Amanda880

DS 5535 needed?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

My fiance had his interview at the american embassy in tunisia on the 23rd of January and  received his passport back with the visa on tuesday January 28th. My fiance will not be coming to the us for a few months so we can arrange some things. My fiance made a friend in the interview who also received his K1 visa on this last Tuesday and flew back the same day with his fiancee. He got stopped in Frankfurt and had to return due to not having a ds 5535 form filled out. This is the first time my fiance or I have heard of this. Can someone explain? My fiance didnt get a request for this form do we need to fill this out? Is it country specific of the country you fly through? My fiancee will be coming through france. Any information would be extremely helpful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

That is so strange, and I'd be alarmed and concerned too!

You may have started doing some digging on here since posting, but I found this thread (started in 2017 and continued in part 2, through now) about this form DS-5535...

Isn't DS-5535 part of AP for people who receive the 221G? 

This is so confusing, why would this come up after a visa is issued, and in transit in Germany?

I haven't been able to read too much into those threads yet, but I'm curious to know more about this.

Also, congrats on your approval!! Very exciting!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Amanda880 said:

My fiance had his interview at the american embassy in tunisia on the 23rd of January and  received his passport back with the visa on tuesday January 28th. My fiance will not be coming to the us for a few months so we can arrange some things. My fiance made a friend in the interview who also received his K1 visa on this last Tuesday and flew back the same day with his fiancee. He got stopped in Frankfurt and had to return due to not having a ds 5535 form filled out. This is the first time my fiance or I have heard of this. Can someone explain? My fiance didnt get a request for this form do we need to fill this out? Is it country specific of the country you fly through? My fiancee will be coming through france. Any information would be extremely helpful.

The DS5535 is used at the IO discretion but has become very common over the last few years in the MENA countries. Do

you know who “stopped “

him in Frankfurt ? I don’t see Frankfurt on the preclearance airport list .. and no one other than CBP gets to look at the packet of documents ..  Not sure you can do anything at this stage except keep on with your plans.  

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
6 hours ago, Jmeleecur said:

That is so strange, and I'd be alarmed and concerned too!

You may have started doing some digging on here since posting, but I found this thread (started in 2017 and continued in part 2, through now) about this form DS-5535...

Isn't DS-5535 part of AP for people who receive the 221G? 

This is so confusing, why would this come up after a visa is issued, and in transit in Germany?

I haven't been able to read too much into those threads yet, but I'm curious to know more about this.

Also, congrats on your approval!! Very exciting!!

Thank you!! I was trying to find something with search but I guess I was doing it wrong lol 

It is very concerning as it looks a lot like filling out the questions on a DS 160 all over again.... I don't understand why you would have to do that.... 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Lil bear said:

The DS5535 is used at the IO discretion but has become very common over the last few years in the MENA countries. Do

you know who “stopped “

him in Frankfurt ? I don’t see Frankfurt on the preclearance airport list .. and no one other than CBP gets to look at the packet of documents ..  Not sure you can do anything at this stage except keep on with your plans.  

I have no idea who stopped him. I just know he was stopped in Frankfurt and flown back to tunisia and apparently the embassy is reimbursing him for the ticket due to not providing that to him with his visa? Second hand information is always not the best but I couldn't go on without asking the question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Amanda880 said:

I have no idea who stopped him. I just know he was stopped in Frankfurt and flown back to tunisia and apparently the embassy is reimbursing him for the ticket due to not providing that to him with his visa? Second hand information is always not the best but I couldn't go on without asking the question.

Yes you’re right .. second hand info is always partial.  Without knowing the full details you can’t know if your cases have any similarity that matters. Hard as it is to put the thought out of your mind , I feel that staying on your course is the best. Deal with the challenge if and when it happens. Chances are that it won’t happen ! Sounds like the consulate made the error .. and have acknowledged it !! 

Edited by Lil bear

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.