Derek & Cece

Tax Filing Question (MFJ) Tax Year Differences

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That is because by just adding  a minus sign manually, you are over-riding their programming and altering the accuracy. If it wasn’t already a minus sign, you did something wrong. You can’t just fix it by putting a minus sign in yourself.

If you go through the Less Common Income section of TurboTax and answer the questions, it will fill out Form 2555, put the exclusion on a filled out Schedule 1, and enter it as a minus number on the 1040. You will require at minimum a 1040, Schedule 1, and Form 2555. If you got interest paid on any bank accounts, then there is a Schedule B in your return as well. 

Okay, so when I don't put a negative sign in from of his income, it says we qualify for the Tax exclusion and it shows both our incomes but in line 8a it's not coming up as excluded

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pooley said:

In Turbo Tax, when I put his income without a minus, this comes up.....

image.png

Make sure in the W2 section you only entered  your W2. Nothing for his wages. He doesn’t have a W2. Do not make a pretend W2 for his wages. 

THEN

Go back through every question under Foreign income in the Less common Income section which is the last section on Income.  Qualify him as a Bonafide resident.  I know it works because I have already done a K1s taxes for 2019.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Make sure in the W2 section you only entered  your W2. Nothing for his wages. He doesn’t have a W2. Do not make a pretend W2 for his wages. 

THEN

Go back through every question under Foreign income in the Less common Income section which is the last section on Income.  Qualify him as a Bonafide resident.  I know it works because I have already done a K1s taxes for 2019.

Okay, I was able to do it on Turbo and it shows that his income is - in front of it but it did take away practically my entire refund. I put him as the physical presence because when I read on the Bonafide, it said that he is intending on returning to his foreign country. For some reason, Turbo tax won't let me just put his income unless I put a negative in front of his income but then it doesn't show at all on the form 1040. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Okay, I was able to do it on Turbo and it shows that his income is - in front of it but it did take away practically my entire refund. I put him as the physical presence because when I read on the Bonafide, it said that he is intending on returning to his foreign country. For some reason, Turbo tax won't let me just put his income unless I put a negative in front of his income but then it doesn't show at all on the form 1040. 

Just pay somebody to do your taxes. You are not understanding their questions and you’ve spent lots of time jumping between programs and I don’t think you have done either accurately. If I can’t see every screen and how you answered  from the  very beginning of foreign income, then I can’t find your mistake.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.