~Alessa~

Taxes / Fee increase anytime soon?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Does anyone know if USCIS will increase their fee anytime soon? 

Also, another question (a bit confusing one) Me and my spouse haven't filed 2019 tax return yet as IRS starts to accept returns on January 27. Now, if I file N-400 before January 27 do I need to bring tax transcripts for 2016 (permanent resident since 2017 and had no income for 2016)?I thought by the time USCIS will get my interview scheduled I will get 2019 done so I'll bring 2017/18/19 to the actual interview so I won't need 2016.

It's just a little bit confusing to me, when you file your N-400 does it mean you have to have all of the 3 years available at the time of the filing or it doesn't matter until the actual interview?

Edited by ~Alessa~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ~Alessa~ said:

Also, another question (a bit confusing one) Me and my spouse haven't filed 2019 tax return yet as IRS starts to accept returns on January 27. Now, if I file N-400 before January 27 do I need to bring tax transcripts for 2016 (permanent resident since 2017 and had no income for 2016)?I thought by the time USCIS will get my interview scheduled I will get 2019 done so I'll bring 2017/18/19 to the actual interview so I won't need 2016.

It's just a little bit confusing to me, when you file your N-400 does it mean you have to have all of the 3 years available at the time of the filing or it doesn't matter until the actual interview?

Nothing firm is published about the fee increase, but it was proposed.  I would expect there would be a notice period provided.

For your application, you would submit the most current returns at the time available.  So if you were filing today, it would be 16, 17, and 18.  You would bring the 19 one to the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cryssiekins said:

Nothing firm is published about the fee increase, but it was proposed.  I would expect there would be a notice period provided.

For your application, you would submit the most current returns at the time available.  So if you were filing today, it would be 16, 17, and 18.  You would bring the 19 one to the interview. 

I see I thought they only want tax returns at the interview. What if I don't have 16? :( I will submit everything online.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, ~Alessa~ said:

I see I thought they only want tax returns at the interview. What if I don't have 16? :( I will submit everything online.

You can request a transcript online from the IRS (or by mail).  Transcripts are better than the actual return for immigration processes.

I believe the online application does ask for the tax information to be uploaded.  (I haven’t filled mine out just yet).  

31 minutes ago, ~Alessa~ said:

A fee change was proposed: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/11/14/2019-24366/us-citizenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule-and-changes-to-certain-other-immigration

The public comment period just ended. USCIS will review the comments and then either work to implement the change (possibly with changes) or not implement it (either directly or by virtue of not acting on it).

They usually post the new fees for a few months before they go into effect.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you were not a permanent resident in 2016 why would they expect you to have filed taxes. You can't produce something that does not exist. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They want the transcripts because you are expected to file taxes for all the years your are required to do so. For you that is 2017-2019. Upload 17 and 18. By the time interview comes around you'll have 2019- the three required years. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.