in a couple of days.

Re the need for a "permanent address"...the potential for that being needed is partially behind my starting to think about which address to use this early...

I do have a "permanent" single mailing address...I use a so-called virtual mailbox service and all of my mail goes to that one address (precisely because I move around from house to house, thus making getting mail very difficult). 

The form for the I-129F all had a spot for physical vs. mailing and a quick look showed the 485/AP/EAD forms all also having room for both.  I hope/presume they only mail to the mailing one!  (they did send my NOA1 to my mailing address as expected from the I-129F - which reminds me I never got electronic notice despite sending the form for that - only paper was sent to my mailing address).

This does, however, raise the question of which FO they will send my AOS to based on which address...thinking about it...maybe they will use my mailing address zip code which is now and will remain forever in Casper, WY.  That would put our interview and timeline in the Casper WY FO.  That would be okay, I think...(there isn't a lot of data on the AOS processing times for the Casper FO - its not even listed in the database here if I'm reading that page correctly).

EDIT:  I was presuming that they would use your physical address for determining which FO to send your AOS to...but if they use my mailing address, then this is all far simpler for me...I wonder if anyone here knows the answer to that for sure...

Edited by David and Anna

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, David and Anna said:

Awesome, thank you again.  I learned more - and more clearly - from you in these posts than all I found on the web and guides in a couple of days.

Re the need for a "permanent address"...the potential for that being needed is partially behind my starting to think about which address to use this early...

I do have a "permanent" single mailing address...I use a so-called virtual mailbox service and all of my mail goes to that one address (precisely because I move around from house to house, thus making getting mail very difficult). 

The form for the I-129F all had a spot for physical vs. mailing and a quick look showed the 485/AP/EAD forms all also having room for both.  I hope/presume they only mail to the mailing one!  (they did send my NOA1 to my mailing address as expected from the I-129F - which reminds me I never got electronic notice despite sending the form for that - only paper was sent to my mailing address).

This does, however, raise the question of which FO they will send my AOS to based on which address...thinking about it...maybe they will use my mailing address zip code which is now and will remain forever in Casper, WY.  That would put our interview and timeline in the Casper WY FO.  That would be okay, I think...(there isn't a lot of data on the AOS processing times for the Casper FO - its not even listed in the database here if I'm reading that page correctly).

EDIT:  I was presuming that they would use your physical address for determining which FO to send your AOS to...but if they use my mailing address, then this is all far simpler for me...I wonder if anyone here knows the answer to that for sure...

I wouldn't suggest using a different mailing address than physical address. I've seen some cases where the biometrics and interview were scheduled for the mailing address location. Some people had mailing address in a different state, and that's where they got their interview assigned to.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.