cjsm19

Green card interview and employment requirement

20 posts in this topic

Just a little bit confused lol. If my spouse will still be overseas, how does the green card interview work? Do I still need to attend the interview? Or does it take place only after he has arrived in the States? 

Also, we both are at the end of our college education. As a result, neither of us have much work experience. I will soon be getting a job with a decent salary (over the 125% required), but I will only have been working about six months at the time I file the affidavit of support. Does time employed matter? Or is it just the salary that is important? Thanks!

Where are you in the process?   You say you are married.  Has the beneficiary obtained the US Visa yet?  I'm taking that you are at the NVC stage since you are also asking about I-864. 

Go to the top right of the this page and click on your username and complete the timeline so we can answer your questions based on where you are in the process.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Just now, Paul & Mary said:

Where are you in the process?   You say you are married.  Has the beneficiary obtained the US Visa yet?  I'm taking that you are at the NVC stage since you are also asking about I-864. 

Go to the top right of the this page and click on your username and complete the timeline so we can answer your questions based on where you are in the process.

Sorry for not being more specific with my wording. We are not married yet, but will be in September. I’m just trying to gather some information so I know what to expect, but sometimes the information on different websites isn’t completely clear. 

1 minute ago, cjsm19 said:

Sorry for not being more specific with my wording. We are not married yet, but will be in September. I’m just trying to gather some information so I know what to expect, but sometimes the information on different websites isn’t completely clear. 

When are you filing the petition?

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can read the guides, he will interview for an Immigrant Visa at the local Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Sounds good

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, cjsm19 said:

Soon after we marry. We will be married abroad. And then I will return and file the petition. 

Then you will have plenty of time to work and have proof of income.   You may need a joint sponsor, but that is probably 7 to 12 months after you file the I-130.

1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

Then you will have plenty of time to work and have proof of income.   You may need a joint sponsor, but that is probably 7 to 12 months after you file the I-130.

Wonderful. Thank you for your help! Does he have the green card interview there, or here in the States? How long is the entire process usually? 

2 minutes ago, cjsm19 said:

Wonderful. Thank you for your help! Does he have the green card interview there, or here in the States? How long is the entire process usually? 

Without knowing what country the timeline is hard to predict. 7 to 12 months for USCIS, 1 to 3 months for the NVC and 1 to 12 months for the consulate.

He is not interviewing for a green card.   The interview is for an immigrant VISA.   The green card comes after entering the US and paying the fee.

10 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Without knowing what country the timeline is hard to predict. 7 to 12 months for USCIS, 1 to 3 months for the NVC and 1 to 12 months for the consulate.

He is not interviewing for a green card.   The interview is for an immigrant VISA.   The green card comes after entering the US and paying the fee.

He’s coming from Poland. So the process takes over two years? Does the K3 visa allow for him to come here sooner than that? 

3 minutes ago, cjsm19 said:

He’s coming from Poland. So the process takes over two years? Does the K3 visa allow for him to come here sooner than that? 

Poland won't take that long, whereas Mexico would.  Probably around a year. to 15 months   You can ask specific questions on the regional forums.  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/95-europe-amp-eurasia-except-the-uk-and-russia/

K3 is effectively obsolete.  Only 5 issued last year.

Edited by Paul & Mary

Timeline

12 months or so, 2 years well most unlikely.

K3 is to all effects dead.

3 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Poland won't take that long, whereas Mexico would.  Probably around a year. to 15 months   You can ask specific questions on the regional forums.  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/95-europe-amp-eurasia-except-the-uk-and-russia/

K3 is effectively obsolete.  Only 5 issued last year.

Thank you so much for your help! 

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

12 months or so, 2 years well most unlikely.

K3 is to all effects dead.

Thank you for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You have twelve to 18 months after filing the petition, after marriage, to get a job in the US to establish evidence of current income sufficient to be the sole sponsor.  So if you get married in September and file the petition in October, you'll have until at least October of 2021, perhaps April of 2022, to show evidence of your current income for the I-864.  Or get a joint sponsor.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.