LaurenFromNYC

Residency requirement for DCF in Rome

13 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all!

I am trying to figure out the residence requirements to file I130 by DCF in Rome. I wrote to USCIS last Thursday but I have not received a response. 

I have 2 questions for them:

1) Is there a requirement that i have “residence” (literal legal residence papers and/or Italian ID) for six months prior to filing (saw somewhere online but might be old rule)

2) is other proof of residence enough for example leases for the past year, permesso di soggiorno (my student one I got last year) and my new permesso that I got through marriage (received yesterday), stamps on passport, utility bills, proof I was in school half of last year, OR do I need to get my actual residence papers and or Italian ID? This will take 45 to 50 days to get. I worry the office will close in that time & I will have wasted time waiting for my “residency”/Italian ID. 

thank you. 

image from uscis site 

4297BB5F-CDD2-4A76-8C62-4DA0E6743902.png

Edited by LaurenFromNYC
Typo

Timeline
14 hours ago, LaurenFromNYC said:

Hi all!

I am trying to figure out the residence requirements to file I130 by DCF in Rome. I wrote to USCIS last Thursday but I have not received a response. 

I have 2 questions for them:

1) Is there a requirement that i have “residence” (literal legal residence papers and/or Italian ID) for six months prior to filing (saw somewhere online but might be old rule)

2) is other proof of residence enough for example leases for the past year, permesso di soggiorno (my student one I got last year) and my new permesso that I got through marriage (received yesterday), stamps on passport, utility bills, proof I was in school half of last year, OR do I need to get my actual residence papers and or Italian ID? This will take 45 to 50 days to get. I worry the office will close in that time & I will have wasted time waiting for my “residency”/Italian ID. 

thank you. 

image from uscis site

EDIT: 2nd image declaring residence but NOT official residency papers.  Got today at anagrafe in Perugia  

14 hours ago, LaurenFromNYC said:

4297BB5F-CDD2-4A76-8C62-4DA0E6743902.png

19CC7D18-A549-4FEB-A897-CA0510110F50.png

Edited by LaurenFromNYC
New photo

Hey Lauren!

I think you should be ok, from what I read USCIS in Rome did not take into the account the 6 months rule. I remember reading that in a post here on VJ.

And you can definitely provide your passport stamp and old permit to stay and that should do.

I believe USCIS only can answer you, maybe you can try to reach them on the phone and they're very kind and helpful.

Edit: found the post. You can read it here 

Edited by Daisy&Mirko
Added link

You can find in on their website https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/international-offices/contact-us-uscis-rome-field-office

If I remember correctly, you can call them Monday-Friday 8.30/12

Best of luck!

Timeline
14 hours ago, Daisy&Mirko said:

You can find in on their website https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/international-offices/contact-us-uscis-rome-field-office

If I remember correctly, you can call them Monday-Friday 8.30/12

Best of luck!

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-process-accepting-petitions-relatives-abroad

looks like I am too late ! On the same day I got my residency in Italy !

I didn't see that coming :(

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

On 2/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, LaurenFromNYC said:

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-process-accepting-petitions-relatives-abroad

looks like I am too late ! On the same day I got my residency in Italy !

Don't assume you're too late without checking, though.  I checked with the London USCIS on Monday and yesterday this is what they replied: 

• The USCIS London Field Office is only authorized to accept Form I-130 Petitions for Alien Relative from U.S. citizens who are legally residing in the United Kingdom and are filing on behalf of an immediate relative – i.e., spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21.
  • As of February 1, 2020, U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S. and outside the United Kingdom may use the following processes for filing an I-130 petition on behalf of an immediate relative:
    • The Department of State’s Consular Sections at U.S. Embassies and Consulates have a blanket authorization to accept the I-130 petition for local processing from eligible U.S. active duty members assigned in the host country. See https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-process-accepting-petitions-relatives-abroad. Contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information.
    • The Department of State’s Consular Sections at U.S. Embassies and Consulates have the discretion to accept the I-130 petition for local processing from non-military U.S. citizen petitioners residing in the host country who meet the exceptional circumstance criteria outlined in https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3. Contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information.
    • All other U.S. citizens residing outside of the United Kingdom will have to file the I-130 petition with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox, using the instructions at https://www.uscis.gov/i-130.  

If you’re not residing outside of the UK; therefore, at this time eligible applicants can still file with London office.

I'm taking that to mean they will still accept my application, which they received yesterday.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, The4Sands said:

Don't assume you're too late without checking, though.  I checked with the London USCIS on Monday and yesterday this is what they replied: 

• The USCIS London Field Office is only authorized to accept Form I-130 Petitions for Alien Relative from U.S. citizens who are legally residing in the United Kingdom and are filing on behalf of an immediate relative – i.e., spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21.
  • As of February 1, 2020, U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S. and outside the United Kingdom may use the following processes for filing an I-130 petition on behalf of an immediate relative:
    • The Department of State’s Consular Sections at U.S. Embassies and Consulates have a blanket authorization to accept the I-130 petition for local processing from eligible U.S. active duty members assigned in the host country. See https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-updates-process-accepting-petitions-relatives-abroad. Contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information.
    • The Department of State’s Consular Sections at U.S. Embassies and Consulates have the discretion to accept the I-130 petition for local processing from non-military U.S. citizen petitioners residing in the host country who meet the exceptional circumstance criteria outlined in https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3. Contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information.
    • All other U.S. citizens residing outside of the United Kingdom will have to file the I-130 petition with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox, using the instructions at https://www.uscis.gov/i-130.  

If you’re not residing outside of the UK; therefore, at this time eligible applicants can still file with London office.

I'm taking that to mean they will still accept my application, which they received yesterday.

87A1E4BD-56CE-46E1-92D2-3A67C8BED4FC.png

2 hours ago, The4Sands said:

Don't assume you're too late without checking, though.

I looked at all the International USCIS Offices.  Neither London or Accra have updated web pages.   Maybe they have some special exemption?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

HI All,

I'm new here but have been browsing past couple of days. Notice a lot going on with the closures of USCIS in international offices. I sent off my I-130 today. Wrt the closures it looks like they are keeping London, Accra and Ghana open and accepting submissions until March 31st. See attached, point 2 under policy highlights. I hope that helps with some of the confusion! A lot going on....  Document can also be found here 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20200131-I-130FiledAbroad.pdf

20200131-I-130FiledAbroad.pdf

15 hours ago, Morgan5698 said:

HI All,

I'm new here but have been browsing past couple of days. Notice a lot going on with the closures of USCIS in international offices. I sent off my I-130 today. Wrt the closures it looks like they are keeping London, Accra and Ghana open and accepting submissions until March 31st. See attached, point 2 under policy highlights. I hope that helps with some of the confusion! A lot going on....  Document can also be found here 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/policymanual/updates/20200131-I-130FiledAbroad.pdf

20200131-I-130FiledAbroad.pdf 315.53 kB · 1 download

I came on to say the same.  At the bottom of this page on the USCIS website it says this:

Special note for U.S. citizens residing in the United Kingdom or Ghana: If you reside in-country, we will continue to accept and adjudicate Forms I-130 at these field offices through March 31, 2020.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.