Dogwood_Poet

Tax Refund Woes!

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I filled my taxes "Married filing jointly" since Kathlene and I married last year and got her ITIN # and all that good stuff. Now I got my/our tax refund check in the mail today and took it to the bank. THEY WOULD'T DEPOSIT IT! They said it had to be a joint account since it had both our names on it and they can't put her name on my account until she is here in person to sign the papers. So I am sure the same thing will happen when I get my state refund as well.

Has anyone else run into this before? I understand their concerns about fraud and the bank manager said the Treasury Dept would return the check without both signatures on the back.

OH well, I guess I will just put them both in the safe and wait until this fall and we can use the money for a short delayed honeymoon after she lands in the US.

Now I could mail them to Kathlene and have her sign them and mail two SIGNED checks back to me, but that doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

Maybe I should have filed 'Married filing separately' and I wouldn't have had that problem, but I must admit I didn't see this coming!

You can't cash it alone because it's not only your money; it's hers, too. Her name is on it, so she at least has to endorse the check before you can cash it. Personally, I'd be furious if my bank cashed a check with my name on it that I did not endorse.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Remember that checks are usually only valid for 3 months from date of issuance. So if you wait for her to get here, it may be late & the check will not cash.

I say sign her name & deposit at your banks ATM.

12140.gif

You can't cash it alone because it's not only your money; it's hers, too. Her name is on it, so she at least has to endorse the check before you can cash it. Personally, I'd be furious if my bank cashed a check with my name on it that I did not endorse.

Personally, I'd be furious if my bank rejected the direct deposit that both spouses have signed for on the actual tax return. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Remember that checks are usually only valid for 3 months from date of issuance. So if you wait for her to get here, it may be late & the check will not cash.

This is actually an urban legend. Unless the check specifically indicates a "void" date they are technically valid indefinetley.

YMMV

:whistle: I know how to sign hubbies name as he does mine. I sign my mothers name when necessary and she has done the same with my things. The banks never seem none the wiser.

The problem is that his account isn't a joint account.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I filled my taxes "Married filing jointly" since Kathlene and I married last year and got her ITIN # and all that good stuff. Now I got my/our tax refund check in the mail today and took it to the bank. THEY WOULD'T DEPOSIT IT! They said it had to be a joint account since it had both our names on it and they can't put her name on my account until she is here in person to sign the papers. So I am sure the same thing will happen when I get my state refund as well.

Has anyone else run into this before? I understand their concerns about fraud and the bank manager said the Treasury Dept would return the check without both signatures on the back.

OH well, I guess I will just put them both in the safe and wait until this fall and we can use the money for a short delayed honeymoon after she lands in the US.

Now I could mail them to Kathlene and have her sign them and mail two SIGNED checks back to me, but that doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

Maybe I should have filed 'Married filing separately' and I wouldn't have had that problem, but I must admit I didn't see this coming!

Both of you need an account there? BS. You both need only endorse the check. That is check 101 standard.

Some of these banks r ridiculous...My husbands name is on my auto policy, they sent me a claim check and both out names r on it..and I endorsed and it went thru...yeah I agree direct deposit is ur best friend..good luck

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Just went through this myself. It took about 3 weeks to finally convince my bank to let me deposit the check. I went to the bank manager and explained the situation,showed them all the documents from,USCIS,and my wifes ITIN number. After that it didn't seem to be a problem. They just told me to bring her in after she arrives and put her on the account.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

"Remember that checks are usually only valid for 3 months from date of issuance. So if you wait for her to get here, it may be late & the check will not cash."

"This is actually an urban legend. Unless the check specifically indicates a "void" date they are technically valid indefinetley."

Federal Tax Return checks are good for 1 year. State Tax Return checks are typically the same or have no expiration date.

Edited by viccardenas

Dogwood_Poet,

So put her signature on the back of the check and deposit it in a free-standing ATM (one that's in the bank parking lot, not in the bank building). The free-standing ATMs are generally serviced by contract companies, not by the bank itself. The bank and your branch of the bank will never see the check, only the record of the deposit transaction.

Related, I changed my checking and savings accounts at one of my banks to joint accounts while my wife was still in her country while we were waiting for my petition to be approved. The bank gave me a signature card, I scanned and e-mailed it to my wife, she printed and signed it, and mailed it back along with photocopies of several of her items of photo ID. This gave them signed photo ID for their file with signatures matching her original signature on the signature card.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak