43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which visa are you seeking to renew?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You can renew you GC anytime within 6 months of the expiry date or even after the GC is expired, no issues. Your widow status will nit affect the GC renewal.

Any reason you aren’t applying for citizenship?

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Bluelake1 said:

After its expired? How come? That would not put me in a no status situation? Otherwise, it's great to know I have a bit of time, thank you!!

Why not citizenship? Good question,, in the end it's because we were supposed to apply to it with him.. 

The GC only shows your status.. your LPR status does not finish when your GC expires. Renew the GC so you have ongoing evidence of your lawful status. The GC is not a visa.. a visa is what you were granted so you could enter the US. You were granted Permanent Residency stays as demonstrated by the GC  

I don’t know your path to LPR... fiancé or spouse or work etc.. it would help us answer better if you could give a little background to your journey. 
I’m sorry to hear that you now journey alone .. 😢.. it’s a hard road 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline

At this time if you want to apply for citizenship, you can do so. Rather than wasting money on GC renewal, you can add a just bit more money to apply for citizenship.

Spouse:

Myself:

On 2/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, Lil bear said:

The GC only shows your status.. your LPR status does not finish when your GC expires. Renew the GC so you have ongoing evidence of your lawful status. The GC is not a visa.. a visa is what you were granted so you could enter the US. You were granted Permanent Residency stays as demonstrated by the GC  

I don’t know your path to LPR... fiancé or spouse or work etc.. it would help us answer better if you could give a little background to your journey. 
I’m sorry to hear that you now journey alone .. 😢.. it’s a hard road 

"your LPR status does not finish when your GC expires": I did not know that, thanks so much! To answer your question, I was married when I moved with my husband here. The Permanent Green Card arrived in like 4 months back then. And yes, the journey was without him difficult, honestly, unbearable.

What will happen between the expiration of the PGC and  it's renewal. I read somewhere the renwal may take 1 year: can I continue to work? and/or should I ask for some type of document stating my status I call transition? Makes sense? I also heard there is no more Infopass service for that, like in the past.

Again, thank you!!!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Bluelake1 said:

"your LPR status does not finish when your GC expires": I did not know that, thanks so much! To answer your question, I was married when I moved with my husband here. The Permanent Green Card arrived in like 4 months back then. And yes, the journey was without him difficult, honestly, unbearable.

What will happen between the expiration of the PGC and  it's renewal. I read somewhere the renwal may take 1 year: can I continue to work? and/or should I ask for some type of document stating my status I call transition? Makes sense? I also heard there is no more Infopass service for that, like in the past.

Again, thank you!!!

Yes , you continue to work and travel as currently. You will get an I797 Notice of Action on their receipt of your renewal

application. This along with your expired GC should be adequate to demonstrate your status .. but if you want to be doubly sure of having a document that is accepted , take your expired GC, the notice and your passport to the local USCIS office for an I 551 stamp 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bluelake1 said:

I understand it may be better but as I mentioned, it's like I still cannot do it without him. 

Give yourself time to move through the grief and loss .. get the FC renewal in and that will be good. Do what you need to and what you can. Be kind to yourself 💕

11 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes , you continue to work and travel as currently. You will get an I797 Notice of Action on their receipt of your renewal

application. This along with your expired GC should be adequate to demonstrate your status .. but if you want to be doubly sure of having a document that is accepted , take your expired GC, the notice and your passport to the local USCIS office for an I 551 stamp 

My passport has expired, should I renew it too? Otherwise, all is clear. I still would like to learn about the permanent status, you just informed me about, where can I find that information? Although I understand now it's importance. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Bluelake1 said:

I understand it may be better but as I mentioned, it's like I still cannot do it without him. 

If you are saying you can’t do it alone emotionally, then i understand, apply whenever you are ready. I was more pointing that you are allowed to apply by yourself at this time, considering processing times and fees.

As said, you will remain an LPR even if your GC is expired or lost, whether you renew/replace it or not. 

Spouse:

Myself:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.