TastyCake

General question about ROC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are still a while from completing the I-751 but wanted to get some early intel.  Our apologies if this kind of question has been asked ad nauseum in the past.  We did a cursory review of recent posts but couldn't see anything that asked this particular question but maybe they are there and we're just plain missing them.

As far as timeline goes for ROC, does it matter what your local office is (for us it would be Boston) like it does with the AOS?  We think so since there's biometrics, interview, etc. but maybe the service center (I think, in our case, that would be Vermont) is more pertinent.

We're trying to get the lowdown on how long it could take end-to-end to complete... TOTALLY understanding that timelines can change from one year to the next.  Just looking for a ballpark based on current state so we can set our expectations accordingly.  If the local office does come into play for the timeline it would be appreciated if any fellow Boston folks can respond.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Expect ROC to take 12-16 months. You can file for Naturalization regardless after the 3 year Residency is met.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
21 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

Expect ROC to take 12-16 months. You can file for Naturalization regardless after the 3 year Residency is met.

Thanks, you just answered my follow-up question.  🙂  Since my wife is married to me (a U.S. citizen) and so she can file for naturalization after 3 years it seems we could do this while the I-751 is still happening.

Edited by TastyCake

6 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

Thanks, you just answered my follow-up question.  🙂  Since my wife is married to me (a U.S. citizen) and so she can file for naturalization after 3 years it seems we could do this while the I-751 is still happening.

Yep! Legal residency does not end when the card expires WHEN you file for I-751. The NOA extends your residency rights for 18~ months.

visa Issued

From what I've gathered, it matters what your local office is if you are assigned a MSC case number and most (all?) people who came on a CR1 and were never interviewed in the US are assigned that. If you did AOS, then I guess it's not guaranteed whether you will have an interview or not. I'm still waiting to receive my case number though, so I'm very green when it comes to ROC. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

From Boston, ROC took ~14 months back in 2015 (filed 12/2015, approved 02/2017). IIRC, it's all down to service center, so everyone going to Vermont would be the same.

The good news is, the naturalization timeline is based on local office, and mine took 5 months from submission to oath this year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Everyone! 
  So it was our time to file the I-75. My husbands green card expires on April 20th. I sent the papers in on Jan 15th and it was delivered to the PO BOX in Phoenix by USPS on a sat Jan 18th. That following Monday was MLK Day so now I’m wondering what date are they going to use as the received date? Sat or Tue when the post office would be open again. I’m worried that if they go by the 18th date it will be considered early and they’ll send it back to me. And if they do does anyone know how long that takes? We haven’t gotten any notice and the check hasn’t been cashed. I guess a good thing if it does get sent back is that I can include some more documents and pictures. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.