MelloFrenchMan

I-751 when to submit?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Bruce Herrington said:

Requires divorce to be final. OP says divorce pending so dosen't apply

I disagree.......the OP can file, then respond to the RFE......or he can wait until final decree....his choice.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Just now, Bruce Herrington said:

Requires divorce to be final. OP says divorce pending so dosen't apply

Yes but you can still submit it if your case is pending, as sometimes it takes a long time.

Just now, missileman said:

I disagree.......the OP can file, then respond to the RFE......or he can wait until final decree....his choice.

OR!!!!!!!!! The petition can be denied, fee kept. If people ignore istructions they deserve to be denied. There is no requirement for USCIS to ever issue a RFE for any reason.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bruce Herrington said:

OR!!!!!!!!! The petition can be denied, fee kept. If people ignore istructions they deserve to be denied. There is no requirement for USCIS to ever issue a RFE for any reason.

I'll admit that, personally, I would wait for the decree......no argument there......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

I'll admit that, personally, I would wait for the decree......no argument there......

Again like i said i will wait but im thinking just incase i didnt get it in time. thats all

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MelloFrenchMan said:

Again like i said i will wait but im thinking just incase i didnt get it in time. thats all

I would not wait until I was placed in removal proceeding to file.....Your thoughts, @Bruce Herrington?

Edited by missileman

Timeline
7 minutes ago, MelloFrenchMan said:

When does your Green Card expire?

Timeline

I think we all agree that waiting until you have the final decree is the best course of action........However, I would file with a waiver before my Green Card expired......even if I didn't have the final decree.  Your thoughts, @Bruce Herrington?

Edited by missileman

12 minutes ago, missileman said:

I think we all agree that waiting until you have the final decree is the best course of action........However, I would file with a waiver before my Green Card expired......even if I didn't have the final decree.  Your thoughts, @Bruce Herrington?

He has only been in the US 11 months and a divorce already filed. I would follow the instructions for the I-751. Asking for a waiver will only be fruitful if he qualifies for a waiver, otherwise filing is a waste of money.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Bruce Herrington said:

He has only been in the US 11 months and a divorce already filed. I would follow the instructions for the I-751. Asking for a waiver will only be fruitful if he qualifies for a waiver, otherwise filing is a waste of money.

Ive been in the US for 2 years, i was married in March 2018 and got my green card in march 2019, the divorce was filled about a month ago. I do qualify and again your making huge assumptions  

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Bruce Herrington said:

But if the marriage has ended, he has no choice, at some point, but to file with a waiver.  Sometimes, marriages just don't work........and to be honest, very, very few I-751s are ultimately denied....the last time I calculated, it was less than 1%.    I just don't think waiting until removal proceeding have started is prudent.

Edited by missileman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.