Derek & Cece

Tax Filing Question (MFJ) Tax Year Differences

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Did you complete the FEIE (2555/2555EZ) to then exclude the income?

I was just using the Turbo tax and entered earned income 

Just now, Pooley said:

I believe it appears after the section where they ask for income. I didn't use TurboTax this year so I don't know for sure where they put it, but it's normally after the income section.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

How much they withheld doesn't matter for US tax purposes. They just need a number for how much was earned (gross).

Assuming the FEIE applies and the earned amount is under ~$100k, I wouldn't be too worried with the exact amount as it will all be excluded anyway. This doesn't mean don't do you due diligence to get the best number possible, but don't freak out if it turns out not to be exact.

As far as I understand FEIE does apply, so I'm filing that way and I'm doing my best to make her information as accurate as possible, even though her income will be excluded from taxation. She's lived in AU for 5 years, including most of 2019, so AU qualifies as her tax home. I filled out the 2555 and my refund amount looks to be what I expected, nearly $2500 between federal and state.

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

I believe it appears after the section where they ask for income. I didn't use TurboTax this year so I don't know for sure where they put it, but it's normally after the income section.

I didn’t see that. I think it’s a separate form

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Pooley said:

I used Jackson Hewitt and I had to manually have the tool show me all forms and the 2555 was under the Foreign section.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Derek & Cece said:

I used Jackson Hewitt and I had to manually have the tool show me all forms and the 2555 was under the Foreign section.

Okay, I’ll look that up and see if that helps! Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 hours ago, Derek & Cece said:

My question is: Am i expected to calculate her total earnings and what taxes were withheld from her in 2019 via her paystubs (assuming she has/can get them all), do I need to file an extension and wait for her 2019-2020 tax documentation, or do I just report what this paper shows even though I know she earned income from JUL-OCT of 2019 that this documentation does not reflect?

This doesn’t have to be so complicated.  I seriously guessed my income as best I could. No form showing the actual factual foreign Income is submitted with your tax return. Any tax paid to AU is not needed for the Foreign Income Exclusion. If your monthly income was approximately the same each month, then calculate a reasonable amount that will cover the months Jul-Oct that you have no record of.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

It is rather easy on TurboTax it will lead you after you finish entering information.

for the amount of Income you can use the ratings on IRS website.

the only thing I’d advice is don’t forget to print it out and send it by mail (adding your w2 along )

it will give instructions for both federal and state return.

you need to send by mail in order to count your wife as resident for tax purposes, so add that paper with your returns when sending it in.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Naes said:

It is rather easy on TurboTax it will lead you after you finish entering information.

for the amount of Income you can use the ratings on IRS website.

the only thing I’d advice is don’t forget to print it out and send it by mail (adding your w2 along )

it will give instructions for both federal and state return.

you need to send by mail in order to count your wife as resident for tax purposes, so add that paper with your returns when sending it in.

So wait, I can't e-file? It has to be printed and mailed in? That's weird, Jackson Hewitt didn't tell me that, they said I was fine to e-file.

26 minutes ago, Derek & Cece said:

So wait, I can't e-file? It has to be printed and mailed in? That's weird, Jackson Hewitt didn't tell me that, they said I was fine to e-file.

If you are making the election to be treated as a resident alien for the entire year (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse) - as required to file jointly here - then you must attach a letter making the election. There is no way to do so when e-filing, at least none that I am aware of as of at least last year.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Derek & Cece said:

I believe it was on the IRS website, I remember researching for months and going crazy.

most softwares will let you just print the file in the end to file it by mail.

Timeline
On 1/31/2020 at 8:20 PM, geowrian said:

So adding his income shouldn't be affecting my refund if I'm doing it right?

Timeline
57 minutes ago, Pooley said:

So adding his income shouldn't be affecting my refund if I'm doing it right?

When TurboTax shows you a running total of your refund it is misleading. Until you enter everything, you are being mislead by that gimmick. 

But  a $3500 swing sounds like you have made a mistake. Print a copy of your 1040 From the program. Check the following lines:

Line 1. Total of [your salary income] PLUS [his foreign income]. Is the total correct? 

Line 8a. His income with a minus sign in front of it. Example:  -18,000

Timeline
On 2/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, Wuozopo said:

When TurboTax shows you a running total of your refund it is misleading. Until you enter everything, you are being mislead by that gimmick. 

But  a $3500 swing sounds like you have made a mistake. Print a copy of your 1040 From the program. Check the following lines:

Line 1. Total of [your salary income] PLUS [his foreign income]. Is the total correct? 

Line 8a. His income with a minus sign in front of it. Example:  -18,000

So on H&R I was able to put a (-) in front of his income and it worked, bringing back my refund. On Turbo tax, it will not let me put a (-) sign. 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Pooley said:

So on H&R I was able to put a (-) in front of his income and it worked, bringing back my refund. On Turbo tax, it will not let me put a (-) sign. 

That is because by just adding  a minus sign manually, you are over-riding their programming and altering the accuracy. If it wasn’t already a minus sign, you did something wrong. You can’t just fix it by putting a minus sign in yourself.

If you go through the Less Common Income section of TurboTax and answer the questions, it will fill out Form 2555, put the exclusion on a filled out Schedule 1, and enter it as a minus number on the 1040. You will require at minimum a 1040, Schedule 1, and Form 2555. If you got interest paid on any bank accounts, then there is a Schedule B in your return as well. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.